Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the UCI are to set up an independent commission to look at the handling of the LA affair. They will look at was to disqualify anybody with a positive from competing of running teams. I must say that I am delighted to hear this. Some good may come of all this in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    noddy69 wrote: »

I have to say that Greg Le Mondes comments have the UCI running scared about what he has on them. Shame on them for taking the case, yet dropping it now after statements of intent .....more red faces and more reason for new people at the helm.

I don't think that suspending the case means they are dropping it. Merely holding fire for a while, granted after the trigger had already been cocked. I think I'll term the actions of the uci, mcquaid, etc al as "Half-arsery". Seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No
    snollup wrote: »
    They will look at was to disqualify anybody with a positive from competing of running teams. I must say that I am delighted to hear this. Some good may come of all this in the end!
    It actually encourages omerta. Why come clean if it shuts you out of the sport? So we'd lose the likes of vaughters and keep the ones that deny and brazen it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    Lemond, Kimmage, Walsh and Bassons for the external committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Lemond, Kimmage, Walsh and Bassons for the external committee?

Talk about baggage. Their role is to provide evidence/information that they have. They cannot be part of the committee investigating as they are part of the investigation :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I don't think that suspending the case means they are dropping it. Merely holding fire for a while, granted after the trigger had already been cocked. I think I'll term the actions of the uci, mcquaid, etc al as "Half-arsery". Seems about right.
    I don't see any way they will resurrect it. They may threaten to if they don't like something Kimmage says now, but it would probably have to go beyond what he's already said for them to seriously consider resurrecting it. PK can get his message across without having to resort to that sort of thing, particularly given recent developments. Hence I think that to all intents and purposes we can assume that issue is history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

No
    Beasty wrote: »
    I don't see any way they will resurrect it. They may threaten to if they don't like something Kimmage says now, but it would probably have to go beyond what he's already said for them to seriously consider resurrecting it. PK can get his message across without having to resort to that sort of thing, particularly given recent developments. Hence I think that to all intents and purposes we can assume that issue is history

I think you're probably right. I can't see any court allowing a case to be suspended. I'm pretty sure they'll have to strike it out, or whatever the Swiss equivalent is. PK can probably take legal action to force a final decision if he wants to as well. He's entitled to not be left in limbo in any reasonably sane legal system. It would be an abuse of process.
    Additionally, the "suspending while independent investigation etc..." is harmful to the case in itself. Were they unsure about whether or not they had been defamed to the point where they needed a 3rd party to find out for them? Or was the independent investigation looking into corruption allegations? The uncertainty damages their case.
    In any event, there will probably be a heave within UCI in the meantime and it will be a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    ktz84 wrote: »

Talk about baggage. Their role is to provide evidence/information that they have. They cannot be part of the committee investigating as they are part of the investigation :D

But it'd be so much more fun than an old judge and some retired civil servants.

They could even have buzzers and revolving chairs to buzz in when they think someone is BSing.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

No
    hardCopy wrote: »
    But it'd be so much more fun than an old judge and some retired civil servants.

They could even have buzzers and revolving chairs to buzz in when they think someone is BSing.

Hey hands off that's my job though being Irish, and Pat will understand this too, I'm using a cattle prod :D:D Buzz Buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont know if this was posted before but i agree

http://www.cyclingnews.com/
    L’Equipe, Gazzetta, Het Nieuwsblad and Le Soir take a stand against doping

Several leading European newspapers have joined forces to call for major reforms in cycling in light of the USADA doping investigation and the damage caused by the consequences of blood doping in the last 20 years.

Called a ‘Manifesto for credible cycling’, L’Equipe, Gazzetta dello Sport, Het Nieuwsblad, Le Soir, with support from others news titles, are demanding major reform of the sport, especially in the powers and responsibility of the UCI.

The eight-point manifesto calls for several specific changes, including an independent investigation by WADA into what happened in cycling in the last 20 years, that WADA and national anti-doping agencies carry out anti-doping controls at major races, longer bans for doping, and a reform of the UCI WorldTour and more direct responsibility for the title sponsors of the teams.

oh and as someone said on another forum why stop at cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 KevinStephens

No
    Just reading David Walsh's twitter. Last time UCI had "independent inquiry" it was a complete whitewash.

Ive been reading all about the LA scandal this last month. Its an amazing story that just beggars belief.  Although with so much money at stake perhaps it is not a surprise. Cycling is clearly the most corrupt and greed ridden sport ever (Lets please not call it "professional" - Perhaps "Pro"Cycling with Pro a Play off Prostitutes). 

Yes worse than wrestling snooker , darts etc.  Cycling is worse because it pretends to be healthy out in the open road and mountain air. Darts etc does not pretend.  Just think of all the the stress and anxiety caused by the lies and deception to the good guys as well as the bad.  Of course we should ever forget the damage done by all this experimenting with different cocktails of drugs. The young athletes were the guinea pigs. And many died on the roads and in their sleep.

Most of the athletes were victims but some were part of the whole conspiracy. Armstrong was the ultimate manipulator with UCI, most sponsors , most media, most legal , medical and other authorities. And it wasn't just the damage to cycling he perpetrated. OMG how Armstrong used the charity also to amass a fortune and as a shield against his detractors. 

Ultimately however it does seem good has won out over bad having lost many battles. Thank God for Usada.  The fans and lovers of cycling need to find a way to channel their energies with some key people taking a leadership role. Perhaps LeMonde with Kimmage/ Walsh.

Armstrong however does deserve to be remembered for his contribution to cycling and world sport. CONSTRONG could be the new word for the leadership, organisation, resilience, strength of purpose needed now and in the future to counter the forces of evil that ultimately will amass in sport where so much money is at stake.  Armstrong being the ultimate cheat and con man and conspirator. " Con" a reminder too  of the forces needed to counter what will ultimately be a very powerful  group. Like the Nazis under Hitler these forces of evil will always have a very powerful figure (Armstrong). 

Yes Armstrong does deserve to be remembered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Went on the 'Off the Ball' facebook page to look at Late late show interview with S Roche and D Walsh from 2002...
    Anyway I was curious to see that the 'Off the ball' page has Maradona as its title photo ......well as for cheating and known drug use I don't think you could find a beter mascott in football .....

Strange message from that station.......have several programes dedicated to the ills of doping and cheating in cycling but advertise Maradona as our 'mascot' ......blinkered or what.........oh and he still has his world cup medals and accolades and place in history I believe ...unbelieveable bias

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

and they have a Maradona song as their closing theme.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

No
    and they have a Maradona song as their closing theme.

Maradona has a song ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

MPFG wrote: »
    Maradona has a song ?

It's a song about him not by him.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

No
    It's a song about him not by him.

Christ ! and I thought there were no more lows in music after the X Factor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BQQ

No
    Seweryn wrote: »

I lasted about 30 seconds.

When he said Lance never tested positive, I was out of there.
    I can't take it anymore.:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No
    Contradictory nonsense.

Irritating that people still look to him for an opinion, as if it holds weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

BQQ wrote: »
    I lasted about 30 seconds.

When he said Lance never tested positive, I was out of there.
    I can't take it anymore.:mad::(

Funny that, I got to almost exactly 30 too. Wonder what the boards record is.

Part of me feels sorry for Phil. I think he's a tiny bit intellectually challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Itziger wrote: »
    Part of me feels sorry for Phil. I think he's a tiny bit intellectually challenged.
    With the interviews? Yeah, I am sure he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Itziger wrote: »
    Funny that, I got to almost exactly 30 too. Wonder what the boards record is.

Saw his picture on the links beside the video and couldn't bring myself to press play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No
    I take back my previous sentiments about feeling sorry for ligget. He's a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sky said Yates's decision was not related to doping, despite the team's zero-tolerance approach to drugs.

Yates added: "I realise the timing of my retirement will lead to speculation but I can walk away with my head high knowing I have done nothing wrong."

hmmmmmm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20113671

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Yates added: "I realise the timing of my retirement will lead to speculation but I can walk away with my head high knowing I have done nothing wrong."

Sky statement: "Sean has been interviewed and there were no admissions or disclosures that would have required him to leave the team."

Those statements are nearly as offensive as the horse$hit Armstrong was coming out with, face saving PR nonsense! :mad:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Not sure if anyone has posted this list yet?

Dodgy Team Staff List

Glad to see they can't find anyone in Vacansoliel, and that the Rabo and Euskaltel lists are so short but F*** me I was surprised by the BMC list, but not the Katusha one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    Dodgy Team Staff List
    How many medical doctors could be struck off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

No
    MPFG wrote: »
    Went on the 'Off the Ball' facebook page to look at Late late show interview with S Roche and D Walsh from 2002...
    Anyway I was curious to see that the 'Off the ball' page has Maradona as its title photo ......well as for cheating and known drug use I don't think you could find a beter mascott in football .....

Strange message from that station.......have several programes dedicated to the ills of doping and cheating in cycling but advertise Maradona as our 'mascot' ......blinkered or what.........oh and he still has his world cup medals and accolades and place in history I believe ...unbelieveable bias

Recreational cocaine use and a hand ball against England hardly on a par with what Armstrong did.
    He was the most fouled player in the 80s. Why not mention the cheating that every team did to him when they kicked his legs and pulled his jersey.
    He was constantly fouled during that hand of god match.

• Advertisement

No
    Recreational cocaine use and a hand ball against England hardly on a par with what Armstrong did.

He was the most fouled player in the 80s. Why not mention the cheating that every team did to him when they kicked his legs and pulled his jersey.

He was constantly fouled during that hand of god match.

My point was about 'off the ball' and balanced coverage when it comes to drugs in sport...I thought Maradona was one of the best footballers ever but (mayeb because) he was excused alot becasue of his talent (hough he was not the only drug user in football)

As for his 'recreational' drug use and no cheating behaviour here is an extract from a BBC report on Maradonna and how he was banned from football during his carrer for drug use and references his shady criminal links

"Maradona played the best football of his career between joining Napoli and leading Argentina to World Cup triumph in 1986.

He was feted as a god by the tifosi as he inspired Napoli to two titles and Uefa Cup success, and the adoration blinded him as he became embroiled in vice and corruption scandals.

He became inextricably linked to Naples' own crime syndicates and it is said that in the seething southern Italian city, the Camorra and cocaine did for Maradona.

After leading Argentina to the World Cup in 1986, the time-bomb ticked away under him.

After a controversial Italia 90, a positive dope test in 1991 not only triggered a 15-month ban but hinted why at times during the World Cup, Maradona played not so much like a man possessed but like a man deranged.

He returned and arrested his slide by getting his act together to play in the 1994 World Cup in the USA.

Suspicions of flakiness were turned into confirmations of near lunacy by another positive test that saw him thrown out of the tournament, officially for use of ephedrine, probably just one ingredient in a witches' brew of drugs coursing through him."

Advertisement