Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No
    A lean mean cycling machine.......................on the right :pac:
    /some useless chubby cheat/liar/bully on the left :o

Filippo-Simoni.jpg

Seriously though, the 'attack' on Simeoni on this day was bullying on a Grand (no pun) scale, done on a world stage. I know the defamation charges were dropped in 2006 but in a world today where we have bullying and racism etc, I know if I was Simeoni I would take LA to the cleaners.
    LOL at the UCI fining him for walking across the finish line (as a tribute to the 9/11 victims) with his bike in his hands, @ the Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

No
    I suppose there's no hope of a Jerry Springer style special guest introduction mid way in the interview? :D

Something along the lines of 'You'll remember these faces from your past, lets welcome to the stage Floyd Landis and Paul Kimmage' (cue walk on with bouncers approaching the edges of the stage just in case it all kicks off). Would pay to see the look on Lances face at that moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No
    So a lot of humble pie going to have to be eaten by his fans when he admits doping on the Oprah show, and the 57 people who voted NO here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    McTigs wrote: »
    Oprah?!? I ****ing knew it. I said months ago there'd be an Oprah special.

So cue stoney faced interview where he claims he was a victim of era when doping was the norm and he only did it in order to be able to compete on a level that would enable him to raise awareness of cancer.
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    It will be interesting. If the "leaks" about him coming clean are true, there's no way he's going to dig himself into a bigger hole but going on Oprah and denying it further.
    furiousox wrote: »
    There'll be no humility that's for sure.
    godtabh wrote: »
    I wonder will he do a Tom Cruise on it?
    As soon as i saw the word "Oprah" my immediate reaction was "fcuk right off!!!!"

It's no surprise - this man made a career and fortune out of cheating, bullying and being borderline sociopathic - and the cynical moves continue. This interview will be a ratio of 10% confession:90% cancer is such a horrible disease and i spent my life fighting it (cue tears, a hug from Oprah).

Middle America will lap this stuff up. Livestrong will be protected (which is probably the main goal of this). The brand of Lance suffered an almost fatal wound but as Tiger Woods and Michael Vick have shown, if you keep your head down for a few years it all blows over and you're back in the big time.

It's enough to make you puke. Anyone want a side bet on the over/under times he uses the word "cancer" in 90 mins? lol. I'm going to go with at least 50. Can guarantee he would go nowhere near Oprah unless her show agreed to big up the cancer angle and the good works of the charity.

Puke. Puke. Puke.

*still be glued to it though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    Over the last two days - two people have voted that he is still great. Who are these people and what are they on?!? The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Weirdview

No
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Over the last two days - two people have voted that he is still great. Who are these people and what are they on?!? The mind boggles.

Lance and his Ma :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

No
    God its going to be hard to watch !

We should refer to him as:

"Disgraced Club Cyclist", that would put his knickers in a twist.

#cheat #bully #prick

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    What can I say really, most other people have it covered on here. A total joke of a man going on a soft talk show to confess(probably getting appearence money!!)

He had if figured out very early on, the court of public opinion is what really matters to Lance and as others have said, cancer will be mentioned 10 zillion times as always.

A complete and utter fraud and scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Kav0777 wrote: »
    They weren't, there were a number of athletes and baseball players incriminated. I just gave those two as an example.

OK the authoritues are on top of things :rolleyes: back to sleep for me

Well all you have done is moan about how unfair it is on Armstrong solely. If you had said that cycling as a sport is under greater scutiny by authorities than most other sports then I would agree but then that's not what you said, is it?

There have been literally loads of doping investigations down through the years but like most things, the big names will always get the most media attention making it seem like it is somehow unique or lop-sided. Justice is not doled out equally always but is far from limited to just Armstrong either.

Pro cycling has been at the forefront of anti-doping for years now but still lags behind the cheat. When outside organisations like the police have got involved, they have been more effective.

One thing that needs to happen in cycling is have anti-doping taken out of the hands on the governing body the UCI. How can the same body which promotes the sport also be responsible for controlling the sport. Huge conflict of interest, no way will the promoter want to kill the golden goose.

The only person moaning around here is you... exhibit 10/12 what ever please see above

• Advertisement

t-k-o I see your point and its a good one.
    It was a bit of a hunt on Lance, (as you say deservedly), and yes it would be interesting to see the authorities go after ALL sports with equal diligence. Maybe they dont have resources to go after everyone all the time.

Also its a societal thing, America really loves a winner, loves the winner story with an angle, thats where the money is, same ways as a loser is vilified and run out of society.
    I think Europe is a bit more balanced , well we used be anyways, if Lance had been French I dont think it would have all been the same circus. He woulnt have been rasied so high in society and had so far to fall once he was discredited.

I still like the Livestrong foundation , maybe its not pure research it funds but it does seem to look after survivors improving their lot, it was inspirational and yes I accept it had high overheads what charity doesnt seem to (but thats another topic) . Besides the money it collected was small in the grand scheme of cancer charities and at least it focused on male health issues .

Lances current plight where he cant race or compete seems like some form of punishment, thats got to really hurt him.

Exactly, also we should remember that a lot of charities have these ridiculous admin fees. If he never raised a penny for charity the same guys would come in here saying, ' the least he could do was raise some money' Love or hate the man he did raise a lot of funds.

I doubt they have the man power to really stamp out drugs but if you read up on testing even Olympic testing, its a bloody joke. Balco was mentioned in this thread google that guy and listen to his interviews. You will be shocked.

We should look at the bigger picture but as soon as you mention that you are branded an Armstrong fan boy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

No
    No
    2011abc, 3102derek, AlmostQuick, beardedmaster, bikerdude69, Blazer, BobMc, bombadil, bossa_nova, bradknowell, Cabaal, cannonballer, Chris Ryan, cityman 18, Clanket, couerdelion, CramCycle, Depp, douglastubbs, DrChristianTroy, drogtastic, Floralesque, forzacalcio, Gamb!t, gravid, Hungrycol, Inbox, Jefferson9115, JoeGil, Joekers, johnk123, Jonnykitedude, Laviski, Liam90, mattser, metalmessiah88, MYP82, nipper67, Pa Dee, peterk675, Planet X, Plucky Devil, quagmired, RidleyRider, robertxxx, Sane Max, Shakti, stephendoyle, stiffler123, strokeslover, supackofidiots, thebouldwhacker, Tinder, Unregistered., ViveLaVie, Wexfordboy89, ytareh
    57 5.18%

Whats going through these peoples heads who voted NO in the poll that he didn't dope. :confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Flandria wrote: »
    Nah, not until Oprah comes out of retirement and Dubya is on the sofa with him - then the tearful confession. It was all them dirty doping Yewrapeens fault, he only did it to keep up...

I win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

No
    Speaking Points for Lance:

I might be a tiny bit sorry.

But they were all at it.

I had cancer, you know.

Keep the hope I have given to millions of cancer sufferers alive.

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

No
    In fairness, it would take balls to come out and confess.

No
    Speaking Points for Lance:

I might be a tiny bit sorry.

But they were all at it.

I had cancer, you know.

Keep the hope I have given to millions of cancer sufferers alive.

etc.

...and we have a free Trek bike for everyone in the audience...please be my friends and help me destroy those euro-weenies and the american euro-weenie wannabes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

A new poll might be better suited and a bit of fun:

"I think he'll confess on Oprah?"
    "I think he will deny the allegations and convince America that he is an innocent sporting hero?"
    "I think he will deny the allegations and Oprah will never mention bullying/collusion once (+ American sporting hero blah)"

Or
    Will he cry during his interview with Oprah?
    - Yes
    - No

No
    lennymc wrote: »
    In fairness, it would take balls to come out and confess.

You saying that he's not up to the task then!?! ;)

No
    A new poll might be better suited and a bit of fun:

"I think he'll confess on Oprah?"
    "I think he will deny the allegations and convince America that he is an innocent sporting hero?"
    "I think he will deny the allegations and Oprah will never mention bullying/collusion once (+ American sporting hero blah)"

Or
    Will he cry during his interview with Oprah?
    - Yes
    - No

Or, how long until the cancer, witch hunt or I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks are mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    We should look at the bigger picture but as soon as you mention that you are branded an Armstrong fan boy :rolleyes:

What exactly is the bigger picture?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Synode wrote: »
    What exactly is the bigger picture?

It's a conspiracy, Lance was targeted because he wasn't a European insider. The French never accepted a Texan as being the greatest cyclist who ever lived so cheated and used every trick in the book to get his banned.
    Despite the fact that he was tested over 2000 times and never tested positive they would not let this lie.
    It's a fact that the French love cancer (they even let Jacques Anquetil die from it) and l'equipe actually paid Paul Kimmage and David Walsh to blow cigarette smoke in Lances face (bet you didn't know that).
    Lets be honest here Lance was only banned because he was too good for the sport.
    He is a always will be a hero of mine (up there with Charles Manson and Tony Blair).
    Viva la revolution....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    Rita1 wrote: »
    No
    2011abc, 3102derek, AlmostQuick, beardedmaster, bikerdude69, Blazer, BobMc, bombadil, bossa_nova, bradknowell, Cabaal, cannonballer, Chris Ryan, cityman 18, Clanket, couerdelion, CramCycle, Depp, douglastubbs, DrChristianTroy, drogtastic, Floralesque, forzacalcio, Gamb!t, gravid, Hungrycol, Inbox, Jefferson9115, JoeGil, Joekers, johnk123, Jonnykitedude, Laviski, Liam90, mattser, metalmessiah88, MYP82, nipper67, Pa Dee, peterk675, Planet X, Plucky Devil, quagmired, RidleyRider, robertxxx, Sane Max, Shakti, stephendoyle, stiffler123, strokeslover, supackofidiots, thebouldwhacker, Tinder, Unregistered., ViveLaVie, Wexfordboy89, ytareh
    57 5.18%

Whats going through these peoples heads who voted NO in the poll that he didn't dope. :confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

The poll was open before the USADA report definitively showed he had doped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

No
    a credible sports journalist should be doing this interview . this will be so stage managed with questions probably already in lance's lap. i hope if he does confess then he brings the whole thing down as he is not alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Interview will be streamed live. It'll be on at 2am Irish Time on Friday morning next from oprah.com .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

No
    Make sure you have a bucket near you when you are watching, so you can throw up in every bullsh!t they 're going to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    OH God...I can see it already ....loads of slow motion stuff of Lance standing on mountains/cycling up mountains as a methaphor for his overcoming cancer...

Also loads of flim with him and small children and cuddly animals

I bet he also cries , not blabbing but manly holding it all back, stiff upper lip with some moist eyes stuff

I have got the sick bag ready already !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No
    lol

BAK3z9YCEAEdnvR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Yes, but he's still great
    RobFowl wrote: »
    It's a conspiracy, Lance was targeted because he wasn't a European insider. The French never accepted a Texan as being the greatest cyclist who ever lived so cheated and used every trick in the book to get his banned.
    Despite the fact that he was tested over 2000 times and never tested positive they would not let this lie.......
    It's a fact that the French love cancer (they even let Jacques Anquetil die from it) and l'equipe actually paid Paul Kimmage and David Walsh to blow cigarette smoke in Lances face (bet you didn't know that).
    Lets be honest here Lance was only banned because he was too good for the sport.
    He is a always will be a hero of mine (up there with Charles Manson and Tony Blair).
    Viva la revolution....

somewhere within the flippancy theres a salient point ...
    If you watch TV5 coverage of the TDF its galling or even 'gualle'ing to see Virenque commentating.
    The French never went after him with the same verocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

No
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Despite the fact that he was tested over 2000 times and never tested positive they would not let this lie.
    Viva la revolution....

so by that we can expect bradley wiggins to be done cause the french hate the english?

• Advertisement
Advertisement