Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Piece about Emma O'Reilly on Sticky Bottle where she claims Postal carried drugs to Dublin on the 98 Tour

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-soigneur-oreilly-transported-drugs-for-us-postal-team-got-customs-checks-in-dublin-abandoned-at-98-tour/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

No
    As in many other areas in life, monsters are created by the complicit masses, in Armstrongs case many fellow sportsmen, doctors, cycling officials,sponsors and now fundraisers were and are guilty of doing just that. Armstrong was and remains a monstrous ego and bully who has bastardised the sport of cycling but his greatest crime is that the lie he lived was done under the pretence of his fight against cancer.

Im all for raising as much money as possible and eliminating the scourge that is cancer but not like this. Armstrong's desire to inflate his ego is such that he wants to be a hero on every level, a cancer survivor, a great cyclist, a fundraiser. That he is a cancer survivor who overcame a potentially life threatening illness is beyond dispute, but that is where the heroism begins and ends. To proactively and systematically attempt to deceive the world of sport and the millions affected by cancer, by taking drugs to cheat is detestable in the extreme and cynical in equal measure.

To knowingly hang ones crusade against cancer on a career tainted by such a lie speaks volumes about Armstrongs self perception. Even today Armstrongs disdain for cancer victims is palpable as he beats his chest in defiance much as he did, when called out by Paul Kimmage and that OReilly girl, the real heros in this story. Alas Armstrong surrounded himself by people who gave in to his desire to pander to his own ego, a monster was born. From the bottom, right to the very top, the sport of cycling is tainted, massive corporations such as Nike (already tainted by their assocation with sweat shops in china ) have been complicit in the perpetuating the myth of and fanning the fundraising ego of Armstrong and I'm afraid many fundraising Americans continue to do so too.

It remains to be seen whether Armstrong will be found guilty of perjury, I dont hold my breath. What is certain is cancer sufferers and survivors need a new icon to fight their corner not a monstrous bullying egomaniac who will step on anyone and everyone to perpetuate his own myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Well said Heybaby......Lance Armstrongs greatest sin in my book is what he has done to the faith of people who suffer from cancer, people who are desperately looking for a light to help them fight the most difficult battle of their lives

Also he has taken their money and the money of their friends and family by perpetrating a lie

As for th new president of UCI...maybe this guy ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/13/christophe-bassons-not-bitter-lance-armstrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No
    Pat McQuaid "Shocked and angry" at Armstrong doping revelations :pac:
    and says he has always been a huge fan of Paul Kimmage and David Walsh*

*no, I'm only joking about that second bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

No
    Heard something on the radio about Paul Kimmage having something in one of the papers this morning - anyone know which paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    Is this as close to an admission of guilt we're going to get from lance?
    Lance Armstrong's lawyer Tim Herman tells 5 live's Sportsweek: 'We don't care whether he did or he didn't [dope], he's moved on."

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

No
    niceonetom wrote: »
    Heard something on the radio about Paul Kimmage having something in one of the papers this morning - anyone know which paper?

It is in the Sunday Independent, sorry tried looking for a link to the article but nothing on site yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

No
    The article cited in The Guardian above is the one reason IMHO that all of the UCI managing team need to resign or be forced out.
    It is one thing to introduce anti doping measures, but it's a very different thing to stand up and protect those who are clean or are fighting for a clean sport.
    * Outspoken clean cyclists have been bullied and this has to my knowledge never been tackled by UCI - by their silence they are complicit.
    * Campaigning outsiders/journalists have been vilified,
    * why does the UCI not protect the innocent?
    * why do some riders fail tests and others appear not to?
    * why do certain tainted cyclists who fail tests get heaped wit moral opprobrium whereas other cheats never get vilified (Basso, Armstrong, Valverde, Contador etc).

The organisation is broken. If Vaughters et al ever wanted a break away league know is the time -(with the proviso that the current classic s and semi classics are protected as well as certain traditional stage races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BQQ

No
    Have to LOL at Lance's lawyer.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2012/1014/341611-lawyer-lance-armstrong-may-take-lie-detector-test/

Basically says all the witnesses should take lie-detector tests.
    Then he's asked if Lance will take one.

"We might do that, you never know." "I don't know if we would or we wouldn't. We might."

:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    But surely a far better test would be a reanalysis of all those samples from the most tested rider in cycling. That more than anything would give us unequivocal proof of the fact that Lance is a cheat.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No
    I'd imagine he might even pass a lie detector. He has never once flinched during interviews when doping is mentioned. Its unnerving actually, to rewatch those interviews. If he was as good a cyclist as he was at telling porkies, he could have won without doping. Ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

No
    ror_74 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he might even pass a lie detector. He has never once flinched during interviews when doping is mentioned. Its unnerving actually, to rewatch those interviews. If he was as good a cyclist as he was at telling porkies, he could have won without doping. Ironically.

He must be on some sort of super lying drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭happytramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

happytramp wrote: »

not a dailymail fan but its a good article

"
    Figures for the most recent financial accounts for Armstrong's foundation show it had an income of $43million in the year ending December 31, 2011, of which almost $16m were donations.

Of the $35m spent in the same period, only $4.9m was spent on grants and awards for cancer sufferers and organisations helping them. "

"It's the classic do-good then you can hide behind it when you're doing the bad. It was the perfect obstruction."

Jimmy Saville and Lance Armstrong but have something in common so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    el tel wrote: »
    Though Armstrong will probably just come out with something along the lines of:

I raced with Xdozen riders in my career. 11 have testified against me. The non-testimonys of the Xdozen -11 riders shows I did not cheat.

3 days later:
    "I can tell you that many witnesses had contradictory stories to tell and Lance had incidentally over 600 fellow riders, team members, trainers, that sort of thing, in his career racing in Europe. Of those, I think 11 came forward, but many others would and have refuted many of the allegations.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ror_74 wrote: »
    I think so too, but theres also the chance that all of his past is finally catching up on him in his conscience and he might fall apart

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    I think so too, but theres also the chance that all of his past is finally catching up on him in his conscience and he might fall apart

Lance Armstrong has a conscience?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    That's disgusting, absolute f=cking mugs

It is disgusting but not altogether unpredictable. Armstrong and the UCI will survive and continue to prosper. The unexpected consequence, for me anyway, has been the holes punched in Team Sky's PR machine. Dowsett, Yates etc were good but Bradley 'its a myth i raced against LA' Wiggins was better. Far too emphatic and too much we've moved on for my liking.

articl10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    That's disgusting, absolute f=cking mugs

I wonder are his fans also creationists ? There are similarities..

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

No
    MPFG wrote: »
    Complete and utter fools the lot of them, it just shows what type of scum some people will support. to think this c*nt is worth millions from cheating and bulling makes me sick. .

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2012/1014/341611-lawyer-lance-armstrong-may-take-lie-detector-test/

"Lance may take lie detector test..."

he may, or he may not....not surprising, this line of response :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

No
    Have been listening to BBC Radio 5 Live - in case anyone's interested, I think I just heard them say that they have an interview coming up with Emma O'Reilly before 6pm this evening.

Edit: may have misheard - the host might have been referring to the special show at 7pm on Monday. Apologies if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

When you look at the response, or probable response, to the USADA report in USA, is it any real surprise that LA has done what he did?

The rewards were great, the governing body were either unwilling or unable (unwilling is my reading of it) to do anything and his audience (the US) don't seem too perturbed about these sort of things.

Become a winner and it seems that in the main the US populace will forgive anything. Had he stayed a mid rank, or even a one or two time TdF champion and the winner of some classics does anybody really think that he would have gained as much as he has. While Greg Lemond is respected, he hasn't done nearly as well in financial terms as Armstrong. Would his charity had gained such recognition?

While I doubt there would be too many to turn out to Phoenix Park 2, he will have many charity events that will be sold out so this his mind what he did was successful.

No
    A P wrote: »
    Have been listening to BBC Radio 5 Live - in case anyone's interested, I think I just heard them say that they have an interview coming up with Emma O'Reilly before 6pm this evening.

Edit: may have misheard - the host might have been referring to the special show at 7pm on Monday. Apologies if so.

Yep, big show tomorrow at 7. Interviews with Bassons, Tyler, dick pound, Emma O'Reily. Should be one to tune in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

No
    happytramp wrote: »
    Yep, big show tomorrow at 7. Interviews with Bassons, Tyler, dick pound, Emma O'Reily. Should be one to tune in for.
    Will there be a podcast up later of the interviews???.

No
    Will there be a podcast up later of the interviews???.

Yep. Not sure how long it takes them for them to put them up though.

• Advertisement

No
    corny wrote: »
    ....Bradley 'its a myth i raced against LA' Wiggins....

That was a very strange quote by Wiggins and I'm surprised the media hasn't picked up on it.

CPL 593H

Advertisement