Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    somewhere within the flippancy theres a salient point ...
    If you watch TV5 coverage of the TDF its galling or even 'gualle'ing to see Virenque commentating.
    The French never went after him with the same verocity.

Virenque was always a strong climber, even from his 1st tour. One reason, i think, the French "went after" Lance is they saw through the cancer bullsh*t and post-cancer performances and thought "hold up he was a pretty crap climber before this?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

No
    If you watch TV5 coverage of the TDF its galling or even 'gualle'ing to see Virenque commentating.
    The French never went after him with the same verocity.

Virenque is a national joke in France.

A regular character on Les Guignols de l'info (French Spitting image).
    http://youtu.be/VMaa9Ui8JS4

His denial has become a national joke.
    à l'insu de mon plein gré ("without the knowledge of my own free will"), repeated by the puppet representing Richard Virenque is now attributed in jest to people who hypocritically deny having willfully committed attributed acts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Guignols_de_l%27info

2nd Most Hated person in France
    you should also know that in a public-opinion poll a few years ago, Virenque was named the second most disliked person in the country, behind only far-right politician Jean-Marie Le Pen.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/knapp/article/Taking-sides-in-cycling-s-doping-debate-3325319.php#ixzz2HUBluPIg

French police.
    July 23, 1998: Nine riders and three officials from Festina are taken into police custody. Famously Christophe Bassons was not taken into custody and he was the only member of the team not implicated in the doping........Festina riders (Richard Virenque, Pascal Hervé, Didier Rous, Alex Zülle, Armin Meier and Laurent Dufaux) are questioned in Lyon and held in police custody.

I think the French did a pretty good job on Virenque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Gosh Petethedrummer ....you ought to be a commentator yourself...you seem to have all salient information at your finger tips in both English and French

Or maybe your a just a Virenque groupie :-)

No
    MPFG wrote: »
    Gosh Petethedrummer ....you ought to be a commentator yourself...you seem to have all salient information at your finger tips in both English and French

Or maybe your a just a Virenque groupie :-)

Je fait le Googling bien.

No
    The French recently suspended Christophe Bassons on a technicality. Their commitment to anti-doping doesn't really need to be questioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    The French recently suspended Christophe Bassons on a technicality. Their commitment to anti-doping doesn't really need to be questioned.

good point and quite a sad irony for Bassons though, in truth, we all know he's clean :) rules be rules though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

No
    enhanced-buzz-20642-1357701678-0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

No
    I hope no one buys his bullsh*t excuses and reasons for why it was acceptable and for the greater good of the fight against cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    You just know he'll walk in to a standing ovation, smile modestly at his Mom in the audience (she didn't raise a quitter you know) before having a chat with Oprah...ON HIS TERMS!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

it is going to be sickening...

60 minutes with Tygart looks the far better (and more realistic) interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    The only person moaning around here is you... exhibit 10/12 what ever please see above

Mate you have nothing, you don't even seem to have a point anymore. Why exactly are you even here posting in a forum about a sport you admit you know very little about or an athlete you seem to know little about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Oprah?!!? FFS!! Get all the American housewives behind you with a neusitating soppy interview which will end up with you and Oprah crying in each others arms and everything will be ok again. Nice one lance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    Mate you have nothing, you don't even seem to have a point anymore. Why exactly are you even here posting in a forum about a sport you admit you know very little about or an athlete you seem to know little about.

"Damn you Rock Em Sock Em Robots! Why can't we all just get along?"

tumblr_lpzyf7xgjG1r1b3q4o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

No, I have a point that you fail to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    No, I have a point that you fail to understand.

Which is what? (as I asked earlier)

Synode wrote: »
    What exactly is the bigger picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

what are yiss all getting so hot and bothered about ffs i bet all you condemers will watch it.
    go out on your bikes :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

10 Questions Oprah should ask Armstrong…

1 You have yet to respond in detail to the case made against you by the US Anti-Doping Agency which provides overwhelming evidence that you headed a doping programme "more extensive than any previously revealed in professional sports history … a fraudulent course of conduct that extended over a decade". Usada's case against you includes sworn statements from more than two dozen witnesses including 15 professional cyclists and a dozen former members of your teams. How can you deny their case?

2 Past experience of doping confessions suggests that you will claim you had no alternative but to dope because that was the culture of the sport at the time and it was the only way to succeed. Has it ever occurred to you that in 1999, when you won your first Tour de France, the sport was in a state of transition, with a body of riders and teams clearly and publicly committed to change, and that your doping, and that of other US Postal riders in that Tour and those that followed, contributed strongly to the sport being sucked back into the morass of doping? More importantly, did it cross your mind at the time?

3 In the light of the overwhelming evidence of doping against you in the 1999 Tour, have you any words for Christophe Bassons, whom you intimidated during that race over his anti-doping stance? Similarly, have you any thoughts for Filippo Simeoni, whom you bullied out of a possible 2004 stage win after he testified against your trainer Michele Ferrari?

4 What would you say now if you were alone in a room with any of the whistleblowers – Emma O'Reilly, Greg LeMond, Betsy Andreu, David Walsh – who you threatened when they attempted to expose you?

5 Usada's reasoned decision states that you had "ultimate control ... over the doping culture of [the US Postal Service] team ..." that you "required that [your team-mates] adhered to the doping program outlined for them". Was this indeed the case?

6 It is known that you madetwo substantial payments to the International Cycling Union during your racing career. Why did you make those payments?

7 Could you detail any meetings you may have had at the UCI to discuss doping matters and recall what was said at those meetings?

8 In 2009, you returned to the Tour de France after four years' retirement. Usada claims there is evidence to suggest you used blood doping during that race. Can you confirm or deny that? Either way, why did you refuse your consent for the ICU to supply Usada with its laboratory and collection information from that race for analysis and will you now grant that permission?

9 A cycling fan, who believed in you for many years, asked how people like him could possibly now have faith in any of their heroes. What would you say to him and those in the cancer community who believed in you for so long?

10 In July this year, all the living riders who have raced in the Tour de France in its 100 editions will be in Paris for the finish. Will you take your place among them or do you feel your place is elsewhere?

10 Questions Oprah probably will ask Armstrong…

1 Have the past few months been crazy, emotional, frightening and full of lots of scandalous – truly scandalous – lies that sadly you can't talk about right now for legal reasons?

2 Would you like to see an uplifting montage of slow-motion footage of you looking triumphant and sad, soundtracked by Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes?

3 If you feel the need to cry, or even make your voice wobble a little like you're going to cry but instead fight back those tears and take a breath and keep right on with what you were saying because dammit you're better than this and you owe it to not just the world but to yourself to tell this story then do you think, Lance, that you might be best just giving in to it?

4 Do you by any chance have a folksy anecdote about something your father said to you when you were a very small boy, perhaps while sitting on a porch or playing catch in the back yard? You do?

5 Would you like to talk for quite a long time about what Being An American means to you?

6 Is there a sense that perhaps a lot of people have always been jealous of your success? That maybe there was and remains a lot of jealousy out there, a lot of European jealousy, a British press-led European conspiracy of jealousy? Do you think, Lance, that might be a possibility? I'm just putting it out there.

7 Looking back, how badly did the death of your dog when you were seven years old affect you? Looking at this picture of your dog can you feel the tears welling up, the anger coming out? Can you feel the tears for your dog? Would you like to reach out and pat the dog? Pat the dog, Lance. Cry. Cry and pat the dog.

8 Do you by any chance have plans for a nationwide tour of schools speaking about the dangers of caring too much, falling foul of the temptations of others, being at the wrong end of a vast sporting witch-hunt and basically not learning to love yourself enough?

9 How about a new book too? Possibly something in big type with lots of pictures called Lance: My Longest Journey or Lance: A New Hope or perhaps just Lance: I Suffered For Your Sins?

10 Shall we hug now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    Some questions that need to be asked:

Considering that you survived cancer and got a second chance at life. How can you justify pumping yourself full of illegal drugs that may have been further damaging to your health?

You were not a Tour contender before you had cancer but still had a pretty successful career, World Champion etc. When you made your comeback, you must have known that to win the Tour it was necessary to avail of the major drug program. Why did you feel the need to be a Tour contender and thus a major doper when there were no expectations on you to be a Tour contender?

How can you justify lying bare-faced to people who you claimed to represent i.e. cancer community? Why would you choose to blatantly lie to such people who have suffered so much?

When you were designing your plan to win the Tour in 99, the training, the doping etc was using cancer as a shield against doping questions part of the strategy planning. Had you figured on the good PR the cancer angle would bring and the position it would put in?

Did you put your own ego and financial gains before the main purpose of livestrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Synode wrote: »
    Which is what? (as I asked earlier)

Ancient Aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

No
    [At least credit the guardian
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2...ance-armstrong]

Agreed. Copy and paste without even crediting is at best rude and at worst illegal.

No
    Q: Since you've been banned do you still go running shirtless with Matthew Mcconaughey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    Ah here, ffs, another bleedin yes but he is still great vote cast today!

Oh! The humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

No
    Was thinking today, if it was still on the air, how cool would be "Lance Armstrong - This is your Life"

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Weirdview

No
    There's an awful lot of articles out there about Lance/Oprah but I think this is by far the best I've come across. Nail on head.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2013/01/09/not-a-comfy-couch/.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    retalivity wrote: »
    it is going to be sickening...

60 minutes with Tygart looks the far better (and more realistic) interview

Just saw the preview, that definitely looks good.
    Here's the clip:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57562781/armstrong-allegedly-offered-large-donation-to-doping-agency/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I hope he drags the UCI down with him... now that he is busted. ..and especially if he admits it... the donation he made to UCI to purchase anti doping equipment is beyond ridiculous. We are expected to believe that a doper gave money to potentially help catch himself as opposed the bung / bribe it actually was ? What will he try say... "it was a cry for help..." ... mothertrucker please. ..

Lance did what he did and although I am no fan, he brought a lot of focus to our sport at grass roots levels for better or for worse.... its those corrupt empty suits at the UCI that I reserve the brunt of my contempt for... Lance is toast. . With luck he will sing like a canary. ... either way the problem wont go away with lance. . He needs to take out his collaborators at UCI to redeem himself at least somewhat.. in my eyes anyway. Not holding my breath here but I have my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Cienciano wrote: »

Yes, full of all the usual American emotion and theatrics!! Wish I could see the whole thing now. One thing though, is it just me or does the way it's edited make it seem like Armstrong personally sent Tygart a death threat? That may be a bit misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    happytramp wrote: »
    Yes, full of all the usual American emotion and theatrics!! Wish I could see the whole thing now. One thing though, is it just me or does the way it's edited make it seem like Armstrong personally sent Tygart a death threat? That may be a bit misleading.

Hopefully it was actually was him! Never knew Armstrong tried to give a $250,000 donation to USADA a few years ago.

Advertisement