Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish TY class

• 23-08-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey!

I have a TY Irish class for the first time this year and have been asked to devise a curriculum for a module on 'Irish and Irish culture'. The TY is quite small and consists of mainly ordinary level students. I'll have them for class twice a week. I'm considering doing one class focusing purely on oral work and ensure each student is well equipped to speak the language and do well in the cómhrá part of the Oral for LC.

For the second class on Irish culture I was thinking of doing a short story translated to Irish (any suggestions?), let students do a presentation on an aspect of Irish culture that interests them (sport, music, etc.) maybe enter the TG4 comórtas scannánaíochta... any other activities I could incorporate into this class?! It's nice to have the freedom to go off a set curriculum so would like to use the opportunity to have some fun! Any suggestions welcome! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Almost identical post to that on edposts...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Almost identical post to that on edposts...

And your point is? As long as the OP isn't cross posting over multiple forums on boards, it really doesn't matter at all what other sites they've posted on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Could you link with other subjects? I made bodhráns with a class a few years ago they painted them up in art after making them with me. Played them in music!

I find with things like that if you can keep them short and sweet they enjoy them more. If it drags out for months they lose interest.

You could try cooking an Irish meal as Gaeilge in home ec or get them to do traditional Irish clothing? Maybe a fashion show then during seachtain na Gaeilge where they have to describe the clothes etc as. The show goes on.

Crannógs, fulacht fia, high crosses the list of areas is endless and the cross curricular links are too.

Hope that's some use to you. The Irish teachers probably have better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LadyGaeilge

Thanks for the suggestions bdoo! Some great ideas that never occured to me there! As much cross curriculum learning as possible works best! I'm not blessed with artistic or musical skills myself but i'm sure some of the students are so I will definitely try a few of those ideas out!

How exactly would one go about making a bodhrán?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

You can buy kits which are pre cut so it's just an assembly job, I'll look through my pile of stiff on the desk when I get in on Monday and find the name of the supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Think I remember the TY class doing a project on their surnames a few years ago, through Irish obviously, where it originated, clans, etc, could tie it into Irish folklore perhaps. Of course if you have a large proportion of students who are not Irish or have surnames that are not Irish in origin this won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Think I remember the TY class doing a project on their surnames a few years ago, through Irish obviously, where it originated, clans, etc, could tie it into Irish folklore perhaps. Of course if you have a large proportion of students who are not Irish or have surnames that are not Irish in origin this won't work.

I was thinking that as well, along with Logainmeacha. Get them to research the origins of local placenames etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sean nós dancing is undegoing a revival, good craic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I meant nothing bad by that other than the answers are on the other thread too. There are LOADS of ideas there too. I suppose it doesn't hurt to double post but it does make you identifiable. Which is grand as long as you don't mind I suppose.
    I do legends, geneology, logainmneacha, loads for the scrúdú béal,a blog and a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muirthemne

Hey Lady Gaeilge!!

I had TY for Irish 5 times a week last year!! I did oral work on the same idea of the picture sequences, and also conversation. I also did some mythology with them i.e. banshees, puca etc.....haunted castles and folklore of the local area!!! They also created a magazine for the school including all the extra curricular activities and puzzles etc.

I also spent time on creating stories, starting off with storyboards so the weaker students were involved!

Hope this helps!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement