Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a 2 letter Irish domain

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I trying to buy a two letter irish domain but I am unable to find any site that will let me.

Is there a special produce to buying it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You can't register a two letter dot IE domain name. There's only one two letter IE & that's ul.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Why not?

If ul can get it then why not me?

It's to avoid possible conflicts with other ccTLDs.

ul.ie slipped through before the IEDR existed.

You can register a number & a letter though e.g. m2.ie

It's to avoid possible conflicts with other ccTLDs.

ul.ie slipped through before the IEDR existed.

You can register a number & a letter though e.g. m2.ie

Number and letter are no good for me.

If i contact the IEDR is there any chance of them approving it?

I very much doubt it, but you could always try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I only became aware of the two character aspect last week and of course then it was obvious as in 02.ie!:)

As above contact IEDR but I doubt they will be amenable to the idea although you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

doctorg wrote: »
    Number and letter are no good for me.

If i contact the IEDR is there any chance of them approving it?
    Very unlikely.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can register a 2 character domain ie. letter + number or number + letter

You cannot register a 2 letter domain

The only two letter .ie domain predates the IEDR (ul.ie) and IEDR will not allow any other two letter domains.

Several big companies including HP have been trying to get two letter .ie domain names for years :)

There is no point in you contacting the IEDR about this, as they will say no.

If you want a short domain name there are plenty of other country code extensions that allow single letter and two letter domain names.

Blacknight wrote: »
    You can register a 2 character domain ie. letter + number or number + letter

You cannot register a 2 letter domain

The only two letter .ie domain predates the IEDR (ul.ie) and IEDR will not allow any other two letter domains.

Several big companies including HP have been trying to get two letter .ie domain names for years :)

There is no point in you contacting the IEDR about this, as they will say no.

If you want a short domain name there are plenty of other country code extensions that allow single letter and two letter domain names.

Well I already emailed them..

The only reason I wanted ie was because its for a business and other extensions like .com are already gone.

Advertisement