Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I think the silence of the current peleton (to date) is deafening.

Bar Garmin (presumably led from Vaughters) have any/many high profile riders come out today to welcome USADA's findings?

Top riders such as Wiggins tweeting about non cycling related subjects on one of the most important days in the sports history is depressing.

Literally just watching an interview with Wiggins on Sky now, it will be repeated ad nauseam I'm sure throughout the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No
    He had some neck all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    The same site you link criticise their fundraising and marketing methods

The original article is missing but here's the google cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LfOIrDl5p3UJ:www.charitywatch.org/articles/cancer.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

True enough, but keep in mind that you are citing an analysis from financials that date back at least 6 years.

Apparently, unlike their founder, they cleaned up their act. Their current rating is an impressive A-. That's just from charitywatch. The other reliable agency, Charity Navigator also gives LAF very high ratings.

Incidentally, 4 years ago, we audited every single charity our company donates to. Of 10 organizations, 3 survived the cut. We added in 4 more. The rating agencies we used were the same two I have cited here. In the US, they are recognized as being credible.

I certainly won't critique Gifford's perspective. For the most part, it rings true!

My only points in responding to the previous post is to correct the notion that the LAF primarily exists to benefit LA and that 'awareness' is somehow less than worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    dave2pvd wrote: »
    True enough, but keep in mind that you are citing an analysis from financials that date back at least 6 years.

Apparently, unlike their founder, they cleaned up their act. Their current rating is an impressive A-. That's just from charitywatch. The other reliable agency, Charity Navigator also gives LAF very high ratings.

Incidentally, 4 years ago, we audited every single charity our company donates to. Of 10 organizations, 3 survived the cut. We added in 4 more. The rating agencies we used were the same two I have cited here. In the US, they are recognized as being credible.

I certainly won't critique Gifford's perspective. For the most part, it rings true!

My only points in responding to the previous post is to correct the notion that the LAF primarily exists to benefit LA and that 'awareness' is somehow less than worthy.

Perhaps my use of the word "primarily" was OTT. I still think Lance benefits far more than any other charity patron I can think of and has undermined their credibility by using it as a smokescreen for any doping criticism, e.g. his confrontation with Paul Kimmage.

It's a little bit off topic and I'm sure most of their staff and volunteers are involved for genuine reasons so I'd rather stick to the doping issue on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

No
    Wibbs wrote: »
    *reading Tyler Hamiltons book on this score was interesting. He noted that the pro cyclist at the peak of his(and I presume her) form is a near weakling off the bike. They're half starved to get their weight down, hate walking and really hate stairs. Hinault used to be carried up stairs after races. Hamilton's ex wife was peed off with him on numerous occasions because he wouldn't, near couldn't go for a stroll with her. He'd be in bits after a relatively short walk. Mad eh.

Seriously, I feel like this after racing. The wife wants to go out on a Sunday after doing a hard vets race (me not her), play football with the kids etc and all I want to do is lie down.

Often remember doing a hard stage, getting to the digs and just taking off my helmet and shoes and getting into bed. No disco dancing for me that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    ror_74 wrote: »

He's good there's no doubting it. Bet he'd pass a polygraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

No
    Wiggins has appaently said that Armstrong deserves all he gets and that the evidence was overwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

No
    Sammy Sanchez oh dear
    "Until the contrary is proved, Lance remains innocent," said Sanchez. "Lance has overcome many controls and even until today he has never been found positive in any of them. So about all the accusations that have been poured against him, we have to see what is the goal of all of them, whether it is an economic motive or they want to harm his image"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    Could Armstrong face criminal charges if the tide turns against him?

• Advertisement

No
    Dowsetts interview is being used all over the place on tv to show there's still a few mad eejits who still think he's great. Team Skys pr team are lining up to give him big slaps I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BQQ

No
    ror_74 wrote: »

LOL.
    I can see those clips reappearing on 'Lie to Me' as Tim Roth says,

"Did you see that? Unmistakable. That was shame; and that there is contempt.
    He's lying."

*fade out, ad break*

No
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Dowsetts interview is being used all over the place on tv to show there's still a few mad eejits who still think he's great. Team Skys pr team are lining up to give him big slaps I'd say.

Apart from on Sky itself. A heavily edited version is shown now surprise, surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Good interview by Wiggins. The other pros tweeting and interviews are depressing really.

One thing that Wiggo said is that "some of these things are nearly 15 years ago", which while correct, seems to suggest that things have changed. The facts about LA's return in 2009 & 2010 and even more so the silence of others today means that I don't think that is the case.

My suspicion is that many of the riders claiming that things have changed are hoping that they do change..so that they can then win by doping themselves. 'Let everybody else stop first and after I've won a few times then I might stop'

The UCI won't clear this up, like asking the catholic church to sort out their problems. LA was the cash cow, the guy that brought the US market into cycling. I can only imagine the money the UCI & others made because of him. He wasn't untouchable because they liked him, he became untouchable because what he brought to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That'll do for me. Understated tone but hits most of the salient points.

Leinders is out, Barry has retired. Can we get back to hating Sky for being boring now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No
    I was disappointed that wiggins tried to portray it as in the past. I don't think he's a doper, but something is smelly about team sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Watched an interview with Wiggins at 6.00 (can't remember if it was sky news or sky sports news, I was flicking between the two) and he said he and Armstrong never competed in a tour together.
    What's he on about, has he forgotten 2009?

EDIT: It's here at 2.20
    http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16315_8158870,00.html

He says "That's a myth.
    I never raced against LA in my whole career, once at the Crit International, never at the Tour"
    WTF???

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Lumen wrote: »
    That'll do for me. Understated tone but hits most of the salient points.

Good enough for me too, subdued but honest. No pretending he didn't know what was going on either (unlike his DS Sean "see no evil" Yates).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

No
    Breaking news: Former UCI president wins gold medal at Backpedaling World Championships....
    “I repeat again: Lance Armstrong has never used doping. Never, never, never. And I say this not because I am a friend of his, because that is not true. I say it because I'm sure.” - Hein Verbruggen, May 24th 2011

"I never said that Armstrong never doped," -Hein Verbruggen, October 11th 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

No
    What this sorry affair has shown us is that idle speculation on internet forums and social media sites usually proves to be correct!!!

Maybe its just me but I feel so angry about it. I thought that yesterday would have been "yay we got the info" but it wasnt its shocking. The pros are ****e full stop! They would rather say nothing do nothing and pretend its not happening. The media like harmon saying he didnt have time to read it. The most important event in the history of cycling and he hadnt got time to read it so he cant comment. That is part of the problem. What happens to ex dopers? they end up as DS's of teams that is unacceptable.

I remember at the worlds in Zolder Scanlon was 10th or something and the italian riders were jeerring him because he was the fav. He made the gesture of injecting into the arm. How true that was. Chicci won that by the way and I see his name popping up in relation to doctor dope.

Do we believe that there are any clean teams? I am certainly finding it difficult to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Hmmm I posted the Paddy Power Lance picture to Facebook and its now been removed!

No
    Whatever you do don't open your door in the next few hours in case you get served!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    mikerd4 wrote: »
    Hmmm I posted the Paddy Power Lance picture to Facebook and its now been removed!

Bold boy mikerd4...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Im thinking its more of a Facebook glitch (I hope) than anything sinister

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

No
    Nicholas Roche on Prime Time tonight!

He is discussing the current economic malaise of Greece and Spain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    morana wrote: »

He is well known for his economic savvy ;)

No
    morana wrote: »

Shane Stokes will be on as well, talking about the bond market.

• Advertisement

No
    Well Chris DeBurgh was discussing the situation in Iran today for some bizarre reason.

Advertisement