Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes, but he's still great
    Russman wrote: »
    That's true, but I think the problem is the scale. Back in the day, virtually the entire peloton was on something, it certainly wasn't one or two bad apples giving everyone a bad name.

And the other thing many ignore is that he was given the out, he was basically told by Hein Verbruggen, find us an excuse, don't care if its true or not. I'd say he thought that he was untouchable. I doubt you would find many who would get into Lances position and not take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

No
    Raam wrote: »
    They got lesser bans because they cooperated. Lance did not cooperate.

That's a very fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So McQaids position, and others it would seem, is that even though we have proof that LA cheated on all 7 tours he should somehow be given the titles back since all the others were at it too, probably.

While I can see the logic in seeing USADA v LA as somewhat of a witch hunt, even if you accept that how do you get from that point to giving a known cheat some titles back?

McQ is basically saying that the sport he was in charge of was a total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm all on for Lance getting his titles back if Landis and Hamilton get theirs. But as usual, there's one rule for Armstrong and another for the rest.

"Another thing that annoys me is that Landis and Hamilton are being made out to be heroes. They are as far from heroes as night and day. They are not heroes, they are scumbags. All they have done is damage the sport." - Pat McQuaid

Hamilton never "won" the tour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Hamilton never "won" the tour.

Well that makes three of them!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

No
    Monday (9.35pm) next on RTE TV.... https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Ftv%2Fprogrammes%2Froughrider.html&ei=C9jTU_fEKOOP7AbFzIGYCg&usg=AFQjCNHzwMbgwFXn8ELZTjBuK7hePVX1LA

EDIT. Paul Kimmage is on RTE Saturday Sports programme live describing how he was introduced to drugs and doping use in cycling, ref how he started using drugs while cycling with the teams. That was a cracker of an interview, certainly plain-speaking on the part of Paul Kimmage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I really hope it's less Armstrong and more Kimmage, he has a very interesting story without Armstrong.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    I really hope it's less Armstrong and more Kimmage, he has a very interesting story without Armstrong.

Was privileged to be at a private viewing today and very little about Armstrong.
    A really well made, interesting and thought provoking film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Was privileged to be at a private viewing today and very little about Armstrong.
    A really well made, interesting and thought provoking film.

No spoilers for god's sake! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes, but he's still great
    Raam wrote: »
    No spoilers for god's sake! ;)

MOD VOICE: No back seat modding, please use the report post button :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    I watched that "Stop At Nothing" documentary this morning. Really really good. A lot of stuff I'd seen before but very very well put together and it puts the whole chronology of the events into order. Can actually understand why Armstrong doped in the first place when you see how they were getting their a$$es kicked - as Frankie Andreu says at one point - getting beat up the hills by fat sprinters :). But you're certainly left with no fuzzy soft-focus impressions of Armstrong's ....sociopathy at the end. - Riveting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

No
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/kimmages-superb-film-a-sad-story-of-unrequited-love-30479656.html

Poignant piece included in this about a young Dutch team-mate (26) who (probably) died do to EPO use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Looks like the Lance rebranding begins again https://twitter.com/laf

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

He is a psycho if you ask me. Such insane controlling behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

No
    Junior wrote: »
    Looks like the Lance rebranding begins again https://twitter.com/laf

Are you havin' a laf?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

He has a neck like a jockey's bollox

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

he shouldn't be allowed use the color yellow in his logo! red would be more suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

70 say he didn't dope. So he was lying when he said he did? Are these the same people who believe that Hitler is hiding in Argentina and that Neil's walking on the moon was a fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ciarán_R

No
    the votes are from before he admitted it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The rehabilitation continues........

Lance Armstrong: I'd change the man, not decision to cheat
    Shamed cyclist Lance Armstrong believes the time is coming when he should be forgiven for doping and lying - and told the BBC he would probably do it again.

Armstrong, 43, was stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles and banned from sport for life by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) in August 2012.

"If I was racing in 2015, no, I wouldn't do it again because I don't think you have to," he said.

"If you take me back to 1995, when doping was completely pervasive, I would probably do it again."

A 30-minute documentary, Lance Armstrong: The Road Ahead, will be broadcast on BBC News at 20:30 GMT on Thursday, 29 January, and again over the following days on that channel and BBC World News. An extended edit of Dan Roan's interview will also be available on the BBC iPlayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No
    Just give him back the jerseys and get it over with already :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Brave of him to use the Jimmy Saville defence....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

A horrible person but has been unfairly treated in comparison to others in the sport who have done exactly the same thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    Jim Stynes wrote: »
    A horrible person but has been unfairly treated in comparison to others in the sport who have done exactly the same thing.

No one else did what he did!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Unfairly treated? "Bless me, Father for I have sinned. Thanks for the absolution, but Jaysus, Father, given half a chance I'd do the bloody same allover again! "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/30955902
    "But what's really frustrating, and probably 80% of it, is that if my mum got [multiple sclerosis] tomorrow - and thank God she hasn't - and I wanted to run the Boston Marathon to raise $100,000 (£66,500) for the MS Society, I couldn't do it. And not just run, I couldn't walk it, run a little bit, walk the aid stations and finish in four hours 15 minutes, but raise a hundred grand - I can't do it."
    The ****er is worth $125m and is claiming to be upset that that he won't get the chance to get other people pay if his mum got sick :eek:

If that unrepentant **** is allowed race again , ever, then the cheaters have won because there will no longer be the threat of a lifetime ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just watched the interview on the BBC site and I don't know who the interviewer is but he did a great job.

Let LA lead himself down the poor me, Feds ,USADA etc were all out to get me and none of this would have happened crap and he just says well it was really coz you cheated that this happened!

LA does make the point that lots of others made lots of money from the whole thing. He mentions Trek going from 100m to 1bill in sales. That just dumped him and moved on as if nothing.

Its was also good to see him accept that his comeback was the 'bridge'. He knows that without that he would have gotten away with it.

I bet out of everything that is the worst part to him. After being in control for so long, all the bullying & intimidation, all the legal threats etc it was his own hubris that did him in the end.

How do you like dem apples!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

He was and still is a complete c*** but even if he isn't being treated unfairly with a lifetime ban then the others have gotten off very light. Pantani is just one of the many who are seen as heroes and he was drugged to the gills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No
    He was and still is a complete c*** but even if he isn't being treated unfairly with a lifetime ban then the others have gotten off very light. Pantani is just one of the many who are seen as heroes and he was drugged to the gills!

The reason he is treated differently is not just the drugs but because he destroyed anyone that threatened him.

A complete psychopath deserving of everything he got .

Advertisement