Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    vetinari wrote: »
    However, I have to admit that the entire witch hunt by the USADA did leave me feeling quite uneasy.

There is NO witch hunt. The only reason we have arrived at this juncture is because Lance Armstrong is guilty of doping and USADA have done their job and proved this to be the case.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

No
    Lance is as guilty as sin, but nobody can deny that this is a witch-hunt.

Also, the USADA has Floyd Landis as one of their eye-witnesses. The amount of lies that man told and the amount of money he took off his own fans to make his case, only for him to admit cheating years later, makes him a very discreditable witness because he could be seen as nothing but bitter. Landis was always renowned for being a bitter man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

No
    corny wrote: »
    Can i post a link to the leaked 2010 list then as a response?

The list can be found here. Amusingly, on a scale of 0 (no suspicion of doping) to 10 (very strong suspicion), Lance Armstrong comes in with a '4'... :eek: and Frank Schleck - booted out of this year's TDF - gets a '2'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

No
    andyman wrote: »
    Lance is as guilty as sin, but nobody can deny that this is a witch-hunt
    I think a lot of people in this thread don't quite grasp the meaning of the term "witch-hunt"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

No
    Landis was always renowned for being a bitter man.

Source please :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭corny

No
    Source please :rolleyes:

Lance Armstrong… It’s not about the bike: My Journey Back to Life…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    Lance is as guilty as sin, but nobody can deny that this is a witch-hunt.

Also, the USADA has Floyd Landis as one of their eye-witnesses. The amount of lies that man told and the amount of money he took off his own fans to make his case, only for him to admit cheating years later, makes him a very discreditable witness because he could be seen as nothing but bitter. Landis was always renowned for being a bitter man.

I think Ross tucker put it best........
    The problem is, if you choose to believe Armstrong, that it's a witch-hunt, then you are also a conspiracy theorist, because the only way you can explain all the witnesses who are willing to testify is to say that they are part of a massive conspiracy against him. One that spans the Atlantic Ocean, includes former team-mates, journalists, doctors, administrators, soigneurs, strangers and mechanics. A few people are "easy" to dismiss - Landis and Hamilton are not credible, that's easy. But if USADA had ten more lined up, it becomes more and more difficult to dismiss.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/08/the-armstrong-fallout-thoughts-and.html

You had a go at discrediting Landis but can you discredit any of the other witnesses....particularly George Hincapie. Seems Armstrong didn't think he could and threw in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Sounds like someone donated a Euro too many to the Fairness For Floyd Fund

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No
    Flandria wrote: »
    Sounds like someone donated a Euro too many to the Fairness For Floyd Fund

Everyone got paid back by the court. Floyd now has to pay as much as he can back to the court or risk fines and a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

No
    Is boards.ie implicated in distributing epo. What does this mean for those in boardsie. Jersies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

No
    ^^^

Battery needs charging or that alarm will never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

No
    Mind boggling that just under 4% people think he didn't dope at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    CardinalJ wrote: »

Common sense is remarkably uncommon

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Of the 14 who have voted so far for that option, only 1 is a regular in the forum, another admitted to selecting the wrong option and many of the others have little or no posting history in the Cycling forum. It may well be that the vote has been swayed as a lot of those posters may not be particularly informed on the subject, one or two may simply be mischief-making and Fat Finger Syndrome seems to be at play also;)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dermur

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Common sense is remarkably uncommon

I'm hoping that that 4% represents Lance's army of web crawlers.

Otherwise I'm losing faith in civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I see he is on twitter organising some lance laps. How many thousand will show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No
    Equally perplexing is the number that still think he is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

No
    Beasty wrote: »
    Of the 14 who have voted so far for that option, only 1 is a regular in the forum, another admitted to selecting the wrong option and many of the others have little or no posting history in the Cycling forum. It may well be that the vote has been swayed as a lot of those posters may not be particularly informed on the subject, one or two may simply be mischief-making and Fat Finger Syndrome seems to be at play also;)
    Also, in any vote, some people get a thrill out of voting the opposite of everybody else. If you had a referendum where people had a choice of 'leave the booth alive' or 'be gassed right now', you'd still get nearly 5% going for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

No

Name the 1 regular!!! Surely you can dish out a ban for that.....?

No

My last post originally read:

"Misclicks, trolls and people who don't follow cycling"

I thought it would be inflammatory so I changed it.

Mods can put things so much more eloquently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭corny

No
    May have seen this one but i thought it was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Reekwind wrote: »
    I think a lot of people in this thread don't quite grasp the meaning of the term "witch-hunt"

In a technical sense, witch hunt is about the best words I can think for it. Guilty or not guilty, an athlete is almost certainly going to be found guilty by USADA arbitration. (Again, I do believe that Lance doped)

Someone mentioned that the evidence will be published at some point. It'll be interesting to see it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    I guess it's a witch hunt if you accept the premise that Lance is a witch. Alternatively you could call it a Lance hunt. Either way, they caught him ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    I guess it's a witch hunt if you accept the premise that Lance is a witch. Alternatively you could call it a Lance hunt. Either way, they caught him ...
    The whole point about a witch hunt is that witches don't exist because magic isn't real.

By definition a witch hunt is finding people guilty of a crime that doesn't exist. ie. the verdict has been decided before the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bollbill

No
    It's sad that a charity that does so much good is built on a lie.

No
    The whole point about a witch hunt is that witches don't exist because magic isn't real.

By definition a witch hunt is finding people guilty of a crime that doesn't exist. ie. the verdict has been decided before the hunt.

Throw him in a pond, if he floats, he's a witch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

No
    does lance weigh the same as a duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

No

great minds think alike.

Nih!

No
    lennymc wrote: »

great minds think alike.

Nih!

NERD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

CPL 593H

Advertisement