Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy's A Bit Special

• 24-08-2012 3:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty cheesy name I know, but on another forum I noticed a link to this feature that Four Four Two magazine do.

Basically they ask a young up and coming player (at the time) questions such as highlight of his career so far, lowlight, strengths, weakness, who he'd compare himself to, toughest opponent and where he sees his career going in 5 years time. Of course they have the filler questions such as favourite film etc too but it's a decent feature IMO.

The link below is for Steven Fletcher's (from 2006 when he was at Hibs) but if you follow that and look to the right hand side of the page there's a lot more on. It's pretty interesting to see if careers have panned out as they planned, if they have improved on their weaknesses etc.

http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/boysabitspecial/358/article.aspx

Others players include Darren Bent (from 2002), Theo Walcott (from 2006), Shane Long (from 2006), Aiden McGeady (from 2005), Lassana Diarra (from 2005), John Ruddy (from 2005), Daniel Sturridge (from 2007), Ashley Young (from 2006) and loads more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Good spot mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/boysabitspecial/320/article.aspx
    In five years time I’ll be…
    Hopefully enjoying my fifth season in the first team for City and playing international football – but seeing as I can play for England, Ireland and Italy, I’m not sure who it will be for.

*Taking deep deep breaths*

Must say I am surprised- I always knew he was eligible for all three but had no idea he had so explicitly stated his window shopping intent. Pretty much advertising himself to Italy/ England there (I doubt too many English managers would even think to check to see if a talented Irish player was eligible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Fabrice Muamba there too - mad to think in five years he'd be retired.

So strange how life pans out sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Michael Mancienne is a Fish Go Deep fan. Nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Must say I am surprised- I always knew he was eligible for all three but had no idea he had so explicitly stated his window shopping intent. Pretty much advertising himself to Italy/ England there (I doubt too many English managers would even think to check to see if a talented Irish player was eligible)

That interview would have been after he was shafted by Don Givens at a u19 match so he probably didn't know if he'd get an Irish call up with the way the FAI is such a cliquey joke of an organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Aiden McGeady :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Walcott:

Strengths
    My touch, awareness?!?

really?

Seaneh wrote: »
    That interview would have been after he was shafted by Don Givens at a u19 match so he probably didn't know if he'd get an Irish call up with the way the FAI is such a cliquey joke of an organisation.

Shafted? :confused: S Ireland threw his toys out of the pram because he thought he was going to be playing a match in Cork and then turned out to be benched, after having invited all of his family and friends to come and see him play. If you cant hack not being played because you told all your mates you were on you really are not suited to the realities of the game.

You forgot this bit:
    Wheels
    I’m still struggling to drive – if you ask me again in 10 years I still won’t be driving. I just can’t drive and even when I’ve booked in lessons the football seems to get in the way and I just can’t be bothered. I’m way too lazy.

You forgot this bit:

Well spotted! Not too lazy to customise the colours! :pac:

• Advertisement

Shafted? :confused: S Ireland threw his toys out of the pram because he thought he was going to be playing a match in Cork and then turned out to be benched, after having invited all of his family and friends to come and see him play. If you cant hack not being played because you told all your mates you were on you really are not suited to the realities of the game.

No, he was told he would be starting, so bought his family tickets, he was told several times he would play the first half and then an hour before kick off was told he wasn't going to get a run out at all.

That's Trap-esque man management failing there.

Don Givens is known for having no man management skills.
    He has seriously pissed off generations of irish underage players with his bull****.

No, he was told he would be starting, so bought his family tickets, he was told several times he would play the first half and then an hour before kick off was told he wasn't going to get a run out at all.

It would be a serious personal disappointment, but his inability to look over it and take a mature stand on it rather than casting his rod out for England or Italy to bite shows his immaturity.

Actually mind I could have sworn it was a Kerr underage side he fell out with, not Givens?

It would be a serious personal disappointment, but his inability to look over it and take a mature stand on it rather than casting his rod out for England or Italy to bite shows his immaturity.

Actually mind I could have sworn it was a Kerr underage side he fell out with, not Givens?

You are right it was Kerr, and then Givens wouldn't call him up afterwards and Kerr ignored him at serior level.

Ireland Said he wouldn't play for Kerr again.

Kerr left and he played for the senior team.

As for him saying he didn't know who it would be for, surely, if he thought Kerr was going to be Ireland manager for 10 year or so (entirely possible) he didn't have much hope of actually playing for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Fabrice Muamba there too - mad to think in five years he'd be retired.

So strange how life pans out sometimes.
    At least he seemed to have some sort of plans if football didn't work out.

As for him saying he didn't know who it would be for, surely, if he thought Kerr was going to be Ireland manager for 10 year or so (entirely possible) he didn't have much hope of actually playing for Ireland.

Being honest, if Kerr had not lost his job (which basically means we would have went to Germany 2006) if S Ireland was showing the form at City that he was when he came into Stans squads around 2006- 07 I cant imagine Kerr would have been able to resist the public pressure (and recommendations from the likes of Dunne) to bring him in. IMO S Ireland was looking out for number one and the money in selling himself to the foreign national teams, nothing to do with trying to frighten Ireland into playing him.

Being honest, if Kerr had not lost his job (which basically means we would have went to Germany 2006) if S Ireland was showing the form at City that he was when he came into Stans squads around 2006- 07 I cant imagine Kerr would have been able to resist the public pressure (and recommendations from the likes of Dunne) to bring him in. IMO S Ireland was looking out for number one and the money in selling himself to the foreign national teams, nothing to do with trying to frighten Ireland into playing him.

"selling himself?" It was a one line answer to a question in four-four-two when he was 19, not an ESPN "The Decision" type affair.

And how would it be for money? It's international football ffs.

Get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Doocey wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady :pac:

Not a fan of Titmuss? Is he gay?

Advertisement