Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Lads/Lasses lets get back to the important issues....

Will i tape the interview or watch it live (not going to pretend I'm going to avoid it).

And much more importantly is it one for Leffe, Hoogardeen, duval, Red wine or else go native and have a Boston pale, Brooklyn lager or sell my soul and watch it with a Bud.....

It's 2am Irish time, right? Perfect if I can't sleep tonight! \o/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    buffalo wrote: »

Every time he says cancer down a shot....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

No

Do you know if it will be on tv or will I have to stream it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Do you know if it will it be on tv or will I have to stream it?

Don't watch it on an illegal stream, Oprah and discovery channell won't be able to make lots of money from the interview then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No

Will i tape the interview or watch it live (not going to pretend I'm going to avoid it).

And much more importantly is it one for Leffe, Hoogardeen, duval, Red wine or else go native and have a Boston pale, Brooklyn lager or sell my soul and watch it with a Bud.....

If you're not on your turbo, drowned in sweat, gnashing your teeth, pounding out the watts, then you're doing it wrong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

ill informed? He was a cheat and he abused his power, what am I missing. I've said this on numerous occasions.

If someone doesn't like an opinion they usually revert to the good old troll comment.

I didn't answer the last question because I clearly stated my point of view, no point rising to a loaded question like that.

You have a narrow minded view on drugs in sport, it almost sounds personal. The hate for Lance is strong and that IMO prevents you from having an adult conversation on the matter.

How do I have narrow minded view on drugs on sport exactly? I take a dim view on an individual who would actively use a illness that affects millions of people around the world as part of his strategic plan to cheat his way to victory. That sets him apart from all other dopers.

You have singularly failed to explain or clarify your point and clearly I am not the only person who feels that way. Maybe someone else can try to clarify your point for you. You offer nothing in the way of examples or comparisons to flesh out your theory whatever it may be. When asked what your big picture idea you refuse to answer. You don't even try to discredit any examples I give. Then you claim I cannot debate like an adult. Really, well in a debate people usually put forward their facts and figures to back up their opinion but you refuse to do that.

Why is Lance being treated unfairly?? In comparison to who and please don't say 'other athletes'. What other athletes? His contemporaries Ullrich? Basso? Valverde? Virenque? who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

No
    Let's open a book. I'm betting Oprah will introduce him similar to this: Welcome to the show a supreme athlete, a man who came back from his own cancer to dominate his sport and is now doing more in that fight against cancer than any other living human through his now legendary livesteong foundation, proud devoted father and alround great guy, Mr Lance Armstrong everybody.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    Don't watch it on an illegal stream, Oprah and discovery channell won't be able to make lots of money from the interview then.....

http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/Lance-Armstrong-on-Oprahs-Next-Chapter
    Armstrong will address the alleged doping scandal, years of accusations of cheating, and charges of lying about the use of performance-enhancing drugs throughout his storied cycling career.

The special 90-minute episode of Oprah's Next Chapter will air Thursday, January 17, from 9 to 10:30 p.m. ET/PT on OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. In addition, the interview will be simultaneously streamed LIVE worldwide on Oprah.com.
    he U.S. Anti-Doping Agency released an extensive report accusing the renowned cyclist of doping throughout his career.

It'll be "fair and balanced"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    Holy Crap - just read this bit of it...

"A truth that went overlooked in the debate over those samples is that in at least two samples, 100 percent of the protein isoforms in Armstrong’s electrophoresis gels were consistent with synthetic EPO. That means that he had taken so much EPO for long enough that his body basically shut down its own production; it didn’t even register on the test."
    That was my reaction when I saw it too.

I'd doubt Lances' supporters would be able to explain it other than question the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

25/1 odds on his book being included in her book club, that's too good for me to resist putting a 10er on! Worst case scenario I'll be down a 10er and will have wasted 90 minutes of my life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Let's be realistic. They have their questions and answers written out already. This will be a performance piece. I'm not staying up until 2am, I'm going to bed early to go cycling early the next day. According to my plans, I'll be doing a strong ride 100k ride with sprint intervals. I'm not talking about this bloke any longer. Whatever will happen, will happen. The future of my sport will be even better than anything before. Let's keep thinking happy thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

It's not on until next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DeadMan1

No

just in case ... it's next Thursday, not tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

How do I have narrow minded view on drugs on sport exactly? I take a dim view on an individual who would actively use a illness that affects millions of people around the world as part of his strategic plan to cheat his way to victory. That sets him apart from all other dopers.

You have singularly failed to explain or clarify your point and clearly I am not the only person who feels that way. Maybe someone else can try to clarify your point for you. You offer nothing in the way of examples or comparisons to flesh out your theory whatever it may be. When asked what your big picture idea you refuse to answer. You don't even try to discredit any examples I give. Then you claim I cannot debate like an adult. Really, well in a debate people usually put forward their facts and figures to back up their opinion but you refuse to do that.

Why is Lance being treated unfairly?? In comparison to who and please don't say 'other athletes'. What other athletes? His contemporaries Ullrich? Basso? Valverde? Virenque? who.

And round and round we go.. Did I say he was treated unfairly, please feel free to search the thread and correct me if Im wrong

I believe I said that the authorities put an extra effort in to catch the guy and I would appreciate that extra effort throughout sport.

and i'll quote YOU

' I see nothing wrong with a little extra effort being applied to catch such an individual. Why should the fact the had cancer mean that he should get away it.'

What are you even talking about now. You have an major chip on your shoulder with Armstrong, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone know if this is being shown on Sky/TV here at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    Apparently it's being filmed in his ranch in Austin, not in front of a studio audience.
    (Sorry, carry on D Maguire & TKO)

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

No

Dude - Michelob Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    Obviously I agree.

This post is common sense. We all know what the guy did, no need for another history lesson. However to completely dismiss the possibly that he raised the profile of the sport etc, is ridiculous and /or to accuse people of defending him for stating such a view, well Im at a loss

The problem I have with that is he did it under a false pretense and then went on to destroy the careers of some of those that questioned him while using Livestrong and Cancer awareness as his rationale. Hark back to the Tour of California press conference with Kimmage, that is a bully of epic proportions at work, one very nasty person. He did that in public, can you imagine what he was like behind closed doors???

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Weirdview

No
    Say what you like about Lance but he knows how to fold a tee shirt.

http://tiny.cc/oztpqw

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    @Fr D Maugire and T-K-O

Leave it there please - no more challenging each other's position. I'm not banning either of you from the thread at this time, but equally I'm not going to allow you to keep batting this backwards and forward between the pair of you

In addition, there must be no more accusations of trolling, no telling anyone to "get over it" etc. If either of you have a problem with any post report it, do not respond in-thread. If you require any further clarification, PM me - again there is to be no discussion of modding matters or mod instructions in-thread

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No

To really do it justice you should watch it while hooked up to an intravenous drip that is hanging on a picture hook that used to play host to a picture of you and your fans...

No
    LeftBlank wrote: »
    It's not on until next week...

ah balls. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    Anyone have a link for the 60min with travis tygart last night? Can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    happytramp wrote: »
    Anyone have a link for the 60min with travis tygart last night? Can't find it anywhere.

Came on to post the exact same thing. It might take a few more days to appear somewhere

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Came on to post the exact same thing. It might take a few more days to appear somewhere
    It's not on until tonight (or more accurately the early hours of tomorrow morning our time)

Last night's clip was just a taster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

No
    It gets "better", UCI ordered WADA to explain the way the EPO test worked to Armstrong,

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Tygart-WADA-Helped-Armstrong-Beat-EPO-Tests.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

G2ECE wrote: »
    The problem I have with that is he did it under a false pretense and then went on to destroy the careers of some of those that questioned him while using Livestrong and Cancer awareness as his rationale. Hark back to the Tour of California press conference with Kimmage, that is a bully of epic proportions at work, one very nasty person. He did that in public, can you imagine what he was like behind closed doors???

Just a few things, I dont really care that he raised money or potentially raised the profile of the sport under false pretences. It still happened.

Him slapping Kimmage down at the press conference, that was wrong but TBH Kimmage in the role of a reporter, he's a big boy he can take it.

I could only imagine what happened behind closed doors and especially to the likes of the irish masseuse. Those stories IMO are far worse

No
    ah balls. Thanks for the heads-up!

Dammit, I knew I'd still be up. Curse you Lance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

No
    Think the interview has been aired but can't find out on any news sites if he has confessed!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

No
    alfalad wrote: »
    Think the interview has been aired but can't find out on any news sites if he has confessed!:mad:
    I thought the interview with Lance is next thursday. The Travis Tygart interview aired last night I believe.

Advertisement