Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

No
    Used Trek for sale :)Link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    There's a follow up show (to last week's broadcast) on BBC Radio 5 Live later on this evening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nvv55

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Oh and 'Hatfileds and McCoys' on channel5 tonight at 9pm....nothing to do with LA but a really good shooting/feuding western type of shin dig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

No
    They might as well strip those who were placed too, doping must be rife in cycling, total farce of a set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No
    cabb8ge wrote: »
    They might as well strip those who were placed too

No need, they won nothing
    doping must be rife in cycling

Yep, spot on
    total farce of a set up.

Absolutely ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    Uh oh..... Stand back forums and tweet machines. ....

Nicolas Roche on off the ball (newstalk 106) after 8 I clock tonight!!!

Hope he has the English-speaking side of his brain switched on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

No
    Thought the obree comments on his sacking were good, each rider has 8000 taken directly from their wages for 'medical back up' (read doping products)

I always thought it was generally accepted that if your in a hospital (or been treated by an ambulance crew) they can inject. i always understood the no needles policy was from a teams doctor's points of view, so no saline, no vitamins, no blood transfusions, no cortisone, no epo etc etc. anyway thats what i understood by a no needles policy
    That still doesnt stop them ingesting spiced up olive 'oil' tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No
    I see the Kimmage defense fund has just ticked over $80k.......

Nico on Newstalk106 NOW. http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_live/popup

EDIT: Oh GOd, that wasn't great was it...........accepting that he is not a thicko, Nico is clearly really conflicted on this whole topic. Perhaps he should stop accepting opportunities to speak on the matter....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    Ah Jazis Nico. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    What was said?

• Advertisement

No
    corny wrote: »
    What was said?

What more could Pat have done?
    The tests obviously worked because others tested positive.
    Armstrong never tested positive.
    Pat couldn't engage with Andreu or O'Reilly because they would be seen as fired employees out to get Lance.
    He introduced the biological passport.
    Some strange analogy about not during the president of a republic if the country is in crisis.
    Refused to give an answer on whether Pat should stay or go.
    Accused Kimmage of being bitter towards cycling (he called it a vendetta and swiftly retracted)
    Challenged Walsh and Kimmage to go after football with their "free time" now that Lance is gone, to show that it wasn't personal against Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

No
    Got himself flustered for most of it, Owen Mc kept right on him. I'd love to see the newstalk lads interview a few others that are closer to the uci.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Pat couldn't engage with Andreu or O'Reilly because they would be seen as fired employees out to get Lance.
    Some strange analogy about not during the president of a republic if the country is in crisis.
    Accused Kimmage of being bitter towards cycling (he called it a vendetta and swiftly retracted)
    Challenged Walsh and Kimmage to go after football with their "free time" now that Lance is gone, to show that it wasn't personal against Lance.
    Tbf I do agree that other sports should be challenged on doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No

Thats horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

No

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    Someone needs to take Nico aside and give him a good rehearsed grilling on the questions he's likely to face. Someone in such a tight position with all his connections should not be formulating arguments on the spot.

No
    Well it was a bit all over the show -

He started by being angry and having no sympathy with Armstrong WHATSOEVER...then went on after alot of hmmms and eemms and while he searched for words to say he felt STUPID especially when LA came back from retirement as he ( i think) didn't know what was going on and he was only one man and who would listen to him or indeed 2 or 3 guys if they raised concerns about Armstrong
    (to be fair he didn't seem to know or suspect LA was doping then)

Then there proceeded to be a convoluted discussion where he was angry at the cyclists who confessed because they hadn't done so at the time it was going on and Armstrong wasn't the only one involved ….And then things took a turn for the worse when he didn’t understand that lack of testing was not the issue as he said LA had not failed a test …However to be fair to him he did say that maybe something more was going on around the testing because others were tested positive at the time
    Next section was about Paul Kimmage and got a bit tense as he praised Kimmage journalist skills and getting to the bottom of the story but also suggested that Kimmage has a vendetta ( then took the word back and said Kimmage is bitter. He talked about how Kimage criticised him and has said that Nico was crap ….in reference to the Olympics…he then proceeded to dig himself a big hole saying he liked KImmages work and I think bore no malice against him but why was he not investigating other sports , ie Festina and Formula one and something about ‘150 going missing’ …(I went to the loo then)

Came back to hear a convoluted argument about UCI leadership
    Angry about UCI not doing more in the past but happy with work on biological passport and better testing..>Didn’t say McQuaid should resign but said they ALL should resign at one point and then went back to praising MCQuaid for Bio passport…..

That is the gist of it…..He is anti doping and upset for the sport I have no doubt but I don’t think he understands the issues in full…..nor the depth of anti doping feeling from supporters…Of course in fairness he is caught in a very difficult spot…His family, friends, colleagues, team, management and employers are implicated to some extent in this story…..
    As he would say himself ' He is not a bold guy' (????) but I think his interview sums up how convoluted a mess this issue is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    It was a bad interview alright. Not sure why he bothers. He makes a lot more sense in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

In fairness he is hardly going to say anything bad about the UCI, or say Pat should go considering Pats son is his agent. I'm surprised his agent has allowed him to do radio interviews at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

No
    happytramp wrote: »
    It was a bad interview alright. Not sure why he bothers. He makes a lot more sense in the papers.

Probably because he has someone to make what he's saying a bit more coherent!

• Advertisement

No

Absolutely, but it's a different discussion. Let cyclists worry about dope in cycling. If they're really concerned about other sports they can help those sports, after cycling is fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

No
    I dont think he was very convincing but I dont think we can underestimate how awkward it is in the cycling world to stick your head above the parapet. Also Roche pere et fils plus the Mcquaids plus Kimmage is a pretty involved situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

No
    what did happen about the other 150 names on the operation puerta list?

Bad interview alright, he's totally compromised by his employer, team mate and agent, would be professional suicide to say what we want to hear.

No
    what did happen about the other 150 names on the operation puerta list?

Too many Galacticos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

No
    Too many Galacticos?

Who carried out the bust? Police? All cyclists got busted but prominent soccer, F1, Tennis didnt?

I'm sure thee's a wiki page i could read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

No
    Thought it was a little unfair asking him if pat mc quaid should stay or go...A bit like asking robbie kean if John Delaney should stay or go...No current irish player would be expected to answer such a question.

No
    And the apologist for Armstrong are lining up .......maybe for the day he can appear on Oprah and admit the 'truth'

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/23/will-lance-armstrong-ever-fess-up-and-face-truth/

As for Nico .....Kimmage has been overly criticla of S Roche in past while McQuaids and Roches are linked....Maybe the true movie here is th story of Irish cycling from 1980 ....Kimmage, Roche ,McQuiad and Kelly and how their roads entwined and diverged,,alot of old blood here ,,, (with LeMOnd , Faignon and R Millar appearing as supporting cast)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

No
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

That's depressing reading. :(

I think 2013 will be the first year since 1985 I won't watch or care about pro cycling.

No
    mod9maple wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

That's depressing reading. :(

I think 2013 will be the first year since 1985 I won't watch or care about pro cycling.

I found a website recently with a really cool interface with a dossier of every doping scandal: searchable by year, by rider and by substance. I never bookmarked it and for the life of me I haven't found it since.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about please throw up a link.

• Advertisement

No
    mod9maple wrote: »

and it will probably the first time since 1985 that will be less doping in the pelethon

Advertisement