Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel sorry for Liggett. Met him years ago and he seemed a very nice man, happy to mix it up with fellow fans.

I do too. I feel he probably was charmed by armstrong, who like many psychopaths can apparently be very charming. He hitched his reputation to Armstrongs wagon - stupidly - and now just doesn't want to face the obvious truth. I was a huge fan of Armstrong years ago, followed the tour around france in 2004 and was awed at him in the time trial on Alpe D'Huez. Took a fair bit of convincing for me to accept that he's the dirtiest cheat ever in sports. Poor Phil just needs to be honest with himself, I think he knows that Lance is guilty as sin, he just doesn't want to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

No
    Australian documentary, worth a watch.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/10/11/3608613.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No

Already posted a couple of pages back but definitely worth a watch.

For those inclined you can tune in to BBC radio 5 on Sky.

Add channels
    H
    5/6

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

No
    Just a reminder that BBC Radio 5 Live have a programme on tonight at 7pm called 'Peddlers - Cycling's Dirty Truth'.

Starting now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Zascar wrote: »
    Starting now..

Gonna be good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

No
    It's brilliant already! Did I hear it lasts two hours or did I pick that up wrong? Hope it does, fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Is that Hamilton on now? Just tuned in...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    ckeego wrote: »
    Is that Hamilton on now? Just tuned in...

Yes

It really is quite unreal to see all of David Walsh's writing, particularly in the book from Lance to Landis all coming into the mainstream over the last few weeks..

Pretty much word for word in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    I'm banking on downloading this later, in the meantime Off the ball have said they'll have someone at the centre of Lances downfall on later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    It really is quite unreal to see all of David Walsh's writing, particularly in the book from Lance to Landis all coming into the mainstream over the last few weeks..

Pretty much word for word in fact.

On that subject, I have a copy of LA Confidential but haven't yet read it. Is there much in it that isn't in From Lance to Landis? Or has it all been surpassed by the recent revelations?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No
    Zascar wrote: »
    It's brilliant already! Did I hear it lasts two hours or did I pick that up wrong? Hope it does, fantastic stuff.

Yup it's on until 9pm.
    Great listening so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    MPFG wrote: »

I read that as "Michael Barrymore's view" first.

Was wondering why we'd want to read his opinion on this!

No
    The idea of taking out your blood, putting it into fridge and then back into you weeks later......dreafdul

On an aside more needs to be done to protect riders...there is no doubt there is a lot of money in pro cycling but it seems to controlled by a few .......especially the managers .....is there a cyclist union not the UCI ??? a body solely for cyclists to ensure a minimum wage, a rep to represent them if there are shady practices in the pelethon like bullying, etc

Hermy wrote: »
    On that subject, I have a copy of LA Confidential but haven't yet read it. Is there much in it that isn't in From Lance to Landis? Or has it all been surpassed by the recent revelations?

I may be wrong Hermy, but my understanding is that LA Confidential was originally written and published outside of the UK because of the libel laws. I have not read it either, but again Emma O'Reilly is interviewed at length in LA Confidential.

Not necessarily a case of things being surpassed by recent revelations, this is more of a case of David Walsh, amongst others having their revelations being vindicated.

Based off what Walsh said in the ST yesterday, I could foresee Armstrong being sued for an awful lot of money. Think about prize money, think of the bet that he won for the 5th TdF to name 2, think of the money that the Times settled for libel, to name just 3.

If you have not read them yet, get your hands on Breaking the Chain and Bad Blood also.

Whilst Landis was dismissed as a nut case, it seems very difficult now to see how someone as well spoken and eloquent as Tyler Hamilton was put down and poo poohed as well as so many more...

The power of a bully comes to mind...

No
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I read that as "Michael Barrymore's view" first.

Was wondering why we'd want to read his opinion on this!

Well Michael Barrymore does know alot of illiict substances as evident from Essex parties !!!!

No
    Tyler Hamilton's voice is very like an American actors voice but I can't rememebr who ???

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mannix1888

No
    Listening to backers of Armstrong on the radio trying to defend Lance Armstrong is similar to that crowd in Cavan trying to defend Sean Quinn.

No
    Whatever the Americans think about drugs in sport surely they must deplore bullying as Lance Armstrong did....shameful

Mentality of the pack....I guess its join us or your against us

• Advertisement

No
    I may be wrong Hermy, but my understanding is that LA Confidential was originally written and published outside of the UK because of the libel laws. I have not read it either, but again Emma O'Reilly is interviewed at length in LA Confidential.

Yeah I've read Bad Blood and Breaking The Chain as well as Lance to Landis but just wondered about LA Confidential. My understanding on that was that it was only published in French but there was a link on the David Walsh wikipedia page some years back to a pdf of LA Confidential which I downloaded but never read. Just wondered if I should dig it out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah I've read Bad Blood and Breaking The Chain as well as Lance to Landis but just wondered about LA Confidential. My understanding on that was that it was only published in French but there was a link on the David Walsh wikipedia page some years back to a pdf of LA Confidential which I downloaded but never read. Just wondered if I should dig it out.

Is it in French?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No
    Betsy andreu on off the ball later this evening

No
    Is it in French?

Sorry - meant to say it's an English translation!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry - meant to say it's an English translation!

Tres superb! Would love to see a link if it is still there...

My French is terrible, despite having lived there and worked there for close on a decade...

That said, just looking at my last post, I have been living here for nearly 40 years and my Queen's English is crap too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

I need to stop reading every single thing about this case. It took me a while to realise this was a piss take.........I think.
    http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/10/sherwen-goes-into-hiding-after-reasoned-decision-release/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Yes, but he's still great
    Excellent radio show. Really informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭allybhoy

No
    Clanket wrote: »
    Excellent radio show. Really informative.
    Anyone got a link yet ? Missed this...

By the way for those interested I have a read online only link for translated LA Confidential in work, ill stick it up tomorrow if allowed by mods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

+1 on any link to a podcast for that 5-live show. Thanks!

Advertisement