Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

No
    I guess that explains the timing of the admission so...

Bummer! Just after finishing The Secret Race. My impression of Lance was extremely low prior to reading it, but even i was shocked at how he comes across in the book. By all accounts, the man is a complete sociopath! There is no justice in the world if he gets away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

No
    @leftism i though the same about the texan after reading the secret race. what a book...apologies if its been brought up earlier but will his segment on oprah be broadcast on sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    The Sunday Times have taken out a full page ad in todays Chicago Tribune with ten questions they'd like asked, the final being why did he choose Oprah for his first interview.

Apparently USADA also had given him an out by saying they'll only take away his tour titles within the eight year limitation if he cooperated but instead he walked away telling them they had no jurisdiction, only the UCI did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    From cyclingnews.com
    Armstrong to attempt reconciliation with Landis?
    Anonymous sources have revealed to the USA Today that Lance Armstrong will attempt to mend his relationship with former U.S. Postal teammate Floyd Landis as part of his plans to confess his doping past which includes an interview with Oprah Winfrey, scheduled to air later this week.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No
    David Walsh about to come on the Darcy Show on Today FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    Good article on the subject
    Once Lance Armstrong, whose legend became so much bigger than the facts, was willing to say anything, hurt anybody, call people bitter or call them whores, who got in his way. Now he is willing to say anything to still make himself the hero of his own drama, the mythology he created and others helped create for him. That doesn’t make you a saint or an icon or a hero. It makes you a cornered rat.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/lupica-armstrong-worldwide-web-lies-article-1.1239104#ixzz2Hwv3Xxk0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    Synode wrote: »
    David Walsh about to come on the Darcy Show on Today FM

Listening now but don't expect much, Darcy is an awful interviewer.

edit: yes, he brings the story off in a tangent about a man and a dog called Lance. David, the consummate pro, steers it back on course. And Ray is well researched as usual, his final question was to ask why Lance never tested positive. Oprah will be like Paxman in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Listening now but don't expect much, Darcy is an awful interviewer.

True. The interview is more aimed at those who don't know much about the situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Synode wrote: »
    True. The interview is more aimed at those who don't know much. about the situation.

Probably better sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Is there any links out there to Travis Tygart's interview on the 60 Minutes program that was aired last week on Showcase?

I haven't been able to find a full link (only the snippet taken from the interview)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    Another lance fan admits he was completely wrong:
    The interview is to air Thursday. But I will give you a preview now for determining his veracity:

Whatever he says, subtract by a thousand, divide by two, then three, then multiply the whole sum of bull**** by zero.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/14/buzz-bissinger-i-was-deluded-to-believe-lance-armstrong-when-he-denied-doping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Yes, but he's still great
    Have to be wind up merchants :confused:

I'll be honest and say that perhaps I was still being hopeful that he was innocent and that the lack of a positive drug result was still giving me hope.

I feel pretty stupid now.

A non-cyclist was asking me if I was going to stay up and watch the Oprah interview and what my thoughts were on the whole situation. Jist of it that I feel pretty let down. I still think he did a great job with his charity work but it's all been tarnished by the deceit and lies. Even after gettng stripped of the tour titles a little humility would have gone a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Quote from Nicole Cooke who retired today.

When Lance cries on Oprah later this week and she passes him the tissue, spare a thought for all those genuine people who walked away with no rewards - just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances.

She has a lot to say, well worth a read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20946301

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/analysis/commentary-forget-oprah-what-is-armstrong-offering-usada_271409

Could this be true? Could lance really be willing to spill the beans on high level corruption in exchange for leniency from USADA?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

furiousox wrote: »
    Quote from Nicole Cooke who retired today.

When Lance cries on Oprah later this week and she passes him the tissue, spare a thought for all those genuine people who walked away with no rewards - just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances.

She has a lot to say, well worth a read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20946301

That is a very good read. Very refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

No
    G-Money wrote: »
    Anyone know if this will be shown on TV here in Ireland? Live or delayed even? I don't see it listed on Discovery on Thursday night/Friday morning.

Discovery are promoing it now, 2-3.25am on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Rovi wrote: »
    Discovery are promoing it now, 2-3.25am on Friday.

Cheers, just set the Sky box to record that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Do you know if it will be on tv or will I have to stream it?

Live on discovery and again at 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

No
    Just saw this story if anyone is interested - I presume the first and last line means it's being recorded today, however it says they 'Gathered in a downtown hotel' for the interview, so not in his home as had been suggested.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235104578241914059224112.html

• Advertisement

No
    Plenty of anonymous sources stoking the fires.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    Hermy wrote: »
    Plenty of anonymous sources stoking the fires.

I heard from my neighbour, who knows a guy, whose sister lives above the apartment of one of the charity workers aunt, that he did it while wearing all of his yellow jerseys at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    happytramp wrote: »
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/analysis/commentary-forget-oprah-what-is-armstrong-offering-usada_271409

Could this be true? Could lance really be willing to spill the beans on high level corruption in exchange for leniency from USADA?

I would actually like to see everyone who facilitated the charade outed, especially any organisations like the UCI who had responsibility for letting him get off free.

No
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I heard from my neighbour, who knows a guy, whose sister lives above the apartment of one of the charity workers aunt, that he did it while wearing all of his yellow jerseys at once.

But they're not his jerseys any more, are they?
    So it must have been Colonel Mustard in the drawing room!!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

I would actually like to see everyone who facilitated the charade outed, especially any organisations like the UCI who had responsibility for letting him get off free.

LA support are naive, they still want to believe in the miracle,many showing public support that makes them look stupid, yes I am looking at you Graham Watson and you too Phil Ligget and good old Lancy he is going to throw them all under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Lance Armstrong confessed to Oprah Winfrey during an interview Monday that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win the Tour de France...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/lance-armstrong-confesses-oprah-interview_n_2475422.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Conflicting report from SSN saying there will be no confession, we may have to wait until the actual screening to find out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Conflicting report from SSN saying there will be no confession, we may have to wait until the actual screening to find out :(

of course there won't, if he does he opens himself to too many legal challenges by sponsors etc (not that he's in a good position re that anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

of course there won't, if he does he opens himself to too many legal challenges by sponsors etc (not that he's in a good position re that anyway)

On what grounds would they have for lawsuits against him? Assuming his contracts didn't have a "I will not cheat" clause?

Advertisement