Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    leftism wrote: »
    Just run in Asics... :p

I sleep soundly at night! Clean conscience and pain-free feet...

And a free hole in your big toe thrown in with every pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anyone I missed??? of course Lance was still clean the whole time:rolleyes:

Steffen Kjærgaard was clean.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2011-05-20-1253804185_x.htm

"Another former teammate of Armstrong and Hamilton, Steffen Kjaergaard of Norway, rode on U.S. Postal's Tour de France team in 2000 and 2001.
    "I didn't feel any pressure of doing any prohibited thing to be stronger, to do doping," Kjaergaard said. "I didn't have any hints, 'You should do this. You should do that.'"
    Kjaergaard said that U.S. Postal conducted internal blood tests on him and others in the team "to make sure that the riders behave themselves."
    Kjaergaard said he did at times room with Hamilton. But he never got any indication and never suspected he was using banned drugs.
    "I guess that if he or anybody else wants to do doping or other illegal things, they can hide it," Kjaergaard said.
    Kjaergaard also said in the wake of the confessions from Hamilton and, previously, Floyd Landis, he was now thinking, "I must have been damned naive. ... It's quite amazing to me.""

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-my-conscience-is-clear
    "It's their drama. Not mine," he told the US publication.

"...They sit around and talk about the past. You always get high-school friends who sit around and talk about "hey remember that time?" and I'm like "why are you asking me about that?"

So we should never ask Lance about winning seven TdFs, because it's in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    buffalo wrote: »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-my-conscience-is-clear
    "It's their drama. Not mine," he told the US publication.

"...They sit around and talk about the past. You always get high-school friends who sit around and talk about "hey remember that time?" and I'm like "why are you asking me about that?"

So we should never ask Lance about winning seven TdFs, because it's in the past.

Now if only he'd shut up and get on with his life. So much for "enough is enough".

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Now if only he'd shut up and get on with his life. So much for "enough is enough".

Fair point though! If he continues to profit from attending sports events and wishes to remain as a high profile sports personality, then its totally unreasonable to be saying "i just want to get on with my life".

Eh, sorry Lance, your life is sport. You cheated in sport. You profited and are probably still profiting from said cheating, so why should the public "move on"!?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    From cyclingnews.com
    Cycling cannot move forward until Lance issue is resolved
    Former UCI anti-doping chief Anne Gripper, who played a major role in the introduction of the blood passport system as well as a number of doping cases during her tenure from 2006 to early 2012, says she is satisfied with the USADA investigation, charges, subsequent lifetime ban and stripping of Lance Armstong’s seven Tour de France titles.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Tony Griffin is an athlete, charity activist, speaker and author. He is a former All-Star hurler with Clare, who now does extensive charity work for organisations such as SOAR. In 2010, he released his authobiography ‘Screamin At The Sky’.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/readme/column-why-i-still-believe-in-lance-armstrong-623647-Oct2012/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BQQ

No
    furiousox wrote: »
    Tony Griffin is an athlete, charity activist, speaker and author. He is a former All-Star hurler with Clare, who now does extensive charity work for organisations such as SOAR. In 2010, he released his authobiography ‘Screamin At The Sky’.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/readme/column-why-i-still-believe-in-lance-armstrong-623647-Oct2012/[/QUOTE]
    we decided to donate $225,000 to Livestrong to be spent on researching a cure to cancer

He doesn't care if he doped, but does he care that he didn't spend the money on researching a cure??

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

No
    You'd think if you were donating nearly a quarter of a million dollars, you would know what the money was going to be spent on...

Can every fanboy please repeat the following line 100 times: "Awareness is not the same thing as Research"!

This is the thing that annoys me about the Livestrong Foundation! When confronted, they openly admit that they are a cancer AWARENESS group, yet the effect of all those fancy yellow and black t-shirts and caps is to confuse the average punter into thinking that somehow their donations are helping to fight cancer. It really is a very clever strategy! I'm not suggesting that Livestrong are actively persuing a campaign of misinformation. Its just that they're quite happy to go along with the mass ignorance that most donors possess, and they are most definitely profitting from that ignorance (in a similar way to many dishonest cyclists of the 90's and 00's profitted from the ignorance of the cycling public)...

This article is just another example of the effect of the Livestrong mass appeal! Whether misinformed, misguided or just plain ignorant to the truth, this lad donated $225,000 to cancer research that never took place. That is just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

No
    For those looking for more scientific support for the judgement against LA, the following article regarding Michael Ashenden's views should help:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/must-read-ashenden-says-armstrong-showed-signs-of-blood-doping-in-2009-tour-de-france_256351

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Blood-tests-indicate-doping-expert-says-3927234.php#ixzz28i4H7Yj3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    More from Ashenden here:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13026/Ashenden-I-dont-know-whether-Armstrongs-passport-file-was-ever-sent-to-any-of-us-experts.aspx
    “There are two damning features present in Armstrong's blood values during the 2009 Tour de France,” he said, referring to the published figures. “First, his haemoglobin values did not decline by the 10 percent or so that is typically found during three week stage races. In the Pellizotti case, the publicly available CAS decision shows that the CAS found that this characteristic demonstrated the use of blood doping practices.

“Second, his reticulocyte levels were below the average of the rest of his reported results. Both of those are consistent with the use of blood transfusions.”
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

No

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/readme/column-why-i-still-believe-in-lance-armstrong-623647-Oct2012/

Heard him being interviewed on matt cooper at the time and nearly kicked the radio in. Nothings changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    Cienciano wrote: »
    “There are two damning features present in Armstrong's blood values during the 2009 Tour de France,” he said, referring to the published figures. “First, his haemoglobin values did not decline by the 10 percent or so that is typically found during three week stage races. In the Pellizotti case, the publicly available CAS decision shows that the CAS found that this characteristic demonstrated the use of blood doping practices.

On a more general note does the UCI have a rule for falling Haemoglobin? (ie a percentage it has to fall by) Do they even test for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No

Wow, that article is the biggest load of drivel which I've ever half-read in all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    Tony Griffin is an a misguided plonker

And he still believes the cancer research myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    The Toto scamps angle on the evidence delay http://nyvelocity.com/content/toto/2012/toto-turns-263

"How about a sticker printing machine for the fight against steep seat tube angles"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    Armstrong Lawyer Attacks Pending USADA Report

Most of it is weak, then again Armstrong's people aren't really concerned with the truth. Its all about painting a picture so the less well informed can cling to the hero worship.
    In conclusion, Herman points to a 'call to arms' with the release of the USADA report, warning that public support is with Armstrong.

I believe that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

No
    corny wrote: »
    Armstrong Lawyer Attacks Pending USADA Report

Most of it is weak, then again Armstrong's people aren't really concerned with the truth. Its all about painting a picture so the less well informed can cling to the hero worship.

I believe that bit.

Your link seems to just link back to this thread, which is a bit confusing. Here's a Velonation one where Herman accuses the USADA of being cancer loving paid shills of big tobacco.

It all makes sense now...

No
    OT: Guybrush Threepwood! Well I never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    “This reasoned decision will be a farce, written by USADA with the significant assistance of lawyers from one of Big Tobacco’s favorite law firms at a time when Lance Armstrong is one of America’s leading anti-tobacco advocates,” Herman wrote, according to USA Today. “While USADA can put lipstick on a pig, it still remains a pig.”

That's just hilarious, but one person added this gem of a comment
    Robert Luskin of Patton Boggs represents Armstrong. Patton Boggs has been retained by Livestrong for lobbying services. And Patton Boggs has a history of representing big tobacco. http://my.firedoglake.com/kevingrandia/2012/09/24/romney-campaign-gets-cozy-with-dc-lobby-firm-patton-boggs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

No
    buffalo wrote: »
    OT: Guybrush Threepwood! Well I never!

OT: I would be if boards weren't so cheap that they limit the number of letters you can have in your username.

OOT: And I'll bet you did, at least once!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No
    The Twittersphere is buzzing with the expected release of a summary of the USADA reasoned decision. Apparently the UCI got all 1200? pages of documentation today.....:eek:

A summary from USADA is expected to be available online today

No
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    The Twittersphere is buzzing with the expected release of a summary of the USADA reasoned decision. Apparently the UCI got all 1200? pages of documentation today.....:eek:

A summary from USADA is expected to be available online today

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13034/Armstrong-case-USADA-confirms-reasoned-decision-sent-to-UCI-and-WADA-over-1000-pages-of-evidence.aspx

No
    I knew if I F5'd enough USADA would come good... Tygart's statement http://www.usada.org/cyclinginvestigationstatement.html

No surprises on the secret 11 but the devil will be in the detail - it might be a long night...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    Well, we know now that Frankie Andreu, Michael Barry, Tom Danielson, Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, Levi Leiphimer, Stephen Swart, Christian Vande Velde, Jonathan Vaughters and David Zabriskie are all liars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No
    Lance Armstrong was given the same opportunity to come forward and be part of the solution. He rejected it.
    Ouch. Game over Armstrong. Surely only the most blinkered and entrenched will claim he was clean now?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

No
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Ouch. Game over Armstrong. Surely only the most blinkered and entrenched will claim he was clean now?

No he won't. His ignorant fan-boys will.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    Statement from Hincapie:
    Early in my professional career, it became clear to me that, given the widespread use of performance enhancing drugs by cyclists at the top of the profession, it was not possible to compete at the highest level without them. I deeply regret that choice and sincerely apologize to my family, teammates and fans.

Quietly, and in the way I know best, I have been trying to rectify that decision. I have competed clean and have not used any performance enhancing drugs or processes for the past six years. Since 2006, I have been working hard within the sport of cycling to rid it of banned substances. During this time, I continued to successfully compete at the highest level of cycling while mentoring young professional riders on the right choices to make to ensure that the culture of cycling had changed.

About two years ago, I was approached by US Federal investigators, and more recently by USADA, and asked to tell of my personal experience in these matters. I would have been much more comfortable talking only about myself, but understood that I was obligated to tell the truth about everything I knew. So that is what I did.

No
    Well, we know now that Frankie Andreu, Michael Barry, Tom Danielson, Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, Levi Leiphimer, Stephen Swart, Christian Vande Velde, Jonathan Vaughters and David Zabriskie are all liars.

Barry was a bit of surprise TBH. Of course Sky dont employ anyone with a doping past do they?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xpSf_GTI8wsJ:michaelbarry.ca/tag/floyd-landis/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No
    David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST Summary of USADA report into Armstrong and former team will be on be on http://www.usada.org in less than 3 hours. OMERTA WILL BE BROKEN.

I expect that the server will crash .....

Advertisement