Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No
    Flandria wrote: »
    Barry was a bit of surprise TBH.

He has been on the rumour mill for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Raam wrote: »
    He has been on the rumour mill for years.

Mea culpa - true indeed the surprise was that he sang, although Sky may have forced him to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    Statement from Barry:
    Cycling has always been a part of my life. As a boy my dream was to become a professional cyclist who raced at the highest level in Europe. I achieved my goal when I first signed a contract with the United States Postal Service Cycling team in 2002. Soon after I realized reality was not what I had dreamed. Doping had become an epidemic problem in professional cycling.

Recently, I was contacted by United States Anti-Doping Agency to testify in their investigation into the use of performance enhancing drugs on the United States Postal Service Team. I agreed to participate as it allowed me to explain my experiences, which I believe will help improve the sport for today’s youth who aspire to be tomorrow’s champions.

After being encouraged by the team, pressured to perform and pushed to my physical limits I crossed a line I promised myself and others I would not: I doped. It was a decision I deeply regret. It caused me sleepless nights, took the fun out of cycling and racing, and tainted the success I achieved at the time. This was not how I wanted to live or race.

In the summer of 2006, I never doped again and became a proponent of clean cycling through my writing and interviews.

From 2006 until the end of my career in 2012, I chose to race for teams that took a strong stance against doping. Although I never confessed to my past, I wrote and spoke about the need for change. Cycling is now a cleaner sport, many teams have adopted anti-doping policies and most importantly I know a clean rider can now win at the highest level.

I apologize to those I deceived. I will accept my suspension and any other consequences. I will work hard to regain people’s trust.

The lessons I learned through my experiences have been valuable. My goal now is to help turn the sport into a place where riders are not tempted to dope, have coaches who they can trust, race on teams that nurture talent and have doctors who are concerned for their health. From direct experience, I know there are already teams doing this but it needs to be universal throughout cycling.

Progressive change is occurring. My hope is that this case will further that evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Apology generator overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

So by a curious coincidence, everyone stopped doping in 2006.

Would this have anything to do with the obviousness of Landis' ride into Morzine?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    223939.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    This statement gets the hairs standing on the back of your neck in anticipation. Hopefully the delay in releasing the documents was USADA formatting it so that it makes it read like a spy novel and not your usual standard report fayre.
    The USPS Team doping conspiracy was professionally designed to groom and pressure athletes to use dangerous drugs, to evade detection, to ensure its secrecy and ultimately gain an unfair competitive advantage through superior doping practices. A program organized by individuals who thought they were above the rules and who still play a major and active role in sport today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    :mad:

I can't believe it. Now even the IRISH TIMES have joined the witch hunt!!!:mad:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2012/1010/341109-usada-report-proves-armstrong-used-drugs/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Any response from Armstrong?
    Is he going to label Hincapie a "bitter ex-pro" too?
    Maybe we'll get a Jimmy Swaggart-esque press conference in a couple of days, ("I have sinned" etc) but somehow I doubt it.

CPL 593H

No
    Poor Pat McQuaid will be up all night reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    Poor Pat McQuaid's lawyers will be up all night reading it.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

hardCopy wrote: »
    FYP

They'll surely take on all the witnesses and the USADA just as they have bravely targeted Kimmage.

No
    Itziger wrote: »
    They'll surely take on all the witnesses and the USADA just as they have bravely targeted Kimmage.

They'll probably just wait til Travis Tygart leaves USADA and sue him personally in a Swiss court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

No
    How does everyone think Lance Armstrong will react/behave/conduct himself when this is all out in the open?

No
    How does everyone think Lance Armstrong will react/behave/conduct himself when this is all out in the open?

Like a d1ck

He'll probably continue whinging about how he's being persecuted for being too brilliant, keep telling people he won the Tour seven times, keep picking up shady non-sanctioned races wherever he can and keep tweeting his thanks to all the loopers who support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

No
    its both a sad and great day for our sport.

I must say I am disgusted by the patrons of the sport who havent said anything. This is part of the reason its rife. I bet Jan Ullrich is having a celebratory drink tonight with a huge smile on his face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No

Who gives a ****.....he's toast, anything he says will just be a rehash of old bluster and threats.

I love this avatar from Twitter user @DIMSPACE
    5c5235cdc025afa394ee742d22e9fe47.png

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

No
    Front of cyclingnews:

'X confesses'
    'Y confesses'
    'Z confesses'

I must be dreaming. I never thought I'd see this...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

morana wrote: »
    I bet Jan Ullrich is having a celebratory drink tonight with a huge smile on his face

Im not sure Jan Ullrich was completely honest himself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No

I'd expect nothing but his usual reasoned response, kinda like this one

• Advertisement

No
    retalivity wrote: »
    Im not sure Jan Ullrich was completely honest himself...

absolutely not as dirty as any of them but the fact that he was done and had been saying it would take a blindman not to see the dopin must give him some satisfaction. thats what I meant

No
    its both a sad and great day for our sport.

I must say I am disgusted by the patrons of the sport who havent said anything. This is part of the reason its rife. I bet Jan Ullrich is having a celebratory drink tonight with a huge cake in his face

Fixed that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    It's funny how in 2006 they all quit the Ribena - the season immediately after LA retired.

Though Armstrong will probably just come out with something along the lines of:

I raced with Xdozen riders in my career. 11 have testified against me. The non-testimonys of the Xdozen -11 riders shows I did not cheat.

No
    el tel wrote: »
    It's funny how in 2006 they all quit the Ribena - the season immediately after LA retired.

Though Armstrong will probably just come out with something along the lines of:

I raced with Xdozen riders in my career. 11 have testified against me. The non-testimonys of the Xdozen -11 riders shows I did not cheat.

Don't you mean more than 500?;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

No
    it's a stitch-up based on anecdotal evidence and professional jealousy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

No
    I don't know what came over me there folks, apologies for the temporary insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

No
    563898_10151181075663374_2002977500_n.jpg

No
    Was Eurosports brian smith in his team?

No
    Was Eurosports brian smith in his team?

Yep, Motorola.

• Advertisement