Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

No
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    Folk seem to be misinterpreting what Oprah said today. Sky News, in particular, seem to be stuck on the words 'did not come clean'. If they hear in full what she said you might get the more likely interpretation that Armstrong spoke more candidly than anyone might have expected.

I reckon he has pulled the trigger on the UCI, not necessarilly naming names but stating that they were either complicite in covering up tests or delberately turned a blind eye to any drug taking by Postal/Discovery etc.

Whatever the case I would be most interested in an open discussion with the likes of Walsh, Kimmage and others face to face with Armstrong. Given the heavy Irish involvement with the whole affair, something like a Frontline/Primetime special chaired by Pat Kenny with as many of the characters involved would be interesting. Of course there is the danger that after a while - as others above point out - you begin to pander to Lance and allow him to direct the narrative of his reform and his potential for profiting from this.

BTW, Wiggo needs a brief history lesson from what I've heard from him this evening. Apparently 'the nineties are a write-off' according to Sir Bradley. No Brad , 'the noughties' were a write-off even more so!

Think you forgot the sarcasm icon there for the bit in bold? Think the 'debate' with Roche, Walsh and the Bill Twomey that Kenny chaired on the Late Late show a decade ago did the rounds here recently....suffice to say that Kenny does not come out of it positively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    I kinda agree with Marc Madiot.....I begining to wish Armstrong would just go away, ignoring him is the best bet to get rid of him

http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/40603547889/madiot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Think you forgot the sarcasm icon there for the bit in bold? Think the 'debate' with Roche, Walsh and the Bill Twomey that Kenny chaired on the Late Late show a decade ago did the rounds here recently....suffice to say that Kenny does not come out of it positively.

To be fair that was a sign of the times, also Kenny was never the right personality for a show like the late late, he is better suited to the frontline.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    @Marc Madiot
    Armstrong is only gone a couple of years and sadly the doping culture of which he was a leading exponent didn't retire with him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

No
    ...suffice to say that Kenny does not come out of it positively.

Indeed he didn't. So too the recent interview he did with David Walsh before he interviewed McQuaid.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Paully D wrote: »
    Is David Walsh's ''Seven Deadly Sins'' book worth picking up? Cheers.

I found it enjoyable but it's mostly stuff you already know. If you're not intimately acquainted with every aspect of the case it's a great way to get up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Really it could be Pat Kenny, Davina McCall, Dustin the Turkey. Just anyone to host a programme and allow Walsh, Kimmage and the like to ask the questions that we the cycling fans want to hear answered. Let the Americans deal with the serious issue of Livestrong and the federal aspects of the case. We want to know about Simeone and Basssons, Emma O'Reilly and the UCI etc.

OF course you'd never get Armstrong in an RTE studio. You'd have to pay him big bucks to get him over here!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    WADA are not participating in the UCI independent inquiry as its "too focused on Armstrong" and "time limited"..
    Poor decision on their part IMO

http://playtrue.wada-ama.org/news/wada-will-not-partake-in-uci-independent-commission/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

No
    Wiggans wrote:
    ... it's sad for the sport. I don't know what the bitter people such as kimmage are now going to do with their lives.

Un-be-lievable quote for Wiggans to come out with. Absolutely bewildering. I didn't have much grá for Wiggans all along but watching the 'Year in Yellow' documentary changed my opinion of him somewhat and I warmed. But holy fúck, what a thing to come out with.

Click, find the Off the ball programme, Jan 15, part one, 11m40secs http://media.newstalk.ie/archive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

No
    Plastik wrote: »
    Un-be-lievable quote for Wiggans to come out with. Absolutely bewildering. I didn't have much grá for Wiggans all along but watching the 'Year in Yellow' documentary changed my opinion of him somewhat and I warmed. But holy fúck, what a thing to come out with.

Click, find the Off the ball programme, Jan 15, part one, 11m40secs http://media.newstalk.ie/archive

They're reaction to what Wiggo said is the same as when they had Nico on. They're more interested in what he said about their mates (Kimmage and Walshe) and how dare he attack them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    He appears to be taking the same tactics as Armstrong did, attack those who ask the pertinent questions about you and your team.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    He appears to be taking the same tactics as Armstrong did, attack those who ask the pertinent questions about you and your team.
    Please keep the discussion to Armstrong and do not try to use this as an opportunity to resurrect the Wiggins discussion

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No
    Dick Pound: Armstrong implicating UCI could lead to cycling being dropped from the Olympics
    IOC member Dick Pound says his organisation may be left with no choice other than to take drastic action if Armstrong proved that the International Cycling Union (UCI) had acted improperly.

"The only way it is going to clean up is if all these people say 'hey, we're no longer in the Olympics and that's where we want to be so let's earn our way back into it,'" Pound said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

No
    drogdub wrote: »
    They're reaction to what Wiggo said is the same as when they had Nico on. They're more interested in what he said about their mates (Kimmage and Walshe) and how dare he attack them.

Their reaction was absolutely spot-on. To wonder what "bitter people like Kimmage are going to do with their lives"!? That line should have been I wonder what people such as Kimmage, who have now been vindicated completely, will turn their hands to next. Disgraceful answer from Wiggans TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On the Dick Pound IOC issue, 1st I heard I was a bit worried. Then i thoght for the IOC to call into question any sporting body is a bit rich. I mean come on, athletics and swimming anyone? What about weightlifting. Gynastics had a terrible reputation for years (especially the eastern block countries). And there is plenty of rumours about IOC corruption about.

However, maybe this is exactly the type of thing that cycling needs to clean itself up. If LA does implicate the UCI and it faces exsplusion from IOC then I would hope that that would drive change at the very top and we might actually get something positive for all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins.

At least get his name right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

No
    @ leroy42 - genuine question - where the governing bodies in swimming, athletics, weightlifting etc implicated in facilitating and ignoring widespread doping in their respective sports to the same level the UCI are alleged to have been, or was it individuals/teams in those sports?

• Advertisement

No
    Lumen wrote: »
    Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins. Wiggins.

At least get his name right.
    Wigans :D
    Despite improving immensely during his spell with Garmin, he used a rather unflattering football analogy to summarise his thoughts on the issue.

"It's a bit like trying to win the Champions League and to win the Champions League you go to Manchester United and I'm probably playing at Wigan at the moment. I'll probably have to make that step to do it," Wiggins told the BBC.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/wiggins-at-wigan-but-wants-to-sign-for-united-23382/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    On the Dick Pound IOC issue, 1st I heard I was a bit worried. Then i thoght for the IOC to call into question any sporting body is a bit rich. I mean come on, athletics and swimming anyone? What about weightlifting. Gynastics had a terrible reputation for years (especially the eastern block countries). And there is plenty of rumours about IOC corruption about.
    In fairness, I don't think you could doubt Dick Pound's commitment to eradicating doping. Pat McQuaid and his ilk at the top of the UCI, you could very easily doubt.

No
    Wiggo. He doesn't deserve to have his name spelled correctly at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    Beasty wrote: »
    Please keep the discussion to Armstrong and do not try to use this as an opportunity to resurrect the Wiggins discussion

Thanks

Beasty

I think you may have read too much into my post, I wasn't implying or resurrecting anything apart from his dislike of being questioned. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

No
    Wiggo. He doesn't deserve to have his name spelled correctly at the moment.

Too true, that was a shocking response from him yesterday.

No
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    However, maybe this is exactly the type of thing that cycling needs to clean itself up. If LA does implicate the UCI and it faces exsplusion from IOC then I would hope that that would drive change at the very top and we might actually get something positive for all of this.

Silly question perhaps but why is expulsion from the IOC such a massive blow?
    My perception would be that the Olympics rate below the Grand Tours and the Worlds so what is the knock-on effect of being put out of the IOC? Does the UCI recieve it's charter from the IOC?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    ThisRegard wrote: »

I think you may have read too much into my post, I wasn't implying or resurrecting anything apart from his dislike of being questioned. That's all.
    It's not just your post, and I was wanting to head off further discussion on him by others, given we had recently closed a thread on Wiggins because of the direction in which it was heading

Any further questions on this, please PM me. There is to be no discussion of mod instructions/actions in-thread

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No
    Hermy wrote: »
    My perception would be that the Olympics rate below the Grand Tours and the Worlds so what is the knock-on effect of being put out of the IOC? Does the UCI recieve it's charter from the IOC?

Sponsors wouldn't be happy I'd imagine.

No
    Hermy wrote: »

Suppose it depends if they ban just road cycling or also ban Track, BMX and MTB. It would be a big blow to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    Over at YLYL:
    efb wrote: »
    304119_10152409952230587_1607365339_n.jpg

Advertisement