Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

No
    full_irish wrote: »
    Two citizens of the USA (where else?) are looking to get their money spent on buying Lance Armstrong autobiographies refunded through the courts.

Buyers of Lance Armstrong's books to get a refund?

Taking the absolute piss at this stage. I'm completely anti-lance and he should be rightly vilified but looking for the money back from buying the book!?

In short, 2 whiny yanks (with too much time on their hands) crying about one more drugged up cheating yank. The result, one annoyed Irish person.

So sue them.

Whiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

No
    dave2pvd wrote: »
    So sue them.

Whiner.

or I could even write them a strongly worded letter, that'd show 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

My youngest grandchild is starting to crawl well today she made her way over to all the dvd's and duely scattered the m all over the floor fair play to her .:D but among them was 5 tour de france dvd's all featuring lance armstrong the reason i bought them in the first place.:mad:

he must have made millions on these films suckers went out and bought them, i was going to bin them but decided not to good talking point in years to come i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    among them was 5 tour de france dvd's all featuring lance armstrong the reason i bought them in the first place.:mad:

he must have made millions on these films suckers went out and bought them, i was going to bin them but decided not to good talking point in years to come i reckon.

Tut tut! :p:)

I was at CX race recently and one or two riders wearing Livestrong bands got a good deal of friendly abuse from the spectators. However, I think there should be an annsesty on people who Lance Armstrong associated paraphernalia. Apart from the two books which I have at home that were not bought by me, I have nothing else - I've never been inclinded to buy anything associated with him, even bargain basement stuff. I think I might use the books as targets next time I'm out shooting.

So, what else has anyone got?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Yes, but he's still great
    TKMaxx have livestrong tshirts, if so inclined might be worth it to pick one up for witty reprinting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

No
    el tel wrote: »
    Tut tut! :p:)

I was at CX race recently and one or two riders wearing Livestrong bands got a good deal of friendly abuse from the spectators. However, I think there should be an annsesty on people who Lance Armstrong associated paraphernalia. Apart from the two books which I have at home that were not bought by me, I have nothing else - I've never been inclinded to buy anything associated with him, even bargain basement stuff. I think I might use the books as targets next time I'm out shooting.

So, what else has anyone got?
    I still have my US Postal shorts (Are these the worst to have?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No

Sure the Festina gear has a cult following among a hard core of boardsies so I'd advise to stock up on USPS gear, hold on to it for a few years then make a killing.......

(It's not like they were the SS or anything and even Prince Harry wears that gear on occasion ;))

No
    Federal prosecutor says Lance Armstrong criminal probe won't be reopened - link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

No

I can only manage to wear my Discovery Channel top while on the turbo.
    Feel like getting a black marker and covering up the yellow band on the cuff.
    Got a laugh out of shaming a cousin of mine into cutting off his yellow wristband when he was in the house a few months ago.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Yes, but he's still great
    Lots of different expressions of emotion regarding cycling clothing and the legacy of those USPS shors,bibs and the yellow bands...

I often wonder do other people give a **** about wearing Bank Of Ireland on their rugby shirts , or Qatar Foundation on their soccer jerseys .... probably not cos must people dont think about much in the way of the big picture
    once again cycling singled out for microscopic focus

Did you hear about the US doping agency raiding a US golf pro-am tournament and checking the luggage of all the caddies. No. I didnt think so , cos it didnt happen ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Slight OT, but compare the media interest in the LA story recently with the Europol report on betting corruption in football. While not at all trying to downplay the seriousness of the LA story and its implications the seeming lack of any serious outrage on the football story is crazy.

The commentary seems to be that it is all down to those "nasty Asians and East Europeans" and nothing to do with Premier League, La Liga etc. Problem is that whenever there is money, there is motive. Where are the compatriots of Walsh & Kimmage in the football world digging deeper into that. (I'm not even going to bother asking about the complete lack of any drug testing!)

Yes cycling has problems, not least it would appear that those at the very top seem more interested in maintaining their position and status quo then the future of the sport, but it certainly is not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No
    Lots of different expressions of emotion regarding cycling clothing and the legacy of those USPS shors,bibs and the yellow bands...

I often wonder do other people give a **** about wearing Bank Of Ireland on their rugby shirts , or Qatar Foundation on their soccer jerseys .... probably not cos must people dont think about much in the way of the big picture
    once again cycling singled out for microscopic focus
    I am a big advocate for the cycling is held to a different standard to other sports, however, Leinster Rugby is known as Leinster Rugby, not Bank of Ireland. It's sponsorship, not the team.

Now it's out there, it's different. Previously USP gear normally meant arch LA defender. Now the irony can't be lost.

No
    Armstrong could face new criminal charges in US - BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    Slight OT, but compare the media interest in the LA story recently with the Europol report on betting corruption in football. While not at all trying to downplay the seriousness of the LA story and its implications the seeming lack of any serious outrage on the football story is crazy.

The commentary seems to be that it is all down to those "nasty Asians and East Europeans" and nothing to do with Premier League, La Liga etc. Problem is that whenever there is money, there is motive. Where are the compatriots of Walsh & Kimmage in the football world digging deeper into that. (I'm not even going to bother asking about the complete lack of any drug testing!)

Yes cycling has problems, not least it would appear that those at the very top seem more interested in maintaining their position and status quo then the future of the sport, but it certainly is not alone.

A bit early to be making a statement like that, don't you think ? I don't know of anyone in football that dos'nt see this as potentially destroying the sport, but more information is required before we get all gung ho.

Seems that Michael Ashenden has put a big hole in the UCI claims that it never saw anything suspicious in LA results from 2009/2010. According to Ashenden, and yesterday cofirmed by UCI, his results were never checked by the independent panel after May 2009. The UCI are claiming that the software used to highlight possible cases didn't throw up any flags but Ashenden points out that since he finished on the podium he should have been checked.

Pat McQuaid came out a number of days ago stating that the experts had not flagged up any issues for that time, when it now turns out they never checked the results after May 2009.

Pellozotti didn't trigger the software either, but his results were referred by the UCI to the panel.

http://www.velonation.com/news/ID/13932/Ashenden-The-Experts-were-only-allowed-to-see-the-first-nine-of-Armstrongs-38-blood-results.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Seems that Michael Ashenden has put a big hole in the UCI claims that it never saw anything suspicious in LA results from 2009/2010.

Pat McQuaid came out a number of days ago stating that the experts had not flagged up any issues for that time, when it now turns out they never checked the results after May 2009.

Pellozotti didn't trigger the software either, but his results were referred by the UCI to the panel.

http://www.velonation.com/news/ID/13932/Ashenden-The-Experts-were-only-allowed-to-see-the-first-nine-of-Armstrongs-38-blood-results.aspx

Just read that myself.
    And I can now state that I am in agreement with the sentiment that P McQ must go. I didn't jump on that "anti-Pat" train until 5 minutes ago and in fairness, I gave him the benefit of every shred of doubt but this is black and white. I'm not going to say anything bad about him because I don't know his background...apparently he has done a lot of positive things for cycling in Ireland. But his position is now untennible. Goodnight.
    Slo

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    So even with the possibility of getting the ban reduced he's not going to co-operate ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21523597
    Lance Armstrong has said he will not agree to be interviewed under oath by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

The American, 41, admitted taking performance-enhancing drugs during his seven of his Tour de France wins in an interview with Oprah Winfrey.

By speaking to Usada, the disgraced cyclist would have been eligible to have a lifetime ban reduced.

But a statement said he "will not participate in prosecutions... that only demonize selected individuals".

It all seems very strange. The thinking at the time of the Oprah interview was that he was doing it hoping to get the lifetime ban reduced to allow him to compete in tri's etc.

Not giving evidence to USADA (he has now admitted to doping so it really is only the how and who) he is faced with the lifetime ban.

Do one or the other, but he seems to have taken the worst of both worlds. What was the point of the confession at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    It all seems very strange. The thinking at the time of the Oprah interview was that he was doing it hoping to get the lifetime ban reduced to allow him to compete in tri's etc.

Not giving evidence to USADA (he has now admitted to doping so it really is only the how and who) he is faced with the lifetime ban.

Do one or the other, but he seems to have taken the worst of both worlds. What was the point of the confession at all?

As always, ego and self-interest. An attempt to dampen down any related perjury charges and to gauge the public mood.

Epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

It wasn't a confession as much as it was answering pre-decided questions. He denied doping during his comeback in that interview/confession and now it seems he was doping during that too. So if XXada question him under oath they can go further than Oprah and he would have to lie under oath (again?) which I don't think he wants to because of the risk of perjury...maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Its probably just about money - isn't he getting hit with lawsuits already ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

No
    Just got these delivered in the internal mail at work. One of my colleagues decided to buy 10 of them on Ebay for €1 and give them out to people around the company.

He is not supporting victims of cancer but promoting the use of illegal drugs! He could only be Dutch.

Interestingly the promotion slogan says "Join us and show your support for people affected by cancer" It really couldn't be any more vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

No
    US government joins whistleblower suit against Armstrong

Poor Lance will be on the bread line when this done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    Stop me if you've heard this one before...

I think it is just terrible and disgusting how everyone has treated Lance Armstrong, especially after what he achieved winning 7 Tour de France races on drugs. When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bloody bike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    buffalo wrote: »
    When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bloody bike.
    That's because you sold it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    I see that the poll is closed. When did that happen? Also, why? Did it just expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

No
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I see that the poll is closed. When did that happen? Also, why? Did it just expire?

Statute of limitations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

No
    Has anyone been in TK Maxx recently? Was in there yesterday. In the active wear there is almost an entire rail of livestrong gear. Obviously not selling at all anymore.

Advertisement