Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    He does the things that most cyclists seem to be doing - not offering any real opinion - and gets criticism, so he gives his views and then gets more criticism for not telling it how it was in the first place. He really can't win can he.
    He could if he just criticised the guy that's been cheating him from the start and not change his stance on it. Like any normal person would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

No
    MPFG wrote: »

While I would never say "I told you so"....
    I would imagine that once SKY's PR team get hold of him in the next few days there'll be another semi-apologetic column or interview where he explains his stringent anti-doping stance and how he and Sky and British cycling are at the vanguard of a new era for the sport and how it's just because he and Sky are so clean that he flips his top at any questions about Armstrong or Sean Yates or Geert Leinders.

Why isn't there an emoticon for smug...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    While I would never say "I told you so"....

Why isn't there an emoticon for smug...

This do?
    3rorew.jpg

No

Finally Wiggins grows a pair. Still not as big as Gustav Larsson's pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

No
    As recently as October he was denying ever racing against Armstrong,

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/8158809/Team-Sky-s-Tour-de-France-and-Olympic-gold-winner-Bradley-Wiggins-unimpressed-with-Lance-Armstrong

In the BBC interview he remembers quite a lot of detail about the 09 tour, ever who interviewed him in Paris!

Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    ozzy jr wrote: »
    As recently as October he was denying ever racing against Armstrong,
    So what? When under the pressure of doing an interview like that things can easily slip your mind (it happens to me all the time, and I'm not under the spotlight like Wiggins is). He was clearly thinking back to the "pre-comeback" TdF winning days.

Posters keep mentioning this point but I really cannot see what they are trying to read into it. It's clearly there for anyone to see that Wiggins did race against him on the comeback, and he had nothing to gain by making such a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

No
    Well if you were still calling him fantastic in 2009 you were a bit deluded I am afraid.

I didn't say anything about 2009. When Lance first won the tour in 99, I was 11. Bit strong to call an eleven year old deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Emma O'Reilly is on the late late show tonight.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Beasty wrote: »
    So what? When under the pressure of doing an interview like that things can easily slip your mind (it happens to me all the time, and I'm not under the spotlight like Wiggins is). He was clearly thinking back to the "pre-comeback" TdF winning days.

Posters keep mentioning this point but I really cannot see what they are you trying to read into it. It's clearly there for anyone to see that Wiggins did race against him on the comeback, and he had nothing to gain by making such a statement.

If he wasn't lying then it was clearly a slip of the mind but that just seems incredible to me. I mean, whatever about all the races where Wiggins wasn't a factor how could he have forgotten missing out on the podium to Armstrong in '09?

I've always admired how Wiggins goes about his business but that statement, on camera, is very puzzling.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    The Crunch wrote: »
    If he wasn't lying then it was clearly a slip of the mind but that just seems incredible to me. I mean, whatever about all the races where Wiggins wasn't a factor how could he have forgotten missing out on the podium to Armstrong in '09?

I've always admired how Wiggins goes about his business but that statement, on camera, is very puzzling.
    As I said - so what? Can you perhaps give me a clue as to what he may have gained by saying this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It doesn't make sense as a deliberate lie. People lie about things which are secret, not basic facts in common knowledge.

It is possibly explainable if Wiggo thought that Lance had doped before but come back clean, if he's saying "I never rode with Dirty Lance".

Otherwise I have no explanation, other than the fact that Wiggo is a bit simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

As I said - so what? Can you perhaps give me a clue as to what he may have gained by saying this?

I have no clue. I find it very puzzling...

No
    I have no clue. I find it very puzzling...
    Exactly - you have no idea. Most of us probably make statements that are factually incorrect because we've overlooked something blindingly obvious. There's nothing to this and hence I really don't see why people keep rolling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Exactly - you have no idea. Most of us probably make statements that are factually incorrect because we've overlooked something blindingly obvious. There's nothing to this and hence I really don't see why people keep rolling it out.

Ah, come on now. People roll it out because it's a bizarre, unexplainable statement from the current TdF champion, multiple gold medallist, Olympic ceremony opener, and Knight of the Realm.

You're being a bit defensive about this. Is it because you is British? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Weirdview

No
    Was a thread ever more inappropriately named?
    When it comes to Lance "enough" is never going to be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

only another 5993 posts and we can close it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No
    only another 5993 posts and we can close it

Please spare us and close it now. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

No

That's not a slip of the mind :D

Interviewer: You used to race against Lance Armstrong......

Bradley: (Interupting him) Well thats a myth, I never actually raced against Lance Armstrong, in my whole reign really. I raced once against him in the Criterium International in 2004, never at the Tour de France, so that was the only time really.

He's not clearly thinking back to his pre comeback.

Say something incorrect and it eventually becomes fact. Look at the amount of people that have repeated the "Lance never tested positive" line as if it's fact.

I'm not suggesting Bradley Wiggins is doping or trying to cover anything, that interview just seems bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    I didn't say anything about 2009. When Lance first won the tour in 99, I was 11. Bit strong to call an eleven year old deluded.

Hardly when I clearly said if you still believed in Lance in 2009 you were deluded.

You didn't give a time frame of when you stopped believing in Lance.

I think almost everyone, myself included believed in Lance at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

No
    furiousox wrote: »
    Emma O'Reilly is on the late late show tonight.

And according to twitter so is david walsh, if you can tolerate the rest of the lls this portion might be decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

And according to twitter so is david walsh, if you can tolerate the rest of the lls this portion might be decent.

I could listen all day to Walsh talking about this case.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Hardly when I clearly said if you still believed in Lance in 2009 you were deluded.

You didn't give a time frame of when you stopped believing in Lance.

I think almost everyone, myself included believed in Lance at some point.

I never believed in Lance Armstrong.....I gave up watching pro cyclig because I couldn't bring myself to look at him....Always thought there was something very wrong with him....as I did with Tony Blair....must have a sixth sense for liars...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Raam wrote: »

^^^
    If this post gets 25+ thanks Beasty might resign as Wiggo's conscience memory and do the decent thing and actually close it...:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I never believed in Lance Armstrong.....I gave up watching pro cyclig because I couldn't bring myself to look at him....Always thought there was something very wrong with him....as I did with Tony Blair....must have a sixth sense for liars...

Sensing politicians are liars is common sense not a sixth sense.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

No
    Disassociation and diversion to steer an interview away from a difficult topic. The interviewer didn't correct him, so it worked.

I don't think it's part of any grand plan to deny reality, just some mental gymnastics to get away from something he clearly didn't want to talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

No
    Raam wrote: »

Won't someone please consider the ramifications that closing this thread will have on Petes life work.

Sorry Pete.

No
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Won't someone please consider the ramifications that closing this thread will have on Petes life work.

Sorry Pete.

No likey, No openey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

No
    I never believed in Lance Armstrong.....

he does exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    lennymc wrote: »
    he does exist.

You say that now but I have my doubts

Captain Havoc ..can't you leave a girl with her dilusions :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Never believed in lance but never thought he doped to the level that he did.

Fwiw I do believe sky are clean and that Bradley wiggins is and always has been clean. If you are interviewed often enough you will contradict yourself or make errors, that's only human.

Kimmage and Walsh have done sterling work but I fear they can only see negatives now (for obvious reasons).

Also the leadership and structure of the uci must change after much deliberation that's the only conclusion I can come to especially after seeing the issues the independent commission are having getting access to documents.

And no matter what I'll be cycling til I die :-)

Advertisement