Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential abuse of my dog by neighbour

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

sungear wrote: »
    franksm wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your trouble with those scumbags.

BTW that grass damage looks like weedkiller or bleach

I was in my shed at the time, I actually smelled that they were at something, I thought it was chemicals they were storing and that they opened a container, the smell isnt usually there, it smelled like a really strong solvent.
    My friend had a look at it and he said if thats roundup, nothing will grow back!
    I dont care about the grass but they sprayed chemicals where my dog, me and my family can be.
    Are they travellers??

Yes they are travellers, while i dont have any time for discrimination, I have less time for anti social behaviour, people locally dont realise the noise they make or how much they block our drive way as they are very sneaky about it, when no one else is around.
    They actually make out they are nice to some neighbours, a few people have told me they are concerned to deal with them, some have said its best to have them onside, but the stuff they are up to next door to me is too much, its ok for others but I get it full force living right next to them.
    There are certain people there that are animals, thats even unfair on animals, I dont want to get banned but I believe they tried to get her with a dangerous chemical, at the least they intentionally sprayed it in my garden. I knew it before but this proves it beyond doubt to me that they are vicious animals.
    Report them to pavee point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

what good will that do? Pavee point are a travellers group, they arent likely to defend my rights or my dog, do you think?
    I dont even want to reach a settlement with them, I want them gone, they prove they cannot behave decently and reasonably. Do you really think Pavee point is useful? seriously?? Im not having a go, I just think at best they will try smooth things over, at worst accuse me of discrimination
    Are you joking me?

what good will that do? Pavee point are a travellers group, they arent likely to defend my rights or my dog, do you think?
    I dont even want to reach a settlement with them, I want them gone, they prove they cannot behave decently and reasonably. Do you really think Pavee point is useful? seriously?? Im not having a go, I just think at best they will try smooth things over, at worst accuse me of discrimination
    Are you joking me?
    Don't know Then man...the council, guards and landlord don't seem to want to help you.
    Time to start a vigilante group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

There are laws against anti social behaviour in housing estates but they generally apply to local authority tenants whereas these appear to be renting from the private sector. The Landlord is responsible for the tenants and he is the one you must direct your attention to. If his tenants are causing a nuisance, then he is liable.

My former neighbours (Americans btw) wound me up so much that I moved house, and I liked where I lived but I couldn't stand them anymore. They would occupy my every waking thought and p1ssed me off whenever I saw them or heard them. Their kids would thrown rubbish over the fence, they would turn a hose on and spray it over the fence or leave it running so the water would pour under the wooden fence and saturate my garden. Their parents didn't give a damn, e.g. The kids broke windows in their own house and the parents just stuck cardboard over the holes, they never cut their grass, left rubbish piled up in the front garden etc etc. the "joys" of some neighbours. What could I do about it? Nothing, so I moved house for peace of mind. It's the nuclear option but how much more of their behaviour can you put up with?

There are laws against anti social behaviour in housing estates but they generally apply to local authority tenants whereas these appear to be renting from the private sector. The Landlord is responsible for the tenants and he is the one you must direct your attention to. If his tenants are causing a nuisance, then he is liable.

My former neighbours (Americans btw) wound me up so much that I moved house, and I liked where I lived but I couldn't stand them anymore. They would occupy my every waking thought and p1ssed me off whenever I saw them or heard them. Their kids would thrown rubbish over the fence, they would turn a hose on and spray it over the fence or leave it running so the water would pour under the wooden fence and saturate my garden. Their parents didn't give a damn, e.g. The kids broke windows in their own house and the parents just stuck cardboard over the holes, they never cut their grass, left rubbish piled up in the front garden etc etc. the "joys" of some neighbours. What could I do about it? Nothing, so I moved house for peace of mind. It's the nuclear option but how much more of their behaviour can you put up with?
    From what I gather the OP owns his house so he can't just move.

• Advertisement

Don't know Then man...the council, guards and landlord don't seem to want to help you.

I know you are trying to help, look thanks for the advice,

My former neighbours
    (Americans btw) wound me up so much that I moved house, and I liked where I lived but I couldn't stand them anymore. They would occupy my every waking thought and p1ssed me off whenever I saw them or heard them. Their kids would thrown rubbish over the fence, they would turn a hose on and spray it over the fence or leave it running so the water would pour under the wooden fence and saturate my garden. Their parents didn't give a damn, e.g. The kids broke windows in their own house and the parents just stuck cardboard over the holes, they never cut their grass, left rubbish piled up in the front garden etc etc. the "joys" of some neighbours. What could I do about it? Nothing, so I moved house for peace of mind. It's the nuclear option but how much more of their behaviour can you put up with?

were they rented?
    Just in case anyone knows me, or if my neigbours are reading this and recognised the picture of my dog which I took down, which is probably unlikely, but anyway

An open letter to my neighbours
    Dear neighbours, your name changes so often you fail to keep up with your own lies, the gardai know who you are it seems, why does it not suprise me.

when I said earlier in the thread that i would leave it as a last resort to contact the HSE and the Social Welfare, thats what it is,but I will carry that out, it is not just a threat, i cannot fail to do that for fear of what you might do, enough is enough. I will do that if all other avenues fail but i will not wait forever, you can be as nice as you like from now on but unless you go at the end of your lease, I will present the previously mentioned organisations eg the council etc with proof of your "other activities" also, which other people around on the road are aware of also. So if you do not leave peacefully, good luck getting the HSE to give you rent allowance somewhere else, and good look thinking the landlord will rent to you if you cant get rent allowance.

To everyone else, I know that sounds nasty but considering their violent tendency towards me, plus other illegal activities beside me, threats of violence, damage to my property,attack on my dog, noise, its nothing.

I know that sounds like hard talk online and i doubt they are even looking but maybe, you never know, anyway I intend to follow this through.

edit, i do own the house, I wish I could just go, but Im here, its not practical or financially possible to move.

edit again, I am indanger of derailing my own thread, this attack on my dog is the last of a long line of stuff done against us, I was suspicious they may try harm her but I felt guilty for even considering it, they proved they are capable of that now and continuing to sink to lower levels and I do not know how far or low they will go, but I think there is no limit, especially if they can or think they can get away with it. I believe it was intentional, I know them and what they are like.
    I'm going to give myself a time out and, do some things on my to do list.
    I appreciate the advice.

I know you are trying to help, look thanks for the advice,

My former neighbours
    (Americans btw) wound me up so much that I moved house, and I liked where I lived but I couldn't stand them anymore. They would occupy my every waking thought and p1ssed me off whenever I saw them or heard them. Their kids would thrown rubbish over the fence, they would turn a hose on and spray it over the fence or leave it running so the water would pour under the wooden fence and saturate my garden. Their parents didn't give a damn, e.g. The kids broke windows in their own house and the parents just stuck cardboard over the holes, they never cut their grass, left rubbish piled up in the front garden etc etc. the "joys" of some neighbours. What could I do about it? Nothing, so I moved house for peace of mind. It's the nuclear option but how much more of their behaviour can you put up with?

were they rented?
    Just in case anyone knows me, or if my neigbours are reading this and recognised the picture of my dog which I took down, which is probably unlikely, but anyway

An open letter to my neighbours
    Dear neighbours, your name changes so often you fail to keep up with your own lies, the gardai know who you are it seems, why does it not suprise me.

when I said earlier in the thread that i would leave it as a last resort to contact the HSE and the Social Welfare, thats what it is,but I will carry that out, it is not just a threat, i cannot fail to do that for fear of what you might do, enough is enough. I will do that if all other avenues fail but i will not wait forever, you can be as nice as you like from now on but unless you go at the end of your lease, I will present the previously mentioned organisations eg the council etc with proof of your "other activities" also, which other people around on the road are aware of also. So if you do not leave peacefully, good luck getting the HSE to give you rent allowance somewhere else, and good look thinking the landlord will rent to you if you cant get rent allowance.

To everyone else, I know that sounds nasty but considering their violent tendency towards me, plus other illegal activities beside me, threats of violence, damage to my property,attack on my dog, noise, its nothing.

I know that sounds like hard talk online and i doubt they are even looking but maybe, you never know, anyway I intend to follow this through.

edit, i do own the house, I wish I could just go, but Im here, its not practical or financially possible to move.

edit again, I am indanger of derailing my own thread, this attack on my dog is the last of a long line of stuff done against us, I was suspicious they may try harm her but I felt guilty for even considering it, they proved they are capable of that now and continuing to sink to lower levels and I do not know how far or low they will go, but I think there is no limit, especially if they can or think they can get away with it. I believe it was intentional, I know them and what they are like.
    I'm going to give myself a time out and, do some things on my to do list.
    I appreciate the advice.
    There is only 2 things these types are afraid of in my experience...Big dogs and guns...
    They are not afraid or worried about guards in any way...it's the other way round actually.

They will continue to intimidate you and your family...
    A strongly worded letter to the landlord today OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They sound like a nightmare TBH.

And as we all know travelogue amongst others have more rights than the rest of us put together .

They ve been quiet since your landlord spoke to them. That's something.

Your dog is your weak spot, and is a target.

I would aim by the sounds of their behaviour to be commiting to spending a fiver a week on having them evicted. Registered letter; once a week; to the landlord , with a list of whatever antisocial actions that have been impacting in you ; littering, noise, blocking your house, smoking & dropping butts in your garden. , etc. WTF is your neighbour doing renting to travellers? Gas he rented to the council under that 5 year scheme where the council guarantees rent fir 5 yes & you have to take whomever they send? If so; after 5 years you'll have some problem shifting them.

I'd start dealing with it now ; if your LL finds it a pain in HiS neck to have them as tenants he will find them in breech if his lease/contract & have them moved . Why should you have to put up with the antisocial behaviour & danger so s/he can line their pickets & make a profit.

I'd be looking for a meeting with the local Garda seargent & making a statement. I'd also be involving them in a FORMAL way and putting things in writing ; if they want to help you they have the means to. Don't give them the opportunity to say they didn't know . Ask in writing for a response in writing; and ask is there anything they need from you to ensure the ongoing issue us dealt with by them. Don't give them the chance to nit bother or say you hadn't followed their fantasy procedures.

Nightmare situation.

You could also go to FLAC & get their input ; if it's harassment, or steps for a ( useless) ASBO, or how to engage... Well wirth a try.

Good luck & don't trust thdm with your dig or food in the garden for a minute :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Ease up there on the anti Traveller rant. Apart from the fact that you are verging on breaking the law (check out the Equal Status Act), not all neighbours from hell are Travellers. My last neighbours were well to do Yanks and they threw rubbish over my wall, their kids were up on the bonnet of my car, they threw stones at my windows, you couldn't sit out in the back garden because their kids would turn a hose on and spray it over the wall etc etc. Oh and they and their relatives/friends would block our driveway on a daily basis. As they owned their house, there was little we could do but move. So deal with this as it is, the OP's neighbours are a pain because they are scumbags and not because they are Travellers.

I do agree that documenting every anti social occurrence and submitting to the Landlord should be the first step in taking action. If the Landlord ignores this, let him know that he was given every chance to remedy the situation and now he will be made responsible in Court for the actions of his tenants. Photographs of blocked driveways, cigarette butt mountains, scorched grass from the chemical etc should be taken and kept for evidence. It will be slow and laborious but if the OP builds a strong enough case supported by evidence, then he will stand a good chance of resolving this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Sungear, best bet may be to make contact with the PRTB. They will be quick to get on to the landlord of that property. I have seen this in motion, and it's similar to solicitors letters going back and forth. If the landlord does not play ball, he can be fined quite heavily.

• Advertisement

Just going to reply to what was posted since I last did,

I was thinking of getting a big dog, I was already thinking of getting one but i really wanted to hold off a few years until my dog is a bit older. I'd like if i could get some kind of training programme for a dog,if such a thing exist so that I could just complete a list of tasks routinely until the dog has passed certain stages of training, thats probably a bit simplistic, but I would like a dog that can be a family pet and a watch dog and be trainable and follow my commands, ie so i can command it to eat and not someone chucking stuff over the wall, not sure how successful that is, therefore maybe I could leave them out the back.
    But I was thinking of that anyway, it would be a big task just as a response to this.

I didnt think of FLAC, thanks, I'll look them up and see if there is an office near.

I have been in touch with the PRTB, and Local Authority and HSE, its slow going, they are being quiet for the moment, but it never lasts, they are adults so should have behaved like that.
    The landlord isnt disengaged but the attitude seems to be to pacify the situation, in my opinion enough chances have been given enough times, the last one recently was broken in a few hours in what I consider a dangerous, malicious, vicious manner.
    They've been there long enough, time for them to move on, it always comes back to more of the same and I believe no matter how good they might be for a week or two, they should have considered this before.
    Basically we want them gone, I've heard some other members of their family have been trouble elsewhere but i have yet to confirm this and where, from my experience, Im not surprised.

I might ask FLAC but is there some precedent for suing a landlord for the effect they have on your life, it sounds douchy but its been a bloody nightmare due to their hands off landlording, most of their tenants have been like this, in fact i think it is the reason for it, they just let people in and they dissapear, no inspections, no follow up with us or any consideration, just ohh we thought everything was ok, the tenant always says you go to them with any problems, such a horse**** excuse.

franksm wrote: »
    Sungear, best bet may be to make contact with the PRTB. They will be quick to get on to the landlord of that property. I have seen this in motion, and it's similar to solicitors letters going back and forth. If the landlord does not play ball, he can be fined quite heavily.

Actually, from what I was told, it seems I apply for the address from the PRTB, then I send the letter? Im not sure, they are sending me out stuff
    The landlords contact details application form
    and
    a dispute resolution form.

Im waiting on the HSE to get back onto me too as these people are getting rent allowance for a private letting, I want to find out what the procedure is to report them there, if they cant let us live in peace, which simply will never happen, then i am going to make them suffer too.

In reality I am going to offer them to go or I will hand over their details and they will be evicted eventually, and not get supplement for somewhere else, plus the landlord wont get his cut, but i want to know how to go about it so i can just get on it straight away.

I really dont care if they say they really will agree to peacful coexistance this time, as we just agreed that a week ago, when they did what they did,they just keep going further and further. They really have a huge chip on their shoulders I think, I actually dont know what their problem is, I think they are just assh0les.

My dog doesnt seem affected now,(unlike the time of the event) she isnt showing any abnormal signs. I will bring her to the vet during this week, had I suspected she was affected in pain or discomfort I would have brought her straight away but Im not even sure in that case if it would have done her any good. The other day she did something she has done very very rarely , she growled, she stood in the middle of the garden and did this at the neighbours garden?, I think someone was in there but they slinked off, I went out to look as was int eh kitchen and keeping an eye on her while doing stuff. I'm not sure if Im getting paranoid but i think they did try something, as in beckon her over then try get her that day. She has growled down the side gate once or twice when she hears loads of them out the front and I havent discouraged it, I think maybe it is a terretorial or defensive behaviour? she isnt aggressive at all? and is usually playful.

Any update OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I would like a dog that can be a family pet and a watch dog and be trainable and follow my commands, ie so i can command it to eat and not someone chucking stuff over the wall, not sure how successful that is, therefore maybe I could leave them out the back.

that is no type of solution i'm afraid. not saying guard dogs and family pet is mutually exclusive but they are very different. also, do you have a few grand to spend on a dog that comes from a working background and a few more for professional training classes/materials, plus hundreds of hours to train him? training a guard dog is serious stuff and this is absolutely not what they are meant to be trained for. do you really think you are going to be able to train a dog to only eat on command? and how do you think this attack dog and your current dog are going to co-exist?

i know you're desperate to do something about them but the only thing you can do is move, any way you can. the people you are complaining to are going to offer little help, and the neighbors will just retaliate. i know it sucks that a nice law abiding person has to give in to these kinds of scum, but there just isn't any real authority in this country and unless they get caught selling drugs they won't be locked up at all. i've had situations like this and they made me so mad i was considering doing things to 'sort them out' that would have been totally against the law because i knew that going to the garda was useless, the people in question were in court all the time for something and would pay a few pound, say they were sorry, plead they had drink problems, etc. it was like going to mass for them really. but that would have brought me down to their level and being violent just isn't what i'm about. it was a hassle, but i just packed up and left and now their someone else's problem.

Any update OP

So far, they have stayed quiet and left us alone, but I am crossing my fingers
    sligoface wrote: »
    that is no type of solution i'm afraid. not saying guard dogs and family pet is mutually exclusive but they are very different. also, do you have a few grand to spend on a dog that comes from a working background and a few more for professional training classes/materials, plus hundreds of hours to train him? training a guard dog is serious stuff and this is absolutely not what they are meant to be trained for. do you really think you are going to be able to train a dog to only eat on command? and how do you think this attack dog and your current dog are going to co-exist?

i know you're desperate to do something about them but the only thing you can do is move, any way you can. the people you are complaining to are going to offer little help, and the neighbors will just retaliate. i know it sucks that a nice law abiding person has to give in to these kinds of scum, but there just isn't any real authority in this country and unless they get caught selling drugs they won't be locked up at all. i've had situations like this and they made me so mad i was considering doing things to 'sort them out' that would have been totally against the law because i knew that going to the garda was useless, the people in question were in court all the time for something and would pay a few pound, say they were sorry, plead they had drink problems, etc. it was like going to mass for them really. but that would have brought me down to their level and being violent just isn't what i'm about. it was a hassle, but i just packed up and left and now their someone else's problem.

You are right, another dog isn't really a solution, its something we thought about before but decided against for a while. Moving is a plan that we hope will be possible eventually. It has actually been quiet here since I got onto the landlord the last time,but I'm not sure if it is because he said something to them or because they mostly aren't around for some reason. It has actually been peaceful and nice, but I am wondering how long it will last.
    Our dog has been fine since, but on a few occasions while napping in the front room, she has hopped up in a very alert manner and given what I describe as a very low half bark/growl towards their side. When I listen intently I could hear a particular person moving outside/talking even lowly, I didn't even hear it until I paid attention. I think she doesn't like that person now, she didnt really do this before and growled in the direction of the dividing wall a few times. Other than one or two occasions, She did not do this before so I think it points to that something did happen.

Advertisement