Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

No
    What was the question he said wasn't fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    What would he say or ask Armstrong to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

No
    Sickening performance from PM/UCI. In a search for guilt and explanation they all point at the dead body. Claiming they were open about the LA donation from the outset was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

No
    Ok thats over, major anticlimax...jesus i wish i was in that room and had a microphone. The questions and counter questions were farcical. I honestly think Pat Kenny will do a better job tomorrow and thats saying sometihng..

When he started atacking Ashenden it was laughable. "Maybe he should get bakc in the lab and help us develop a test for blood doping!" wtf??

He also made it out that WADA and UCI and USADA are all pulling together in the fight against doping when the USADA report and interviews with Dick Pound state that this is clearly not the case....ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    I nearly fell off my chair laughing. So McQuaid says in one breath "no i was not naive, i was an amateur cyclist and refused to turn pro as i was aware i may at some point have to consider doping (this was back in the 70s)".....literally 2 mins previously said he had no reason to suspect Lance of doping???? :confused:

That whole interview is straight from the Sepp Blatter school of denial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

No
    With the UCI enforcing his ban and removing all his results since 1998, does that mean he has to return prize money?? There must be a lot of people who are getting ready to sue him at this stage, turn the tables on all the cases that he has brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    Sure he can just tell them to take it out of the money he gave them :P

I just can't see the UCI pushing him. If the right people wave a big enough cheque for a book deal under his nose, Armstrong could bring the whole house of cards tumbling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No
    Wasn't Landis sued by Armstrong? Does he have a case against Lance now?

Also, I hope Kimmage tears shreds out of McQuaid...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Nick777 ‏@TheNick777

@nyvelocity Phil Liggett on Aus TV right now. "drugs cant turn a donkey into a racehorse. they were all on drugs & Lance was still the best"

Fook off, Phil. Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

No
    That is amazing for the 'clean' person/people who now get the medals for winning the races over the past years..what a day that will be :D

• Advertisement

No
    Bluefoam wrote: »

to be honest whilst it's disgraceful and shameful UCI taking on Kimmage personally, i hope his defence fund skyrockets and he drags ever UK/Irish newspaper, sky news, etc to the trial with a shed load of witnesses and testimony and puts McQuaid and the UCI through the ringer. Make it a circus who cares.

No
    The Guardian sums it is as
    I think it's fair to say that the reaction of the cycling community, on Twitter at least, has been almost entirely negative about McQuaid's performance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No
    BTW. I have won the same amount of Tour De France's as Lance Armstrong!!! :pac:

No
    Flandria wrote: »
    Fook off, Phil. Please?

No, drugs can't turn a donkey into Frankel the wonder-horse. But take 100 different donkeys and apply the same drugs evenly and the % gap in talent between them and Frankel will decrease by various margins dependent on how their bodies, muscles, organs etc react to the doping products.

And if i have more time and money to spend on my donkeys "product" than yours.....

No
    Pedantic hypothetical - if Lance continues to have "Seven Time Winner of Tour de France" on his Twitter account, will the UCI have the stones to pursue that legally?

No
    David Walsh on the News at 1 hit the nail on the head, they've only done it to protect themselves. He's tearing everything McQuaid has said to pieces. Hopefully the tv interviews with him going on at the moment will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    David Walsh said: Will UCI sue Lance? He told teammates he could get positives covered up.
    Pity he wasn't there asking questions. Although Off the Ball tweeted the questions reminded them of the Monty Burns press conference where Lisa had to ask "Why are you so popular?"

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

No
    Pedantic hypothetical - if Lance continues to have "Seven Time Winner of Tour de France" on his Twitter account, will the UCI have the stones to pursue that legally?

Well Wikipedia now reads

"Lance Edward Armstrong (born Lance Edward Gunderson, September 18, 1971) is an American banned former professional road racing cyclist. He was world champion in 1993. After leaving cycling, Armstrong competed in marathon, triathlon and ironman competitions."

You would even have to question his world championship in 1993??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Oppenhe1mer

No
    Bluefoam wrote: »

.....for a start, he should go through that whole world like a dose of salts. There has yet been no obvious real policies publicly announced that show that this sport will not have a recurrence - it needs a massive cull to disincentivise would-be dopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    Spindle wrote: »

Well Wikipedia now reads

"Lance Edward Armstrong (born Lance Edward Gunderson, September 18, 1971) is an American banned former professional road racing cyclist. He was world champion in 1993. After leaving cycling, Armstrong competed in marathon, triathlon and ironman competitions."

You would even have to question his world championship in 1993??

You certainly would wonder based on Betsy Andreu's account, but she didn't give any indication of when he started using.

Why are his post 2005 results still listed on wikipedia? I thought he was stripped of everything post 98.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Well it took last man standing Oakley about 2.5 nanoseconds to jump ship...
    Based on UCI’s decision today and the overwhelming evidence that USADA presented, Oakley has severed its longstanding relationship with Lance Armstrong, effective immediately.

When Lance joined our family many years ago, he was a symbol of possibility. We are deeply saddened by the outcome, but look forward with hope to athletes and teams of the future who will rekindle that inspiration by racing clean, fair and honest.

We believe the LIVESTRONG Foundation has been a positive force in the lives of many affected by cancer and, at this time, Oakley will continue to support its noble goals.

I suppose he still has Rubiera, a disappointed Ligget, Sean Penn and Mork from Ork - no climbing domestiques though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

No
    Armstrong removed from 2009 podium on wikipedia also. Up to the 3rd step comes Mr Wiggins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Tour_de_France

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    morana wrote: »
    One of my fellow board members has told me that there is an article in SBP. Is it available online?

There was indeed. I should be able to post it up here later on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No
    Wonder will he sell off his bikes now on the cheap the rat!

No
    Mmmm, what sort of money making scheme is this guy up to ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056787400

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

No
    ThisRegard wrote: »

My guess is he's looking for gear to dress up as Lance for Halloween!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    ThisRegard wrote: »

Perhaps in the recycling or ragman trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

No
    paddyh117 wrote: »
    My guess is he's looking for gear to dress up as Lance for Halloween!

Aw man, a drugged up junkie Lance Armstrong... you may have just solved my costume crisis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    I wonder if there is any chance that Armstrong or Gunderson might replace Munson in the urban dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=munson
    Munson

Derived from the film "Kingpin" starring Woody Harrelson whose characters last name is Munson. Also mentioned in the Bloodhound Gang song "Pennsylvania" the word describes someone who has everything going for them and when they reach the pinnacle of their success they do something that causes them to lose it all. Usually whatever makes that person lose it all is by a bad decision they have made driven by greed.

Advertisement