Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No
    Hermy wrote: »

...........and the UCI have fallen back, they're out the back of the peloton, looks like they're approaching the team car, I'd say they're making the 'calculation', yep, getting some form of advice, .............but wait.......they're now being dropped on the climb, looks like that's the end of their ambitions, peddling squares at this stage !
    /I hope so anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

No
    leftism wrote: »
    +1 on that! Even if we take all the doping out of it, Lance was never someone i would classify as a hero. From day 1, his attitude both on and off the bike was as far removed from heroic as it is possible to be. The word "hero" suggests someone inspirational who's actions and behaviour should be emulated by others. I certainly would not like my kids emulating Lance Armstrong, in a similar way that i would not like my kids emulating Christiano Ronaldo.

Again, taking all the doping and cheating out of it:

Lance was successful at beating cancer. He was very successful in professional cycling.

Success does not a hero make...

Indeed, I always found Armstrong graceless (now he's in disgrace -TeHe!).

When Pantani beat him across the line on Ventoux, he claimed he'd let Pantani win, treating an other champion like that! Even it were true which I seriously doubt.

Also his not even contesting any race he wasn't fairly confident of winning e.g. any one day classic or the world champs. The nature of cycling especially one day races is you can't win them all, he just couldn't bear to be seen to try and fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Also his not even contesting any race he wasn't fairly confident of winning e.g. any one day classic or the world champs.

Too busy charging up at 'training camps'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Indeed, I always found Armstrong graceless (now he's in disgrace -TeHe!).

When Pantani beat him across the line on Ventoux, he claimed he'd let Pantani win, treating an other champion like that! Even it were true which I seriously doubt."

I completely agree with you he was graceless, however if you watch the climb up Ventoux IMO it's clear Armstrong could have taken Pantani if he wanted to. He was going like a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

No
    Flandria wrote: »
    Too busy charging up at 'training camps'...

That's true, but only for the pre-Tour classics. Why did the best road cyclist in the world hardly ever contest the world road race champs? End of season and all that, so no reason not to stay of the juice for a week or two and enter the world championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

Was what Emma O'Reilly admits to doing re: transporting illegal drugs, hiding remnants from the authorities and concealing drugs all not illegal? Why does she think she is the heroin of this story?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    Was what Emma O'Reilly admits to doing re: transporting illegal drugs, hiding remnants from the authorities and concealing drugs all not illegal? Why does she think she is the heroin of this story?!

Wak wak wak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rubiera-i-never-saw-armstrong-dope

I really hope it's satire...
    José Luis Rubiera ...eulogised the ability of controversy-mired coach Michele Ferrari, calling him “the best coach there is”.

"There were great riders who were close to [Armstrong] such as [Jan] Ullrich, [Ivan] Basso and [Alex] Zülle, but he was undoubtedly the best and he showed that by winning the Tour seven times.”

“I never saw him dope. ...I think that you have to look to the future and also judge the sporting quality of a person like Armstrong.”

It's got to be satirical, right?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Were they illegal? They were certainly banned so far as cyclists were concerned, but that does not automatically make them "illegal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    buffalo wrote: »

I really hope it's satire...

It's got to be satirical, right?

I just read Chechu's wiki
    Wiki wrote:
    He is very respected in the peloton and was elected as deputy to the cyclists' representative council of the UCI ProTour.

The ability to bury ones head in the sand was a requisite for the job in those days.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Not sure if it's a repeat but Emma O'Reilly is about to be interviewed on RTE 1 The Craig Doyle Show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Beasty wrote: »
    Were they illegal? They were certainly banned so far as cyclists were concerned, but that does not automatically make them "illegal"

Carrying prescription medicines which are not you own is illegal in this country, transporting them across borders which she has admitted to is even more so!
    Thats said in the scheme of things it's as minor an offense as they come...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

No
    A new low.
    http://t.co/qVJKKZsI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    When did she claim to be the heroine? Take your livestrong bracelet off.

No
    I can't wait for Armstrong's statement. As those closest to him desert him, for the sake of drama I hope he exposes each and everyone of them and their complicity. It would be the mother of all Sh!tstorms. But I think I'm going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    drogdub wrote: »

That's seriously damning (assuming the story stands up). The comments, as usual, show how deeply ingrained the "Cancer Research" myth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

No

In closing, I wanted to add that my personal opinion is that I am skeptical as to whether Armstrong ever really was a cancer victim/survivor or whether this was another of his scams to fool the world, his followers and those suffering from the disease

Now that would be the mother of all cover ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

No
    Sounds like Nike are transfering the funds used on LA to sponsor Rory Mclroy

Or at least they are now in talks Rory about a sponsorship deal ... The part about using money saved by ending their association with pharmstrong is pure speculation on my part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

No
    I hate the whole cancer research myth. Not 1 cent goes on research and some find this perfectly ok. Also a line LA uses and also one his supporters regularly trot out "he beat cancer" no he didn't. Nobody beats cancer, you simply survive it knowing full well it may come back.

What's also baffling is that in the past 24hrs another vote in the poll has gone to 'No'. Seriously? Has to be some kids attempt at a troll. If it is, you're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement

No
    LA rolled out the yellow carpet last night for a Liestrong bash with the great and the good who were there to bid for his yellow jerseys and a couple of bikes. Not the first time bikes and stuff were auctioned, if crazy Floyd is to be believed;) The smarmy git had the gall to quote Martin Luther King and didn't directly mention any of the goings on... Maybe he thinks the tide has turned, what with Rubiera supporting him yesterday and Robin Williams coming out to play last night. You know things will be alright when Mork from Ork is on your side...

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No

What has LA got on him that he has to feel obliged to come out with this heft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No
    Probably deserves it's own thread: what will they name the film ?

Juan Pelota, 2 wheels and the 7 wonders of the world !

From hero to zero in a Ferrari !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No

Juan Pelota, 2 wheels and the 7 wonders of the world !

From hero to zero in a Ferrari !

"Lance - I still never tested positive"

A true underdog story of ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

No
    "It's about the bike"

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

No

thats absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    That's seriously damning (assuming the story stands up). The comments, as usual, show how deeply ingrained the "Cancer Research" myth is.

I am sick of all this funding Cancer Research BS. They don't they raise the awareness of cancer and help survivors, and I think that work looks very tenuous indeed, I could never figure out what they did with there money.

If you want to help research then donate here http://www.cancer.ie/research

Armstrong always came across as arrogant and stuck up bully, with no time for anybody but himself, I remember seeing him a few years ago on the Tour of Ireland where he just abandoned before the finish in Cork, and left straight away, pushing aside fans etc with his grumpy get the f*** out of my way face on.

Contrast that with the current top crop with Wiggins and Cav, they still have the single mindedness that is needed to win at a top level, but they come across as more likeable and seem to have a bit of a laugh with more time for fans which is what the sport needs.

No
    To do this story justice it would have to be a high end drama series, like The Wire or The Sopranos. I don't think you could condense it into 2 hours. There are too many subplots.

• Advertisement

No
    Floyd as Omar... Tyler as Bubbles... Cheryl Crowe as Snoop - I like it

Advertisement