Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

No

He could have turned it inside out or worn something over it;)
    Inside out makes a good statement!

I own a RadioShack gilet. I bought it because it was on special and is good quality. I'm not a Lance fan, nor have I been for years but I don't have an issue wearing it and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

No
    Updated..oh the irony..

Nb4ET.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

No
    Zyzz wrote: »
    Oh the irony..

Nb4ET.jpg
    I feel for people and companies that have backstock of any armstrong/livestrong related merchandise ... Mostly innocent by standers left with stock that will be impossible to shift

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I thought it was interesting that ligget mentioned in the article linked to that he believed cadel won his tour clean and had no doubts... no mention of Bradley the most recent winner ? Usually liggets a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BQQ

No
    Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting that ligget mentioned in the article linked to that he believed cadel won his tour clean and had no doubts... no mention of Bradley the most recent winner ? Usually liggets a big fan.

It was an Aussie newspaper.
    They only care about Cadel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    The American's are not abandoning Armstrong

Even Sean Penn is still a believer.....who incidently has been scraped from playing Frankie Andreu in my movie ...so there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20014508

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

No
    JUst going to re-post this, partly to emphasise my amazement that a story like this isnt a huge headline in the bigger Armstrong story. Or perhaps I am naive and its ok to bag 500K+ and act like a muppet as long as the rest goes to charity.

http://t.co/qVJKKZsI

Basically appears like a fund raising ride, each person paid 35k, got a receipt for 25k, much to their perplexment. Looks like the other 10k went somewhere else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    MPFG wrote: »
    The American's are not abandoning Armstrong

Even Sean Penn is still a believer.....who incidently has been scraped from playing Frankie Andreu in my movie ...so there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20014508

This coming from the man who wrote:
    As an American, I've got a little Al Capone in me. I like the idea of individual achievement. Just not against a background of hopeless oppression.

Not above a little bit of hypocrisy then Mr Penn. To be frank, hopeless oppression sums up what the likes of the Andreus, Bassons et al suffered at the hands of Lance and his cronies.

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sean-penn/mountain-of-snakes_b_146765.html (note: extremely long, not worth the read - quote is there though!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

No
    seve65 wrote: »
    JUst going to re-post this, partly to emphasise my amazement that a story like this isnt a huge headline in the bigger Armstrong story. Or perhaps I am naive and its ok to bag 500K+ and act like a muppet as long as the rest goes to charity.

Basically appears like a fund raising ride, each person paid 35k, got a receipt for 25k, much to their perplexment. Looks like the other 10k went somewhere else ?
    Has that story been verified?

No

This largely depends on one key thing. Was it in the fine print that Lance pocketed 10k a head for his time. If not, huge scale fraud. If it's in the fine print, then it's just outrageously greedy and distasteful.

I think it's fair to say given the weight of the evidence seeping out that Lance Armstrong is a thoroughly vile piece of work.

• Advertisement

No
    the major winners in this fiasco are Lance Armstrongs legal team. Already given a lot of work to-date hounding his detractors, they now have a guaranteed 3-5 years of lawsuits rolling in from ex-sponsors, libel victories being retracted etc. Cha-ching $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

if it was in the fine print (to which I have of course not seen) then why is the money distasteful? His alleged conduct on the day seems extremely questionable, but $25k for charity is good, and$ 10k to cycle with a 6/7 time tdf champion, the biggest cycling name on the planet, seems just like good business to me.
    How much would certain people pay to train with Messi, or play a round with Tiger Woods?
    Knowing the true details now of his career puts a different slant on it, but at the time how many people knew it. hell, how many turned out in the Park (for free being the big difference!)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

No
    Dowee wrote: »
    People are expected to throw perfectly usable cycling gear now just because of misdeeds of the former chairman?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

No
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    if it was in the fine print (to which I have of course not seen) then why is the money distasteful? His alleged conduct on the day seems extremely questionable, but $25k for charity is good, and$ 10k to cycle with a 6/7 time tdf champion, the biggest cycling name on the planet, seems just like good business to me.
    How much would certain people pay to train with Messi, or play a round with Tiger Woods?
    Knowing the true details now of his career puts a different slant on it, but at the time how many people knew it. hell, how many turned out in the Park (for free being the big difference!)

would you charge that much or do it that way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

No
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I feel for people and companies that have backstock of any armstrong/livestrong related merchandise ... Mostly innocent by standers left with stock that will be impossible to shift

It is such a pity as its some of the nicest out there :( (colour wise/schemes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    How much would certain people pay to train near Messi, or play a round after Tiger Woods?

Fixed that for you. :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Well if it's the colour scheme you like, you could try these;):
    resize.php?img=74fe8a9560cdc55fd5cc8c6fda07f366.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No

Shouldn't yellow really be reserved for the Tour leader anyway? Even when he was the king of cycling it was a bit rich to usurp the color scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No

This guy remembers it a little differently.....http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=10889&status=True&catname=Latest%20News

Interesting caption on one of the photos...
    I joined 30 major donors who’d contributed $35,000 to the Tour of Courage cancer fundraiser each to spend two days riding with Lance, George Hincapie, Chris Carmichael, Phil Liggett, and Johan Bruyneel in Lake Louise Alberta.

Thought it might have been a misprint...but its here...
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2492
    “During the Tour I bumped into Lance at a hotel, and the first thing he said was: ‘hey, are you coming to Calgary? I want you to be there. They’re really nice people and they raised a sh*tload of money for cutting edge cancer research. You gotta come and experience it.’” – said Phil Liggett of Lance’s request to join him for the Calgary Tour of Courage Society’s fundraiser Sept. 25 & 26.

If you read further down. I think the whole confusion about this story is that the minimum spend to ride with lance was $25,000. So to speed up the paperwork process they must have had receipts for $25,000 ready for people. That's all. Nothing to see here. They were trying to help out. Efficiency people. Give the guy a break.

Edit: Actually the second article was 2004. So he was there two years. Must have spent alot of time together those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    About as much as we're going to get out of the Jensie but from his twitter

"And yes, went to @LIVESTRONG diner on Saturday, yes i was there, but trying to separate the innocent idea of the charity from all that crap"

"When i said crap than i meant all the lying and all the bad things some people did in the past and its payback time for them now."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

I thought it was interesting that ligget mentioned in the article linked to that he believed cadel won his tour clean and had no doubts... no mention of Bradley the most recent winner ? Usually liggets a big fan.[/QUOTE]

Quigs senior, are you suggesting now that if a journalist doesnt mention a certain rider, Wiggins in this instance that there is a doubt over that rider?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I thought it was interesting that ligget mentioned in the article linked to that he believed cadel won his tour clean and had no doubts... no mention of Bradley the most recent winner ? Usually liggets a big fan.[/QUOTE]

Quigs senior, are you suggesting now that if a journalist doesnt mention a certain rider, Wiggins in this instance that there is a doubt over that rider?

Generally speaking, no of course not and as a long time wiggo fan I would like to think that nothing unpleasant will ever come up about 2012 - although I did see some things that were not dissimilar to what we were seeing a decade ago. But its all about context. In cycling it has been the case for a long time now that what is unsaid, says a lot more than what is actually said ( e.g 1998 festina... bassons is unimpeachable was the talk I.e. everyone else was juiced on the team). In this instance a previous poster mentioned that the article is in an Australian publication.. therefore cadel comment now has context so case closed. For now anyway. (Unrelated but I happen to think Evans might have been the first clean winner since lemond - sastre outside bet too - but his earlier work at the start of his road career testing with Ferrari would suggest if he was indeed clean its unlikely this was always the case - his tenure at tmobile and of course his current boss ..big och are not terribly inspiring but he should be given the benefit of the doubt for 2011 .. he certainly looked far more believable than any other winner... best tour in many years by the way, proper racing.. it was like the ras or something).

If Liggets interview was on UK sky news or similar you would be raising an eyebrow because the fact of the matter is that these guys, to a man, commentators and riders alike despite all their 'I'm shocked but its all in the past' crap, know what's what and who's doing what. Its as plain as day that they are just swimming with the tide like 95% of people would probably do. I won't judge too harshly, we all probably do things we don't want to do to stay in our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

No
    corny wrote: »
    About as much as we're going to get out of the Jensie but from his twitter

"And yes, went to @LIVESTRONG diner on Saturday, yes i was there, but trying to separate the innocent idea of the charity from all that crap"

"When i said crap than i meant all the lying and all the bad things some people did in the past and its payback time for them now."

extremely disappointed in this sham!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

morana wrote: »
    extremely disappointed in this sham!

You should have seen what he had to say about Hamilton's book a couple of weeks ago. He's seriously drinking from the Armstrong Koolaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    “During the Tour I bumped into Lance at a hotel, and the first thing he said was: ‘hey, are you coming to Calgary? I want you to be there. They’re really nice people and they raised a sh*tload of money for cutting edge cancer research. You gotta come and experience it.’” – said Phil Liggett of Lance’s request to join him for the Calgary Tour of Courage Society’s fundraiser Sept. 25 & 26.

This coming from the same Phil that knew absolutely nothing about anything and is disappointed and hurt?

2pophdu.jpg

lance_armstrong_phil_liggett_600.jpg

phil-lance.jpg

A cozy little cartel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Any idea when we can expect the UCI's statement? Was amazed to see no mention of LA USADA on their website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Fair play to Liggett for that. Can't have been an easy admission, personally or publicly.
    Or financially???
    Cycling commentator Phil Liggett says Lance Armstrong made a fool out of him

No Phil - you did that all by yourself!:mad:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    snollup wrote: »
    Any idea when we can expect the UCI's statement? Was amazed to see no mention of LA USADA on their website.

High noon I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    Evans admits to meeting Ferrari for a 'capability test' 10 years ago.
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13122/Evans-admits-meeting-Ferrari-but-insists-no-doping-was-discussed.aspx

I think if I was to give an rider the benefit of the doubt it would be him.

Advertisement