Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

No
    walshb wrote: »
    Yes! I know why USADA are punishing him.

ah, your post seemed to imply that he was being punished for that one test in 1999.

so basically you're saying you know what went on but you don't agree with the punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ah, your post seemed to imply that he was being punished for that one test in 1999.

so basically you're saying you know what went on but you don't agree with the punishment?

I know what USADA allege/claim went on. Not sure my post implied that. If so, aplogies there. It was not my intention.

Like I said about Bradley Wiggins, there is no such thing as irrefutable evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    Only recemtly has this exploded onto the world scene.

In this forum alone you'll find evidence proving to the contrary. Anyone following profesional cycling would have been aware of the rumours and stories for years.

Just because the wider public are only hearing these stories now does not make them recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

No
    Quote from David Walsh on twitter,
    David WalshDavidWalshST
    Just done interview for BBC 5-live, first question has words 'allegations against Lance Armstrong' - truly, if you didn't laugh, you'd cry!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In this forum alone you'll find evidence proving to the contrary. Anyone following profesional cycling would have been aware of the rumours and stories for years.

Just because the wider public are only hearing these stories now does not make them recent.

Yes, to those following the sport I agree it's been known. I was speaking about the general population. Should have been clearer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    You know i still don't know what your point is Walshb. You're saying lots without really saying anything.

Armstrong doped but he has a defence is that it? And that this should temper any recrimination? Does it matter that anyone with a brain who has analysed his 'defence' has rejected it out of hand.

No
    I know what USADA allege/claim went on. Not sure my post implied that. If so, aplogies there. It was not my intention.

So is it a case that you don't believe the evidence or you don't think the punishment is appropriate?

(if the former, can you outline roughly which bits you do and don't accept)

corny wrote: »
    You know i still don't know what your point is Walshb. You're saying lots without really saying anything.

Armstrong doped but he has a defence is that it? And that this should temper any recrimination? Does it matter that anyone with a brain who has analysed his 'defence' has rejected it out of hand.

Armstrong says he didn't dope. And, yes, he would say that, but where are the test results to say he doped? I am aware of the 1999 test.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

One's view of cheating tends to depend to some extent on who you're cheering for. Part time football fans will ignore their own team's indiscretions, while regarding the other side advancing a football six inches over a white line as especially outrageous. The season ticket holders tend to take a more balanced view.

Armstrong's particular problem here is that he is an obnoxious human being and a bully. This is obvious to anyone who has more than a passing acquaintance with the sport. Less obvious, unless you hang around cycling forums, is that his particular brand of cheating was in a different league from most of the others.

If all you ever see is the highlights of Alpine stages in July, you see a rather different Lance Armstrong. He was always going to polarise opinions, and still does. But the people closest to the sport are, ultimately, right about the big question.

On the other hand, is it really true that there is nothing in the positive column?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No
    but where are the test results to say he doped?

JESUS CHRIST!

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    JESUS CHRIST!

Is that your answer?

No
    Is that your answer?

It's an exclamation of despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Yes, but he's still great
    Armstrong says he didn't dope. And, yes, he would say that, but where are the test results to say he doped? I am aware of the 1999 test.

What exactly is your point? That he shouldn't be punished because there are no positive tests?

They have other evidance that proves beyond reasonable doubt that he was a cheater. So he's been caught and imo it's only a matter of time before he comes out and admits it.

No

Ok, so first question is are you saying that a positive lab test is the only criteria by which anybody should ever be found guilty of doping?

Second question is, do you accept any of the testimony given to the USADA as factual? (kinda moot if your answer is yes to the first question)

Raam wrote: »
    It's an exclamation of despair.

Why are you despairing?

Where are the positive tests to show he used PEDs?

No
    Why are you despairing?

Why do you want them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No

Results from 2009 were 'fully consistent' with blood doping. Your response.

If you find a body with thirty stab wounds in it, half a pint of the victim's blood on the defendant's shirt, the defendant's skin under the victim's fingernails, CCTV of the stabbing and a guy who says he hid the murder weapon, you don't actually need to find the murder weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Well, the thread is so so anti Lance I just thought I'd give my view. It is not near as condemning as many other views on the thread. The sport was filthy in the 80s and 90s and early 00s. He was part of the sport and he never tested positive during his success. Now all this is coming out. Where were all these people during 1999-2005?

What people? Yes, some of us knew full well what was going on but were confined to the murky corners of the internet as almost nobody wanted to hear about St. Armstrong and his doings. Bans and infractions were the order of the day on most fora for even attempting to discuss it. This thread isn't necessarily 'anti Lance' per se, it's just finally airing the truth. Yes, the sport was filthy but blocking your eyes and ears wont make it any less dirty... and PLEASE don't trot out that tired hogwash about never testing positive - it is what it always was, total, utter sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No

Why are you despairing?

If you need these there is something wrong with your logic stick. Throw it away and pick up a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

No
    Can't believe there is some people still defending pharmstrong

Can you source that please so I can read up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

No
    shaka wrote: »
    Can't believe there is some people still defending pharmstrong

not people, person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

No
    Can you source that please so I can read up.

if you had read this thread then you would have found it posted a few days ago

To be fair, that particular one is not very good. "Fully consistent with doping" is not the same as "inexplicable except by doping".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No
    Walshb how much have you read and understood of the recent summary report issued by USADA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

No
    Do your own research its not too hard to find

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    If you find a body with thirty stab wounds in it, half a pint of the victim's blood on the defendant's shirt, the defendant's skin under the victim's fingernails, CCTV of the stabbing and a guy who says he hid the murder weapon, you don't actually need to find the murder weapon.
    Hang on, hang on - I know this one ...

... Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Kitchen knife??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No
    Why are you despairing?

Even Lance knew when the game was up.

Why do you reckon he didnt fight the charges then?

Because he was being bullied? (Never put him off a good fight before)
    Because everyone was out to get him? (Finally individuals had an organisation willing to listen and do something)
    Because it was a witch hunt? (Lance would seem to have been a very wicked witch indeed based on the evidence)

The reason there were no positive tests* was because he was very, very good at covering his tracks, and because he was very good at pr spin where he mentions the 300, 400, 500, or 600 tests he passed (the number varied depending on when you asked his legal team). Retrospective testing, peer evidence, and a thorough investigation is uncovering his tracks, thankfully.

*there are positive tests.

Advertisement