Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking triangle

Options
  • 24-08-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

It has been great to see a few tourists in and about the Viking triangle lately. But the one major problem with the area is the fact that there is no signage down there to let the tourists where the city centre is. Because the big problem I can see with this lot is that the bus comes in, yanks buy a bit of crystal, see the museums, get back on the bus and continue on their merry way to cork/Killarney. More should be done to keep them in the city to spend their dollars and pounds here rather than in cat or langerland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

There are signs pointing to the shopping district. I had an elderly american women stop me last week beside one of those signs asking where the shops were. When I explained they were about a 5 minute walk in the direction the sign pointed she said that they should have 'moved' the centre closer to the tourist attractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

thomasm wrote: »
    When I explained they were about a 5 minute walk in the direction the sign pointed she said that they should have 'moved' the centre closer to the tourist attractions.

You should have told her that they tried but Brendan McCann objected to it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

The Viking Triangle is a great concept but we seem to have missed the boat this year with the medieval museum only beginning to open now. The new tourist office at the site of the Artwear gallery (Greyfriars/Quay) isn't finished. The promised Quayside shops haven't materialised and the Corpo want hellish rates from the available commercial properties within the Triangle.

Is this just all talk or are they really serious about making it a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Silverado wrote: »
    The Viking Triangle is a great concept but we seem to have missed the boat this year with the medieval museum only beginning to open now. The new tourist office at the site of the Artwear gallery (Greyfriars/Quay) isn't finished. The promised Quayside shops haven't materialised and the Corpo want hellish rates from the available commercial properties within the Triangle.

Is this just all talk or are they really serious about making it a success.

I wouldnt say rates is the problem. Shame museum isnt open at start of summer but sure what can you do. I reckon when the quay is done and some of those buildings finished it will be a desireable area to set up a business. Look at new businesses down on the Mall.
    Added to that, WE need to be a bit more positive (the whining in typical Irish style about the roundabout and future works is shocking, yes i have moaned about pace of works but its a good plan)and support our local businesses in the city centre, far to many people staying out in the suburbs in their cosy local, get into town and support a few city centre businesses, adds vibrancy to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Max Powers wrote: »
    Added to that, WE need to be a bit more positive (the whining in typical Irish style about the roundabout and future works is shocking, yes i have moaned about pace of works but its a good plan)and support our local businesses in the city centre, far to many people staying out in the suburbs in their cosy local, get into town and support a few city centre businesses, adds vibrancy to the place.

Mrs F and I have now established a tradition of going for lunch every Saturday somewhere in the Viking Triangle or nearby. You can't beat the restaurant in the crystal showroom, the Bishop's Palace, Gallwey's, the Royal Café, or Mint. Might try Le Blaa now that it's open.

We don't really drink that much and we don't smoke, so it's one treat that we make sure to award ourselves every week. It's such a lovely area down there that I really look forward to it now every weekend.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Mrs F and I have now established a tradition of going for lunch every Saturday somewhere in the Viking Triangle or nearby. You can't beat the restaurant in the crystal showroom, the Bishop's Palace, Gallwey's, the Royal Café, or Mint. Might try Le Blaa now that it's open.

We don't really drink that much and we don't smoke, so it's one treat that we make sure to award ourselves every week. It's such a lovely area down there that I really look forward to it now every weekend.

nice one, i try to do that once a week at least too. I can give Le Blaa the thumbs up, nice blaas, nice relish on bacon and nice people in there too

Max Powers wrote: »
    I wouldnt say rates is the problem.

I can't agree with you on that point. Shops in the area are expected to pay €2-3000 a year in rates. If someone was only renting for €100 a week then this is seriously pushing the viability of the enterprise. The Corpo really does need a rethink about this issue if they want to draw in small tourist businesses to make the area a commercial reality. Up to now its been a lot of lip service.

Anyone shed any light...There was 1.4million announced in sept 2012 (street furniture etc) and planning signs went up also last year in relation to repaving and all sorts of stuff they were gonna do around the VT? Where is it, when is it starting?
    Have they spent the money elsewhere?
    What about the quay works, I know original contractor went out of business but that is about a year ago now. The place around roundabout looks rough there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I work on the quay and there is plenty work going in the VT most days. The guys working on the old Reginald bar are flat out ( hoping for a August opening).

There is also a lot of activity from WCC, I spoke to one of their guys and he basically said that a lot of "chicken and egg " stuff was happening.

ASFAIK the public realm works such as lighting, paving seating etc in the Cathedral Square and Baileys new street will be finished by the end of the year.

Fingers crossed but I can confirm its all still on the cards.

Heard on WLR news on way home yesterday that work on Quays is to start again, repaving, central median (a great idea) from new roundabout to Gladstone street. If anyone sees/hears exact details, please post.....found it on WLR

Next phase of upgrade work on #Waterford City Quays to begin this month #news
    The next phase of upgrade work on the Mall and on the Quays in Waterford City is to begin by the end of the month. This phase of construction will involve the completion of paving on the Mall, a new central median between the GPO block and the Granville Hotel, and paving work on the Bridge Street and Rice Bridge junction. The works will come about due to funding of 700 thousand euro which was granted to Waterford City Council in February. City Manager Michael Walsh says changing the layout of the quays has invoked criticism locally but this work is for the best.He says these works will ultimately make the city easier to navigate for drivers and pedestrians.Michael Walsh says the quays are the main access point to the city and they need to be easier to use.

• Advertisement

The repaving of Bailey's New St and Cathedral Square also started this week. It is expected to take about 12 weeks.

Advertisement