Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    I was in a restaurant last night. To be accurate it was more of a diner, but that's not important. A rather glum looking family of four sat in a booth opposite, each of them with faces buried in ther smartphones and wearing a****LiveStrong band on their wrist. That would have made them sad bastards at the best of times, but have they not being watching the news lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

mitosis wrote: »
    Sky pull publicity stunt, more like. This is mere image management. If there was any real resolve they'll be making a few redundancies.

As for who would sign, why, if a player is prepared to cheat, would signing a bit of paper make a difference to them?

So what was in those due diligence dossiers that Dave Brailsford trotted out when signing riders - f*ck all is my bet. This is at worst reinforcing the omertá (i.e. speak out and you'll be sacked) or at best a publicity stunt to cover up the fact they messed up in the first place and are no different from the rest when they've hired Yates, Leinders, Rodgers and Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    emtroche wrote: »
    Emma O'Reilly and Shane Stokes are going to be on the Craig Doyle show tonight. RTE2 10.35

I'd be interested to hear more on the whole customs thing from 1998. Sounds very strange to me.
    Even if Lance and Pat McQuaid were on I don't think I could watch if it's hosted by Craig Doyle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    el tel wrote: »
    I was in a restaurant last night. To be accurate it was more of a diner, but that's not important. A rather glum looking family of four sat in a booth opposite, each of them with faces buried in ther smartphones and wearing a****LiveStrong band on their wrist. That would have made them sad bastards at the best of times, but have they not being watching the news lately?

Sounds like they to start using the phone stack:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Phone%20Stack

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    Junior wrote: »
    So what was in those due diligence dossiers that Dave Brailsford trotted out when signing riders - f*ck all is my bet. This is at worst reinforcing the omertá (i.e. speak out and you'll be sacked) or at best a publicity stunt to cover up the fact they messed up in the first place and are no different from the rest when they've hired Yates, Leinders, Rodgers and Barry.

That the omertà continues is clearly evidenced by the fact that so many within the sport have been 'shocked' by the revelations.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    I listened to the BBC 5 live programme on Monday ..(since then been trying to get rid of the Metroploitan police Virus from my computer, nothing to do with the programme I hasten to add) but I wondered when listening to Emma O' Reilly can she be prosecuted for admitting to drug smuggling ...not once but twice , once i think into Belguim and another time between France and Spain....strange

Also I found her attitude to it all a bit stange....as if it was all a bit of a lark .... and she kept laughing and refering to Armstrong a Lance this and Lance that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    MPFG wrote: »
    Also I found her attitude to it all a bit stange....as if it was all a bit of a lark .... and she kept laughing and refering to Armstrong a Lance this and Lance that.....

She did say she had a great time at that point in her life, she was young and living in all sorts of places and that she wasn't going to let Armstrong, or the whole doping scandal, can't remember which exactly she said, ruin or cloud that time for her.

No
    Anyone ever see Ferrari's web page? It's almost like a comedy page:
    http://53x12.com/
    Ride faster, longer, higher!
    Train with the real coach of the Pro's.
    Get your personalized training program, week by week from Dr. Michele Ferrari!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

No
    Cienciano wrote: »

Haha never seen that! WTF! No mention of him loosing his license, banned from sport etc. Actually, whilst im typing and seeing as though there is a lot of talk in the last few pages about Team Sky I came across this on cyclismas and wanted to know what people think.

Wiggins-Plaster.jpg
    The interview took place after the punishing individual time trial, which Wiggins won by a country mile. We had an expert examine the photo, who stated it’s the median cubital vein that’s been tapped based on the position of the plaster.

Why is the plaster there?

The UCI passed a no needles policy in May of 2011 which stated the following (quote courtesy of cyclingnews.com article by Stephen Farrand):

The UCI Regulations now prohibit injections that have the aim of artificially improving performance or helping recovery. It means riders can no longer inject vitamins, sugars, enzymes, amino acids or antioxidants to aid recovery. It is hoped the ban will contribute to the eradication of doping by greatly reducing the use of injections in cycling.

Herein lies the problem. No one asked why Wiggins had a plaster, and the interesting fact is that Boulting, who conducted the interview, didn’t find the plaster on Wiggins arm as strange. According to sources within the Tour de France, there wasn’t any blood drawn for anti-doping purposes on that day

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    allybhoy wrote: »
    Team Sky I came across this on cyclismas and wanted to know what people think.
    If you want to start a discussion speculating about any riders who have not been proven to have doped, think again

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement

No
    Haha never seen that! WTF! No mention of him loosing his license, banned from sport etc.
    He has a section on the "USADA conspiracy"!
    http://53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=123

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No

Dr Nick Michele Ferrari

drmichele_zps648b701a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

No

Haha, he also has a blog entry called "Giving Blood is good for the brain" Jesus, you couldnt write this shoite.
    Beasty wrote: »
    If you want to start a discussion speculating about any riders who have not been proven to have doped, think again

Thanks

Beasty

I just thought people might be interested in seeing that picture and the story to it...I know i was.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No

All that was missing from that effort was
    'Lance? Lance who?'

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    I just thought people might be interested in seeing that picture and the story to it...I know i was.
    You asked what people thought - it was quite clear what you were getting at. If you (or indeed anyone else) have any further questions about this take it to PM

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Even after he is stripped of his titles and has to hand back any physical trophies, Armstrong will almost certainly still have many millions of dollars in his bank account - assuming he invested even a part of his income in the years it was rolling in - and will be able to enjoy financial security for the rest of his life.:)

If I was in his position, I'd say "enough is enough" as well.:rolleyes:

117417_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bollbill

No
    Haha, he also has a blog entry called "Giving Blood is good for the brain" Jesus, you couldnt write this shoite.

I was mate. Be be careful what you do or say ion boards, the mods have to be seen to be doing something every day and have a ban quota to reach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes, but he's still great
    Bollbill wrote: »
    I was mate. Be be careful what you do or say ion boards, the mods have to be seen to be doing something every day and have a ban quota to reach.

MOD VOICE: If we do, you shouldn't attempt to make it easy. There is a warning in thread after this for any further discussion or query on the matter to be by PM. Do not bring it up in thread again please. The next warning, will be some time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    el tel wrote: »

Was it the Armstrongs?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No
    Some odd ball comments flying to-and-fro on his Strava profile.

Q. Now that all his sponsors are deserting him, how poor will he become ? I assume he has huge legal bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Hein "The Magnificent" offers his opinion...

http://tourdejose.com/2012/10/18/hein-verbruggen-vs-de-telegraaf-english-translations/

Hein Verbruggen: The only thing I can say is that there are many, many stories and allegations but not a tracé of EVIDENCE. There isn’t any. LA was never found positive, not by USADA either. And everyone who knows the control procedures knows there is nothing to arrange etc etc. I am a bit beyond the “tired of it” stadium. Have a good night! Hein.

Update:

Verbruggen issued a statement through the UCI on Thursday contesting an article in Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf that said he believed there is no evidence against Armstrong.

"My reaction (to the newspaper) was strictly limited to the fact that Lance Armstrong was never found positive by the anti-doping laboratories, that there was no positive test and that there was nothing to be covered up," Verbruggen said.

Clear as mud then.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

No
    Fran Millar Pro of SKy says that "Bradley and the other Top 5 in GC were tested for blood an urine after the final TT".

That clears up the "PlasterGate" conspiracy. Phew !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    Finnrocco wrote: »
    Fran Millar Pro of SKy says that "Bradley and the other Top 5 in GC were tested for blood an urine after the final TT".
    !

Did they say whether or not they found any blood or urine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

buffalo wrote: »
    Sounds like they to start using the phone stack:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Phone%20Stack

Thanks for that, Buffalo...

I preferred this one though...

WFIO
    September 26
    A business acronym standing for "We're ****ed it's over"
    Dear shareholders,

WFIO.

Yours Truly,

Lance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    Had a piece on this with Shane Stokes on the 7pm sport program on Radio 1 this evening. They were picking apart Armstrong's lawyer's statements. I presume it's a podcast somewhere.

Most interesting bit of info (that I hadn't heard before) was that Armstrong's agent Bill Stapleton was one of those consulted during the founding of USADA (possibly WADA), and has been of late complaining about the rules that he helped draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    Apparently Armstrong and the UCI will be releasing statements tomorrow.

Coincidence both have decided to say something the same day?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    Link here buffalo.
    ThisRegard wrote: »

Hardly!:rolleyes:

Genealogy Forum Mod

No
    ThisRegard wrote: »

If Verbruggen had his way, it would be this:

28587217.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Advertisement