Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No
    Flandria wrote: »
    Never failed a test...

Is this a serious response or a wind-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The only thing lance is on is his bike 6 hours a day, busting his ass, what are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

Beasty wrote: »
    Why? There have been 11 votes of "No" since Oprah made it clear that Armstrong had confessed. It's a public vote and not that difficult to work out who they are. 1 vote in well over a thousand is not going to change anything so far as the poll is concerned - do you really think there's going to be a late surge with the No catching the Yes vote? The real piss taking will be if someone actually starts posting that they still believe he is innocent.

Yes, "innocent" is a nice black-or-white word like "guilty", or "liar" or "cheat" or "hero" or "Paul Kimmage". Life is much less complicated without those inconvenient shades of grey in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    Beasty wrote: »
    Why? There have been 11 votes of "No" since Oprah made it clear that Armstrong had confessed. It's a public vote and not that difficult to work out who they are. 1 vote in well over a thousand is not going to change anything so far as the poll is concerned - do you really think there's going to be a late surge with the No catching the Yes vote? The real piss taking will be if someone actually starts posting that they still believe he is innocent.

Why? Because it's a joke that people are still voting no after the man has confessed. The poll no longer has a purpose. Who they are is of no concern to me. I'm also not concerned with a surge in no votes overtaking the yes. It's not a competition.

It's akin to people denying the holocaust. Not on scale, etc. We all know it happened. End of. To keep the poll open simply invites stupidity and provocation to a closed case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Comparing the holocust to the Lance Armstrong story...I mean come on. I know this thread is on doping but that is got to be the dopeiest comment yet

• Advertisement

No
    DellyBelly wrote: »
    Comparing the holocust to the Lance Armstrong story...I mean come on. I know this thread is on doping but that is got to be the dopeiest comment yet

That's not what I said actually. Read my comment again. What I said was that saying he didn't dope is clearly not correct. I said that it's akin to denying the holocaust not that it's the same as. Both are fact and cant be denied. Don't misconstrue or twist my words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

No
    during the armstrong era, most of the top cyclists were dopers so I have two questions

1. does armstrong deserve "credit" (not sure if it's the rigth word) for being best of the dopers or is it a case that he was just making the most effective use of the doping technology and thus even had an advantage over other dopers

2. I know there has been some speculation on this but during the armstrong era, was there any top 10 or top 15 regular gc rider who is widely regarded as being a non-doper, sastre?

No
    donfers wrote: »
    during the armstrong era, most of the top cyclists were dopers so I have two questions

1. does armstrong deserve "credit" (not sure if it's the rigth word) for being best of the dopers or is it a case that he was just making the most effective use of the doping technology and thus even had an advantage over other dopers

2. I know there has been some speculation on this but during the armstrong era, was there any top 10 or top 15 regular gc rider who is widely regarded as being a non-doper, sastre?

Illegal activities should never be credited.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No

It might be more accurate to say that most of the riders winning races were dopers. Sadly we'll never know for sure who the top riders would have been had the sport been clean.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No

Does Armstrong deserve credit for having the best doping regime? Hell no.

In 1999 Armstrong took advantage of the fact that a lot of guy's were a little scared of the authorities after the previous year's Festina affair. It was widely believed that a lot of guys came to the 99 Tour fully loaded but Armstrong was one of the few who continued doping throughout the Tour judging by the retested 99 samples.

I posted this out earlier but after one Tour win, Armstrong was valued at $7million, didn't do commercial deals for less than a $1million and charged $100,000 for an hour of his time. Most of his rivals would have been on contract's between $100-500k pa.(5 appearences for Lance) I think he had a clear advantage on ensuring the best product's and service thereafter.

The answer to No 2 is that the only rider we know who ever finished in the Top 15 and was considered clean was David Moncoutie who finished 13th one year during the Lance era.

Doping so distorted things that we will never know who the best was. We just know that in his first 4 Tours, Lance did very little in term's of being a contender and even up until he got cancer, did not believe he had the talent to be a Tour contender.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

Lusk Doyle wrote: »

Illegal activities should never be credited.
    What do you mean by "illegal activities"? Normally this would refer to breaches of national or state laws but many forms of doping are or were not unlawful in many if not most countries. If you mean activities contrary to the rules of a particular sport, then you are quite correct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

tfrancer wrote: »
    What do you mean by "illegal activities"? Normally this would refer to breaches of national or state laws but many forms of doping are or were not unlawful in many if not most countries. If you mean activities contrary to the rules of a particular sport, then you are quite correct.

In a lot of countries it is fraudulent to influence the outcome of an event, including by doping.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

No

I meant what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Phil Liggett

RobFowl wrote: »
    In all seriousness can this poll be closed? I mean he has actually admitted it himself at this stage so its a fact rather than speculation.....

Unless the UCI, WADA, USADA, Paul Kimmage, David Walsh, Betsy Andreau, Emma O Reilly, the entire cycling and international press and even Lance Armstrong are in fact lying.....

I still believe in Lance, even if Lance doesn't.

Live strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

No
    I voted Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

No

Jaysus! does it even matter, he is a fraud. He has perjured himself and I hope he is locked up, in particular for what he said about Emma O'Reilly and Betsy Andreu. Not sure if what he did to Greg Lemond was illegal but he deserves punishing for that also aswell as Bassons and Simeoni...... the list is feckin endless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    Just wondering, was doping or the other activities admitted by LA illegal in France at the time? If so, could this prevent him from returning there?

I'd really love to see him in the Euskaltel-Euskadi colours. Preferably in the form of a prison jumpsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    I hope anyone who thinks Armstrong was unfairly treated or that the authorities went to extra lengths to catch him are following this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-blanco-investigate-luis-leon-sanchezs-links-to-operacion-puerto

LL Sanchez is being investigated by his current team because journalist's THINK he might be the NICK-NAME 'Huerta' that appeared in the Puerto files 8 years ago!!!

No, no, it is only Armstrong that has to endure that kind of witch-hunt;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

LL Sanchez is being investigated by his current team because journalist's THINK he might be the NICK-NAME 'Huerta' that appeared in the Puerto files 8 years ago!!!

More detail here.

The evidence as reported seems quite damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

No
    Ciarán_R wrote: »
    bitches be crazy man.

but they dont be fat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

No
    I thought Tubbs had got the scoop of the century when I clicked this: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10105475/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

jimm wrote: »
    I thought Tubbs had got the scoop of the century when I clicked this: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10105475/

I don't think LA wants to speak to another Irish person again, ever!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

No
    I don't think LA wants to speak to another Irish person again, ever!!!!!!!!

Walsh hinted at a possible interview with him, maybe being part of the Sunday Times settlement of their case to recoup the libel money.

jimm wrote: »
    Walsh hinted at a possible interview with him, maybe being part of the Sunday Times settlement of their case to recoup the libel money.

Yeah, I saw that alright, could you imagine if he invited Paul Kimmage along for the craic? I don't think LA'd be smirking during that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

During his career, Lance Armstrong took more drug tests than every other athlete in the world combined and never tested positive: FACT!!

You have to admire that man, he is beyond cool.

Alot of people hate him, even though I should too, I don't.

His self belief is incredible.

He would make a great actor, has awesome screen presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RoverZT wrote: »
    He would make a great actor

Have you seen the Doprah interview? He was hopeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

I hope anyone who thinks Armstrong was unfairly treated or that the authorities went to extra lengths to catch him are following this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-blanco-investigate-luis-leon-sanchezs-links-to-operacion-puerto

No, no, it is only Armstrong that has to endure that kind of witch-hunt;)

very naive and ill-informed comment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    Ciarán_R wrote: »
    he beat the **** out of cancer with just pure willpower!
    his charity has done loads for cancer research!
    he's a walking miracles
    awesome athlete
    over 9000 drug tests and never failed
    on his bike 6 hours day
    cleaner than new snow
    everyone's just jealous, bitches be crazy man.
    you forgot Heart of a moose, lungs of a hippo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you forgot Heart of a moose, lungs of a hippo.
    and horsepower of(f) a Ferrari

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

No
    RoverZT wrote: »
    You have to admire that man, he is beyond cool.

Alot of people hate him, even though I should too, I don't.

His self belief is incredible.

He would make a great actor, has awesome screen presence.

No lights, No Hi-vis, No Helmet! who does he think he is! F**king ninja cyclest! :pac:

Advertisement