Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,608 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

No
    Hermy wrote: »
    I think this is hilarious!

From cyclngnews.com

So Lance get's to keep the share of the profits from the book-sales, under the 1st amendment. I suppose/hope that the judge's non-rebuttal of the allegations that Lance lied in his books, as against the claims brought against him and the other defendants of fraud, mean's that there is still money in his kitty to pay any fines awarded against him by courts around the US/world.

I looked at Gibney's statement about a warzone and thought of some-one shouting "duck - incoming chainrings".

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

This man never gave a f*ck about cycling or any of his team mates or their health or their families, or cared about the consequences to his own family and even his own children. This was a well oiled plan from a very long time ago. There must have been hundreds of people in on the whole dramatic story from the offset. And they will all now gain financially from book and movie rights. He just took the p*ss out of cycling altogether and used it as his launch pad. I just hope that whatever movies are made show this 'man' for what he really is, a sad, greedy, manipulative, bullying, arrogant pr*ck. I also hope that the movie/s show that cycling is much bigger than any of these sewer rats that infested the sport (no need to mention names) and that cycling came out on top as the hero at the end of the film. I have to add here how sorry I feel for the thousands of people who drew great inspiration from his remarkable recovery and his dramatic rise to fame. This was obviously a great smoke screen for him, it allowed him and his sewer rats to put their plan into action while the world marvelled at his books and his foundation. I hope they make a film some day showing it from the people he destroyed 's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

spoke2cun wrote: »
    This man never gave a f*ck about cycling or any of his team mates or their health or their families, or cared about the consequences to his own family and even his own children. This was a well oiled plan from a very long time ago. There must have been hundreds of people in on the whole dramatic story from the offset. And they will all now gain financially from book and movie rights. He just took the p*ss out of cycling altogether and used it as his launch pad. I just hope that whatever movies are made show this 'man' for what he really is, a sad, greedy, manipulative, bullying, arrogant pr*ck. I also hope that the movie/s show that cycling is much bigger than any of these sewer rats that infested the sport (no need to mention names) and that cycling came out on top as the hero at the end of the film. I have to add here how sorry I feel for the thousands of people who drew great inspiration from his remarkable recovery and his dramatic rise to fame. This was obviously a great smoke screen for him, it allowed him and his sewer rats to put their plan into action while the world marvelled at his books and his foundation. I hope they make a film some day showing it from the people he destroyed 's point of view.

LOL!

H8rs gonna h8!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

MrCreosote wrote: »
    LOL!

H8rs gonna h8!

Yes. It's needlessly harsh....on poor sewer rats who are just trying to get by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Did Lance Dope?

Yes

Did Lance Cheat?

No

Lance was playing the same game as everyone else and the match started long before him. Why isn't Eddy Merkx or Sean Kelly getting the same vitriol as Lance?? Doping will always be used by the top athlethes. Even the "cleanest" teams today are promoting the omerta, speak out about your doping past and you'll be kicked off the team. Lance is still one of the greatest cyclists in history and should not be written out of the history books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    MrCreosote wrote: »
    LOL!

H8rs gonna h8!

If by H8rs you mean everyone on the entire f**king planet, then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Filibuster wrote: »
    Why isn't Eddy Merkx or Sean Kelly getting the same vitriol as Lance?? Doping will always be used by the top athlethes.

Do you honestly not know the answer to this? Seriously? Think about it for a second and if you still can't figure it out then go and ask Betsy Andreu, Emma O'Riley, Christophe Bassons or any of the countless others he bullied, threatened and manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Did Lance Dope?

Yes

Did Lance Cheat?

No

doping equals cheating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Did Lance Dope?

Yes

Did Lance Cheat?

No

He cheated many clean cyclists and also cheated many more who felt compelled to cheat becuase of his "performances".
    Guilt has to be allocated to the many who facilitated his doping too,,,,

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    To suggest he didn't cheat is, frankly, absurd

He cheated his clean competitors
    He cheated those he lied to and about (such as Emma O'Reilly)
    He cheated cycling fans
    He cheated his sponsors (including the US government)

In years to come he will possibly be recognised as the biggest cheat in sporting history....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    Do we have to explain all this again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Do we have to explain all this again?

I was just thinking that argument was cleared up about 4,000 posts ago. Wish this thread would die now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

jeez ye have turned on the man, twas not long ago ye were out riding around Dublin with him: i think we should start a list of who are in these pics and see how many who were patting him on the back in 09 are tearing the back off him now

375124.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

spoke2cun wrote: »

You know him, do you? Spokey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I hope to god you have no influence in Irish cycling

Im a big believer in having a 'devils advocate' but somethings are just too clear to ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No

Would it surprise you that someone who strongly backed McQuaid would also back Lance?? Umm, not really.

Some sttrangepeople inhabit these boards.... i ask someone who has done a bit of a mind reading job on armstrong does he know armstrong ? and for whatever reason you hope i have no influence in irish cycling!!! .. armstrong has been found guilty and admitted to doping, whether he didnt care about his own or other peoples health and some of the other things spokes mentioned is possible but not a definite..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    There no need to get nasty.
    To me it looks like all that can be said here has been said repeatedly.
    As a result could I please ask that this thread be closed?

In Butch's own words "Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead......."

Some sttrangepeople inhabit these boards.... i ask someone who has done a bit of a mind reading job on armstrong does he know armstrong ? and for whatever reason you hope i have no influence in irish cycling!!! .. armstrong has been found guilty and admitted to doping, whether he didnt care about his own or other peoples health and some of the other things spokes mentioned is possible but not a definite..
    Im basing my comment on all of the posts Ive seen from you and the attitude you put out here.

• Advertisement

Im basing my comment on all of the posts Ive seen from you and the attitude you put out

Kumate, it may be of benefit to have a read of some of the linked quotes, indeed here may be something in there that is worth reflecting on for many people.

http://innersoulguidance.com/2013/02/01/21-quotes-about-judgement-and-judging-others/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Please get back to the topic of Lance Armstrong.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kumate, it may be of benefit to have a read of some of the linked quotes, indeed here may be something in there that is worth reflecting on for many people.

http://innersoulguidance.com/2013/02/01/21-quotes-about-judgement-and-judging-others/

Here's a quote from Lance Armstrong (Not About The Bike) on the subject of judgement.

"I believed I had a responsibility to be a good person, and that meant fair, honest, hardworking and honorable. If I did that, if I was good to my family, true to my friends, if I gave back to my community or to some cause, if I wasn't a liar, a cheat, or a thief, then I believed that should be enough. At the end of the day, if there was indeed some Body or presence standing there to judge me, I hoped I would be judged on whether I had lived a true life"

Good luck with that, Lancey boy.

In fairness, it's not clear whether the commas in the second sentence represent OR or AND conjunctions so he might get out on a technicality.

That's just my opinion on what I think of him and what he's done to the sport, whether I know him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    happytramp wrote: »
    Do you honestly not know the answer to this? Seriously? Think about it for a second and if you still can't figure it out then go and ask Betsy Andreu, Emma O'Riley, Christophe Bassons or any of the countless others he bullied, threatened and manipulated.

The best way I've seen it summed up is that Lance not only tested positive for drugs, but also tested positive for being a prick.

buffalo wrote: »
    The best way I've seen it summed up is that Lance not only tested positive for drugs, but also tested positive for being a prick.

:) Well summed up, I like it Buffalo.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

RobFowl wrote: »
    There no need to get nasty.
    To me it looks like all that can be said here has been said repeatedly.
    As a result could I please ask that this thread be closed?
    ."

Don't be a spoilsport!

Some people like flogging dead horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

No
    Don't know if anyone read it, but in last sunday's Sunday Independent there's afntastic interview between Paul Kimmage and Alex Gibney. Kimmage is the only reason i buy the Sunday paper. His interview with Harrington last week was very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

No
    JzQ76VE.jpg

Ben Foster in that film they're making now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    That's a pretty good likeness in fairness.

Advertisement