Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No
    jesus christ
    did i hear right there on newstalk;

of all the people begging to interview him who actually might have relevant questions, Pat McQuaid has agreed to do an interview with the doyen of cycling journalism that is pat kenny.
    c'mon.
    i'd love to see walsh and kimmage double-teaming him

To be fair, Kenny is quite well versed in the topic and if he keeps his current stance I don't think McQuaid will be in for an easy ride, pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    nipper67 wrote: »
    if everyone is so clean who is getting his titles

Nobody, there are too many doubts about the people he beat.

Should I assume that you've only stumbled on this story tonight, or are you on a windup? Because the story has been covered in detail on every news outlet in the world in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

No
    Is there any footage of when Armstrong had his "chats" with Bassons and/or Simeoni? I've seen still photos of his chasing down and talking to Simeoni but none of he and Bassons. I've also seen footage of the '99 stage to L'Alpe d'Huez but the Bassons incident isn't mentioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

jesus christ

of all the people begging to interview him who actually might have relevant questions, Pat McQuaid has agreed to do an interview with the doyen of cycling journalism that is pat kenny.
    c'mon.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    The Many Stages of Armstrong Denial
    1. He never cheated. Heart of a moose, lungs of a hippo.
    2. He never tested positive.
    3. European Conspiracy.
    4. The USADA case is a witchhunt.
    5. It's all hearsay.
    6. Waste of taxpayers money. Why aren't they catching the real criminals?
    7. Ok, maybe he cheated but everyone else was cheating.
    8. It's too late now to change the results.
    9. Greg Lemond must have cheated too.

Is this a new approach we're seeing here? You jumped from stage 2 to stage 7/8 very quickly. Anywaysm, as we counter each argument you can pick from any of the others and we can counter them too.

Or you could just turn your computer off and save everyone a bit of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    The Many Stages of Armstrong Denial
    1. He never cheated. Heart of a moose, lungs of a hippo.
    2. He never tested positive.
    3. European Conspiracy.
    4. The USADA case is a witchhunt.
    5. It's all hearsay.
    6. Waste of taxpayers money. Why aren't they catching the real criminals?
    7. Ok, maybe he cheated but everyone else was cheating.
    8. It's too late now to change the results.
    9. Greg Lemond must have cheated too.

Is this a new approach we're seeing here? You jumped from stage 2 to stage 7/8 very quickly. Anywaysm, as we counter each argument you can pick from any of the others and we can counter them too.

Or you could just turn your computer off and save everyone a bit of hassle.

You've missed out on the "Big Government Washington Democrat Bureaucracy Justifying Their Washington Wages"

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No

If you want them, they are yours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

No
    From the YLYL thread..

403671_479412648769907_1581228879_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

No
    mod9maple wrote: »
    Is there any footage of when Armstrong had his "chats" with Bassons and/or Simeoni? I've seen still photos of his chasing down and talking to Simeoni but none of he and Bassons. I've also seen footage of the '99 stage to L'Alpe d'Huez but the Bassons incident isn't mentioned.

Simeoni footage here, was appeneded in the USADA report. http://www.ina.fr/sport/cyclisme/video/2617040001030/resume-de-la-18eme-etape-annemasse-lons-le-saunier.fr.html

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

jesus christ

c'mon.

I think this is better. Walsh and Kimmage (especially) have been on a mission against Armstrong and doping for many years, and can sometimes come across on the airwaves as slightly obsessed, albeit in pursuit of a good cause. Kenny is a serious news journalist and doesn't have any baggage to carry from either camp. His more dispassionate and reasoned approach might actually give PMcQ nowhere to hide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

No
    David Millar will be on BBC 5 Live shortly.

No
    Kenny is a serious news journalist and doesn't have any baggage to carry from either camp. His more dispassionate and reasoned approach might actually give PMcQ nowhere to hide.
    Yeah, much as I dislike Pat on TV, he's good on radio. He should be able to put other Pat on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robs1

It says on the rte website that WADA or Armstrong can still take the case to CAS. Im not sure if that is right though. can anyone shed a little light on that

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scrawnybawny

I think this is better. Walsh and Kimmage (especially) have been on a mission against Armstrong and doping for many years, and can sometimes come across on the airwaves as slightly obsessed, albeit in pursuit of a good cause. Kenny is a serious news journalist and doesn't have any baggage to carry from either camp. His more dispassionate and reasoned approach might actually give PMcQ nowhere to hide.

yeah i hear what you're saying but walsh and kimmage (thanx to their obsession with this subject) and knowledge of the minutiae of every facet of this story would be able to poke holes in any defence he submits
    - not sure if kenny, as an armchair fan like the rest of us, has the in-depth knowledge to really crucify him, or if he will let him off the hook a little too easy as he is prone to do(he's no Paxman;) -sometimes ya need to ask a question 12 times to get the answer!:D)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    Lance Armstrong: "The accusations make my blood boil .."

". . but luckily I've someone else's in my fridge." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Link to tonight's Kimmage interview - http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/paul-kimmage-on-tonights-off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

No
    Yeah, much as I dislike Pat on TV, he's good on radio.

Yes. Radio Norwich would be much the poorer without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

David Walsh on Off the Ball is now on the listen back page

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/offtheball/listen-back/

There is audio of McQuaid answering questions on the Armstrong "donation" at about 39.15 in part 2 for 22nd October and its followed by the Walsh interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Good point by Kimmage as to why UCI are not suing Armstrong for slander and not Kimmage as it is Armstrong who is saying UCI took bribes

I hope Kimmage gets another job but he needs to lighten up a little ...while he is very honest he needs to remember that journalism is about getting other people to talk and also getting articles published......I say this as I want him to be successful when this dies down

...I though it was telling at the UCI conference today when McQuiad said he did not want to become a pro in the 70's ( he was a good amateur) because he knew he would have to dope to succeed...Howeve he also contended that he knew nothing while at the UCI about Armstrong and others systematic doping in cycling......talking about shootign yourelf in the foot..
    The thing with McQuiad and people like him is they are (become) the system and will not change things unless made to do so kicking and screaming because the system suits their ends...I honestly don't think McQuaid is a corrupt man and he believes that he is doing good in cycling...However what he doesn't (chooses not to ) see is that he is ineffectual, inefficient, archacic and ridiculous ( kimmage court case a point in question). The UCI are not fit for purpose and McQuaid and Vein should step down and let people with some acumen sort out that failing organistion

I think individual coutries cycling bodies need to get together and force their hand .....otherwsie cycling is going to lose out big time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

No
    His twitter profile no longer lists 7 TDF Titles btw.
    Raising my 5 kids. Fighting Cancer. Swim, bike, run and golf whenever I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

No
    With all these lawsuits going to come I reckon he will be declaring bankruptcy pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

No
    I'd imagine their will be even more scandal coming down the tracks in relation to the nineties, eighties and so on. Their definitely people out there with some stories to tell.It was rife before Armstrong came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    alfalad wrote: »
    With all these lawsuits going to come I reckon he will be declaring bankruptcy pretty soon.

According to Forbes (and they are as reliable as it gets when guessing) Lance Armstrong has an estimated net worth of $125 million. So far he is being sued for $7 million by the insurers and the TdF want their $3.6 million ish back. That's 10% of his income gone. Beyond that i could see what, maybe another $5 million in prize money going back, $20 million from insurers, libel re-payouts, the big question then is the appetite of the sponsors to go after him for breach of contract or fraud. Trust me if Nike go after him their legal team will make mince meat of him. It all depends on the rumour mill - if it's true Nike paid money to Verbruggen then he's safe as Nike can't risk that getting dragged up.

Effectively if Lance has any dirt of anyone they are safe. So that rules out the UCI going after him for a penny :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    In reality, it is not USADA's hard work that will ultimately completely destroy the myth of Lance. As of right now he still has global support, albeit surely a fraction of his previous support. But let's say the hundreds of thousands left thinking he's a legend are in doubt, that will soon be blown away.

Reason being - if he is sued for fraud based on drug use, and settles those claims out of court, that's an outright implied admission of guilt. I'd love to see the insurers get their day in court with him because that would give Lance an opportunity to try defend himself. Hard to do that when guilty as sin. So as soon as he starts paying out, any sane person cannot be left in any doubt of complete guilt.

Of course he'll trot out something to do with focusing on defeating cancer and not wasting time on trials..... yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Winning the Tour de France not once, not twice, but 7 times takes a crapload of hard work and dedication. I don't care who you are...doping or not. And if the titles cannot be given to other cyclists because doping was so prevalent during that time among cyclists, didn't that level the playing field anyways?

An american friend of mine just posted this on facebook.
    some people....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    retalivity wrote: »
    An american friend of mine just posted this on facebook.
    some people....

you'll have to post Heart of a moose, lungs of a hippo. now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

No
    According to Forbes (and they are as reliable as it gets when guessing) Lance Armstrong has an estimated net worth of $125 million. So far he is being sued for $7 million by the insurers and the TdF want their $3.6 million ish back. That's 10% of his income gone. Beyond that i could see what, maybe another $5 million in prize money going back, $20 million from insurers, libel re-payouts, the big question then is the appetite of the sponsors to go after him for breach of contract or fraud. Trust me if Nike go after him their legal team will make mince meat of him. It all depends on the rumour mill - if it's true Nike paid money to Verbruggen then he's safe as Nike can't risk that getting dragged up.

Effectively if Lance has any dirt of anyone they are safe. So that rules out the UCI going after him for a penny :cool:

Ah i didn't know but didn't think he had near that much cash. Thought he would only have half it or less. He's pretty safe so.

No
    How does he sleep at night?

On a big pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    kerash wrote: »
    His twitter profile no longer lists 7 TDF Titles btw.

Tweets have dried up too. 1,2,3 a day and then on the 12th bang, not a peep.

I'm disappointed he's trying to disappear. I was expecting the impudent fecker to throw up some fireworks. Bit of an anti climax now.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

No way Nike sue him; they really, really don't want to get embroiled in this. Any hint of their name being involved in doping would cost them more than anything they'd get off LA. As for the UCI seeing him? That would open a fcuking warehouse of cans of worms. They wouldn't survive it.

Nope, Lance will still be much, much richer than if he'd never doped and remained a former world champion and a domestique with a strong TT.

Advertisement