Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Yeah...Yeah...you dirty lying mother****er!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    Arawn wrote: »
    well I've lost all future income
    Not quite. Just ring Paul and David and ask them real nice to ghost write the new book It Really Isn't About The Bike.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

"I lost $75-million once, but I found it when we had someone come in to steam-clean the couches." — Oprah

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The man is absolute vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

''What's the moral of the story?''

''Don't get caught!''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Complete Bull the whole 2 hours

He didnt even have the balls to tell the whole story

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

No
    Not even a mention of dodgeball? Fúcking Oprah....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

No
    To summarise both interviews;

1st minute; Lance admits doping,
    The rest; Bulls**t, damage limitations and a few tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

'Highlight' of the second part:

The completely pre-fabricated, bullsh*t story about talking to his 13 year old designed to tug at the heart strings. Anyone remember being 13? What were the chances that you would have that conversation with your father!

I also enjoyed the 100% lack of substance through the whole thing. Oprah earned her fee ($0) in that one.

The lies regarding Kirsten were great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

andy69 wrote: »
    Cavendish tells report to f**koff for asking a question about Lance!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PGsHoVYTk&feature=youtu.be

Heard an interview with his compatriot, Bradley Wiggins, yesterday.

You'd think he'd be delighted that Armstrong was finally, definitely caught/had confessed to his indiscretions, and that the sport he participates in/loves can move on.

Curiously, though, he didn't really seem interested in that; he seemed more interested in putting the boot into the journalists who worked to uncover Armstong's lies.

At one point he said something like, regarding those journalists, with what seemed to me like a disdainful tone, '..i wonder what they'll do with their lives now?..'

Sounded just like other cyclist's i heard interviewed before the Armstong scandal broke.

Hmmmmm.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Is the poll still open? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ciarán_R

No
    That was hard to watch, he's such an manipulative prick. That "scene" when he tries to cry is so cringe worthy!

He constantly says "i wont say this" but then DOES say it or at least he implies it. Or he tries to dissociate himself from himself! It wasn't me it was him! some examples that stick out to me..

"I'm not going to say everyone else doped, I cant speak for all 200 cyclists. They will say here's 5 guys who didn't cheat" (implying 195 people cheated)

or

Every time they showed a clip of him lying he would say, "yea i know, terrible, such an arrogant jerk that guy is"

was so obvious he was working to a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Ciarán_R wrote: »
    That was hard to watch, he's such an manipulative prick. That "scene" when he tries to cry is so cringe worthy!

He constantly says "i wont say this" but then DOES say it or at least he implies it. Or he tries to dissociate himself from himself! It wasn't me it was him! some examples that stick out to me..

"I'm not going to say everyone else doped, I cant speak for all 200 cyclists. They will say here's 5 guys who didn't cheat" (implying 195 people cheated)

or

Every time they showed a clip of him lying he would say, "yea i know, terrible, such an arrogant jerk that guy is"

was so obvious he was working to a script.

First person i've ever seen 'cry' without being able to summon tears..

Look, the guy is what he is, and this interview will be a case study for psychology.

Felt very uncomfortable to watch, wanted to turn it off at many points, but kept watching; suppose that's the ghoul in me.

We all have flaws..

Oprah did a sterling job; she wasn't too pushy, she tried to be understanding and she wasn't unkind.

She let him reveal himself.

Still was an uncomfortable watch towards the end, though; there was nowhere to go for him/the control he based his entire being upon was gone.

Was like seeing a cornered, wounded animal being poked with a stick, ultimately..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

ascanbe wrote: »
    First person i've ever seen 'cry' without being able to summon tears..

Look, the guy is what he is, and this interview will be a case study for psychology.

Felt very uncomfortable to watch, wanted to turn it off at many points, but kept watching; suppose that's the ghoul in me.

We all have flaws..

Oprah did a sterling job; she wasn't too pushy, she tried to be understanding and she wasn't unkind.

She let him reveal himself.

Still was an uncomfortable watch towards the end, though; there was nowhere to go for him/the control he based his entire being upon was gone.

Was like seeing a cornered, wounded animal being poked with a stick, ultimately..

Were we watching the same interview, he had alot more control than was touted it was 6 questions that people wanted, 1 hour 45 mins of limitation and laying ground work for his redemption story

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He claimed towards the end of the interview to have "lost his way" after cancer. But he admits to doping before cancer.

It's just nonsense, a magic 8-ball of bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

No
    For all the sporting achievements Irish people had last year there is no Irish sports person I am prouder of than David Walsh. LA not fit to clean his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

No
    leftism wrote: »
    Just to recap how the 2009 Tour went down....

396167_10151342892203374_10737233_n.jpg

No no no - that was the 90s. All good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Few quick points;

LA must think we are all stupid if he thinks people will believe that performance
    McQuaid was very quick to come out after the 1st program saying that the UCI was cleared - so a TV 'confession' from a known lier is now enough?
    Why are people complaining about Oprah - this was a tv interview not an investigation. Of course it didn't dig into the details, most of the people watching couldn't care less.
    Walsh & Kimmage now need to turn their attention away from LA and onto the bigger picture. Forget the individual riders and focus on the teams/management & UCI.
    Thank God for USADA - Tygart you sir are a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

No
    I missed part 2? Anyone know where I can watch the full thing online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

No
    tbh I thought the net would have been flooded with video of the full interviews, but no nothing, not a saussage :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

No
    It was sickening. He claimed to not be the ring leader, or to require team mates to dope, after all, they're grown men, capable of making their own decisions. Then later when asked about his 2005 deposition, and his law suits against people he knew to be innocent, said that was the work of someone who expected to get what he wanted all the time, who manipulated people and didn't think about not getting his way.

Claiming he was clean in 08-09 was am obvious attempt to get his ban imposed from 05. If that works, i will be appalled.

Kimmage, Walsh, Tygart, et al should be proud of the work they've achieved so far. La was an awful pox on the sport and the public, one of a the worst examples of celebrity to emerge from sport, and to have him exposed as such is great vindication for them. But overall, it doesn't help cycling all that much as long as McQuaid and his ilk still head up the organisation. The really hard work is not exposing the consequences of a deficient system, but making genuine change to that system. Is there the energy, desire and ability there to do that after this protracted farce?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

No
    I liked this one
    He wanted to have his cake & eat it, but also not eat it, & in any case, everyone was eating cakes, & it depends what you mean by 'cake'

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

No
    It now seems everybody was doping in those days, his confession was very shallow, very weepy when talking about the family. It was harmless by Oprah, we still have not heard how he avoided being caught, if he is really sorry, he will tell all. He should get immunity from prosecution & bring every body down with the truth

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    I missed part 2? Anyone know where I can watch the full thing online?
    The first one was taken off youtube for copyright reasons, and it's clear any online recording of either programme will be illegal. As such details cannot be posted here (it's against Boards rules)

It will be replayed on the Discovery Channel at 8pm tonight (or 9pm if you go to Discovery +1;))

EDIT - there is a transcript on the BBC website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

bedirect wrote: »
    It now seems everybody was doping in those days, his confession was very shallow, very weepy when talking about the family. It was harmless by Oprah, we still have not heard how he avoided being caught, if he is really sorry, he will tell all. He should get immunity from prosecution & bring every body down with the truth

I would suggest he did not test positive in so many tests because of

1. Lack of certain tests back in the day
    2. Cycles - with the correct Dr. it's pretty easy for all these guys to beat the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    Men, the second episode was a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Walsh & Kimmage now need to turn their attention away from LA .

I think we all need to do the same . . .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    I'm glad they split it the way they did, as the second "show" was just that - a "performance" that tbh should be pretty much ignored. Good luck to his charity - it's much better off without him, as is cycling and indeed any other sport with a semblance of self respect (not even sure if pre-wrestling would want to touch him;)). Speaking of which, if Lance had any maybe one way he could take a small step towards apologising to Walsh would be to offer him a "no-holds barred" interview. I know it won't ever happen, but we can only ever hope that he would actually start to do what some of those guys who have received reduced "sentences" have and that is to fully co-operate with all the relevant authorities.

To suggest what he has received is akin to a death penalty is a joke. If he'd received 5 years for perjury and been declared bankrupt after paying back all those he has defrauded and libelled then he can start pleading for mercy and asking for some kind of "redemption".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    Hermy wrote: »
    Not quite. Just ring Paul and David and ask them real nice to ghost write the new book It Really Isn't About The Bike.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Speaking of which, if Lance had any maybe one way he could take a small step towards apologising to Walsh would be to offer him a "no-holds barred" interview.
    Although my comment was meant in jest it's one of the few ways forward for him if he really wants to regain any credibility.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

No
    According to thejournal.ie jjabrams (star trek, lost) just bought the rights to a la movie......

Advertisement