Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    aloyisious wrote: »
    Just saw thin in the online Irish Independent "tweets section".... http://t.co/ug2nWR4Mel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

aloyisious wrote: »
    Just saw thin in the online Irish Independent "tweets section".... http://t.co/ug2nWR4Mel
    The penalty in the second is potentially even greater as the Texan is accused of defrauding the United States government over its sponsorship of the United States Postal Service team which Armstrong headed.

It could cost Armstrong 120million US dollars, three times the sponsorship value, but there is plenty of time to run as the case is at the procedural stages.
    can't really see the government losing that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

can't really see the government losing that one!

It's not quite as clear cut as it sounds. They could very well win it however if Armstrong's camp can prove that someone, anyone in USP knew and chose to ignore it due to the amount of revenue USP was generating off the back of sponsorship then they could easily lose. Armstrong's case will be you made way more money that you ever paid to us off the back of this deal. You chose to ignore all the obvious stories due to the cash cow that you had. It could go either way to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was at a loose end so went to see it tonight - I was the only one at it! :cool:

I watched it last weekend. I thought it was pretty good.

Only thing I would say about is I still trust anything Armstrong said either pre/post Oprah. Still entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

godtabh wrote: »
    Only thing I would say about is I still trust anything Armstrong said either pre/post Oprah.

Some might call you naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

godtabh wrote: »
    I watched it last weekend. I thought it was pretty good.

Only thing I would say about is I still DON'T trust anything Armstrong said either pre/post Oprah. Still entertaining.

Fixed that for you. I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

No
    'The Armstrong Lie' is on the worlds best known video website. Watched it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

No
    Aw, come-on... Giz us a hint, I don't know that site.

No
    Hint: "Broadcast yourself" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

utube only have the trailer.
    vimeo dont have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

No
    vimeo dont have it.

I've heard its available for download from some of the more popular file sharing sites.. not that this forum would condone illegal downloads..

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

It's on utube now

No

Nope, the whole 2hrs 3mins is there. I have it open in another tab at the moment.
    Don't know if am I ok to post up a link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

anyone under the age of 35 who cant find a video they want to watch online for free should have their internet taken away! (I dont condone illegal activities)

Mugser wrote: »
    Nope, the whole 2hrs 3mins is there. I have it open in another tab at the moment.
    Don't know if am I ok to post up a link to it?
    ah post it up i'll watch it tonight better than watching ****e on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

ah post it up i'll watch it tonight better than watching ****e on tv.
    For Feck Sake here it is:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

No
    Just finished watching it , two years of my life ill never get back

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

I quite enjoyed it!

yeah found it on utube it was great i still think he was a super bike rider no matter what way he went about it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

No
    That video shows how horrible he truly is, egomaniac, self proclaimed king of the world. They really need to take every penny off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How he must regret coming back. He had gotten away with it and the narative had moved on. But his desire to prove he was the best was to strong. I am amazed that those around him did not convince him of the likely outcome of him coming back and opening up the whole debate.

I suppose they felt that that they would just get away with it as before. When he is sitting at ho me looking at the upcoming hearings and lawsuits it must drive him nuts that it is entirely his own fault that he got caught in the end.

No
    yeah found it on utube it was great i still think he was a super bike rider no matter what way he went about it.:cool:

Granted he would have had to be a great bike rider to make it to the pro level in the 1st place, but that's where his greatness ended! He represents what I hope is the end of the darkest period in cycling history where the excuse of 'sure everybody else was at it' rang around.
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    When he is sitting at ho me looking at the upcoming hearings and lawsuits it must drive him nuts that it is entirely his own fault that he got caught in the end.

Through all the dope-ing era in cycling, it's the guys who never touched the stuff who you'd feel for, the guys who as a result of being clean were 'nearly men' The guys who are now sitting at home thinking what might have been had this sort of thing not not being prevalent. So if Armstrong is being driven nuts thinking of what money he might loose, f*** him!! What about the honest, nearly guys who had to look for regular jobs the week after retiring from pro-cycling.

face it lads he was the best,there all on drugs ,and so too is all the guys that play top level sports.
    give me a break .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    face it lads he was the best,there all on drugs ,and so too is all the guys that play top level sports.
    give me a break .

Ah for fcuk sake, feck sake lads.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ah for fcuk sake, feck sake lads.

at last some one with a sense of humour :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

No
    give me a break .

There's more than a grain of truth in that statement I suspect. But in my opinion the doping was not his greatest sin, it was how he destroyed anyone that dared question "the dream".
    Good cyclist at best, pre cancer he didn't look like a future contender, **** person though.

Top level sport, including cycling is full of sh**s. I know a couple of people involved in another sport who the media would have you believe are modest, down to earth 'all round good eggs'! but sadly thats not the reality. Pressure, extreme talent, adoration, money, media attention, lifestyle etc understandibly changes a lot of people.

L.A certainly comes across as a bully and a domineering character but I do think his hospital visits and charity work were / are genuine. maybe (like many others) when they get in competition / fight mode they cant see beyond the race / game / fight and compromise their morals, values, friends, family, just about anything because all they can see is winning and everything else that comes with that. On the flip side its also probably that drive that played a huge role in getting them where they are now. Theres probably plenty of amateurs and enthusiasts who's obsession with cycling or whatever has come before other commitments at home etc.

There are of course good people at top level sport as there are in all walks of life, but Im very slow to buy into any of this 'bad guy' or 'nice guy' rubbish in the media now.

Fortunately top level sport is not something I will ever have to worry about so I can live out the rest of my days as a bloody nice chap! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No
    ^ Very true. You will come across that behaviour in some corporate life as well, not to mention something like finance and trading culture on Wall St, London City etc. It something that's tacitly encouraged until it gets out of hand and backfires, so for that reason I couldn't fully condemn LA, in spite of him being so odious.

ror_74 wrote: »
    ^ Very true. You will come across that behaviour in some corporate life as well, not to mention something like finance and trading culture on Wall St, London City etc. It something that's tacitly encouraged until it gets out of hand and backfires, so for that reason I couldn't fully condemn LA, in spite of him being so odious.

Thats probably a better example! - I know a couple of guys in finance who think they're some sort of hot shots. For every famous Armstrong character theres 100's in the pubs in Dublin City on a Friday having their 'after work drinks' trying to dominate each other, belittle colleagues, act the big man etc... At least cycling is vaguely interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Wonder where this puts me - working in finance and cycling in my spare time ...

Advertisement