Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

No
    h2005 wrote: »
    I thought the interview with Lance is next thursday. The Travis Tygart interview aired last night I believe.

ah, thanks for that. there was me getting excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Every time he says cancer down a shot....

...but have 999 on speed-dial and a pre-recorded "i need my stomach pumped urgently" ready to roll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    Just a few things, I dont really care that he raised money or potentially raised the profile of the sport under false pretences. It still happened.

This is where your wrong IMO. Its like saying the munich kidnappings upped the profile of the olympics therefore...........its ok (your logic)

No
    This is where your wrong IMO. Its like saying the munich kidnappings upped the profile of the olympics therefore...........its ok (your logic)

whilst i do agree with your sentiment, i think a fairer comarison is Ben Johnsons DQ in the 100 metres. It's not fair to make that stretch that the poster would be fine with Munich (nobody would be) - if he is fine with Ben Johnsons cheating helping the Olympics be what it is today then that's consistent logic on his part.

Flawed consistency is still consistent.

• Advertisement

No
    Also it usually takes a series of unfortunate events in life and sports to make far-reaching positive changes.

Sports:

Hillsborough and Bradford stadium disasters - Leads to all-seater stadia in UK, leads to Premier League in early 90s. Which is a powerhouse product.

Death of Ayrton Senna and Ratzenberger in F1. Sweeping changes on safety and car design. F1 a top product/sport.

In athletics it's arguable that without the famous cheating of Ben J in the 100 meter flagship event, the Olympics wouldn't be the draw it is today globally. It's a stretch - but people wouldn't tune in to mass-cheating and fraud and they cleaned up their act in the wake of such high profile scandals.

Life:

Could pick any number of events from world wars, civil wars, natural disasters etc that led to sweeping positive changes. In the end.

Point is, sometimes a worthwhile by-product can come out of the wreckage of events. It doesn't retrospectively make the events "ok", it's just sad that it needed those events to end up with the positive by-product.

Ultimately cycling may benefit from this fiasco. In itself that's good but will never change what Lance (in particular but not alone) did was horrendous.

No
    Thanks Lance for all the good you have done for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

No
    Dunno if it's appropriate, but if anyone want's to try their hand and possibly make a few quid on this, Paddy Power has a few specials on for Oprah's Interview: link :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No
    route66 wrote: »
    Dunno if it's appropriate, but if anyone want's to try their hand and possibly make a few quid on this, Paddy Power has a few specials on for Oprah's Interview: link :eek:

Framed jerseys have to be visible during interview, doubt if that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    And there will be an interviw with Betsy Andreu and analysis following Lance's Orprah show appearance on this site -

http://www.tourchats.com/upcoming/

Its for those of you who won't be able to sleep after getting further worked up over LA !!!!

• Advertisement

No
    MPFG wrote: »
    And there will be an interviw with Betsy Andreu and analysis following Lance's Orprah show appearance on this site -

Some other network should gather Betsy, Frankie, Greg, Floyd, T Tygart, Ashenden, Tyler etc. in a room and do a post analysis of the show. Like those Apprentice after show things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Some other network should gather Betsy, Frankie, Greg, Floyd, T Tygart, Ashenden, Tyler etc. in a room and do a post analysis of the show. Like those Apprentice after show things.

TBH they should just ignore it. It's like a circus sideshow, I'll watch it but will feel "unclean" for having done so......

No
    RobFowl wrote: »
    TBH they should just ignore it. It's like a circus sideshow, I'll watch it but will feel "unclean" for having done so......

I don't think I'll be able to watch it. Maybe some edited highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

No

Only thing that appeals there is the outright denial @ 16/5.

Why would he abandon the strategy that's served him so well up to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah Winfrey will be shown in UK on Discovery Channel (Sky 520, Virgin 212), Friday Jan 18 at 2am & 8pm

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

No
    whilst i do agree with your sentiment, i think a fairer comarison is Ben Johnsons DQ in the 100 metres. It's not fair to make that stretch that the poster would be fine with Munich (nobody would be) - if he is fine with Ben Johnsons cheating helping the Olympics be what it is today then that's consistent logic on his part.

Flawed consistency is still consistent.

Its an interesting point, I dont condone it, but for me I cant take away the feeling I had when I saw Ben Johnson win it was just the most amazing experience, up there with watching Alberto Junatorena in the 800m (now somebody will tell me he was on drugs too..!). I cant change that feeling.

I still think the worst thing about Armstrong, and for that matter a large part of the peloton, is initimidation and the acceptance of intimidation in respect of athletes riding clean or trying to speak up.

I remember reading Armstrong's 'it not about the bike' and being completely inspired by the story (I wasnt a cyclist at the time, just watched the TDF on channel 4). He obviously has a driven makeup and a tough upbringing. But what followed thereafter isnt the story that most thought it was.

I think he had a problem with admission of guilt partly because of the whole pissing in the soup mentality, some kind of emotional deficiency, the whole tough guy mentality, and the fact that so many other tdf winners were drugged to the eyeballs. Think Anquetil who said that the public would be mad or crooks to think they could ride the tdf the way they did without drugs. Some took morphine in the legs for pain (injected on the move!), amphetamines to wake up, and sleeping tablets to do the opposite. Some even took amphetamines to cope with the travelling between races (driving) and then refused to take drugs tests on the grounds they shouldnt be banned for 'speeding' in a car (its not a joke !).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Zorba wrote: »
    Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah Winfrey will be shown in UK on Discovery Channel (Sky 520, Virgin 212), Friday Jan 18 at 2am & 8pm

Enjoy

It doesn't look like Discovery is showing it here from what I can see...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    To make an apology to Paul Kimmage during the interview 5/1

I'd love to see him do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

No
    I think i've said this before, to me theres a few thing LA has done that i hate:

• no one can win a pro race without joe bloggs wondering "what he's on"
    • he used cancer as a tool cover his doping an INSULT to cancer sufferers past and present
    • he's ruined peoples lives, careers, ideoligies, ..,
    • he made a personal fortune from the above

A cheating, power hungry(lets not forget he was going to run for senator) money grabbing, attention whore is how id describe him.

I hate myself for, at the start, believing he could be clean, "sure maybe lactic acid really did get produce much later in the effort for LA" - grrrr still remember saying it at a family dinner many moons ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    I wonder if Oprah will ask:
    Why did you stop taking HGH after you were diagnosed with cancer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

No
    I wonder what show McQuaid and Verbruggen will choose when its all actually out there:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    Hermy wrote: »
    Maybe Lance is gonna tell us his cancer's come back...
    I'm sorry if the above quoted comment appeared flippant. Like many here I've seen the utter devastation as loved ones succumb to terminal cancer and as Lusk Doyle said, it's not even remotely funny.
    But as we're all still a bit unsure of the motive behind his upcoming interview with Oprah perhaps Lance is no longer in remission. Given the immense stress he's been under these past months as the truth inevitably surfaced from the sea of lies he had concocted since his comeback in '99 this is not unlikely.
    So I'm wondering, if this is the case, is he finally going to come clean about his dirty past, or will he play one last massive sympathy card and hope that in our haste to feel sorry for him that we forget about his despicable carry-on over the past thirteen years.
    It's hard to feel much sympathy for a man who for the most part has been the author of his own downfall but I hope I'm wrong.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Ease up their cowboy no one got kidnapped or shot dead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    David O'Doherty's current FB status:
    Oprah: Was there ever tension between you and Buzz about who got to go out first?
    Lance: No. I'm the disgraced cyclist.
    Oprah: (looks down at notes) Oh shiiiiiiiit

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    Ease up their cowboy no one got kidnapped or shot dead

I think people conveniently forget that 8 young men did act actually die. These were 8 innocent young men, not bad people. 8 guys who had reached their dream of becoming a pro cyclist. young guys with loving families... you can say that they made choices and suffered as a result, but there are people in the sport who are responsible for the loss of those guys... the question has to be asked if Lance Armstrong is culpable in those deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I think people conveniently forget that 8 young men did act actually die. These were 8 innocent young men, not bad people. 8 guys who had reached their dream of becoming a pro cyclist. young guys with loving families... you can say that they made choices and suffered as a result, but there are people in the sport who are responsible for the loss of those guys... the question has to be asked if Lance Armstrong is culpable in those deaths.

This is typical of modern society. If a sportsmen decides to take drugs and the consequences turn out to be fatal, Well I'm afraid that is on their head.

We are all responsible for our own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RyanAndrew

No
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sports/cycling/lance-armstrong-will-confess-drug-use-to-oprah-winfrey-sources-say.html?hp

On TV Show, Armstrong Is Planning to Confess His Drug Use to Winfrey

By JULIET MACUR

Published: January 12, 2013

After nearly 15 years of vehement denials, Lance Armstrong will confess that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his cycling career when he is interviewed by Oprah Winfrey, two people with knowledge of the situation said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No
    Perhaps we should move the discussion on now.

Assuming he confesses, should he get what he wants? -His lifetime competition ban lifted?

I'd be inclined toward a "no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    RyanAndrew wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sports/cycling/lance-armstrong-will-confess-drug-use-to-oprah-winfrey-sources-say.html?hp

On TV Show, Armstrong Is Planning to Confess His Drug Use to Winfrey

By JULIET MACUR

Published: January 12, 2013

After nearly 15 years of vehement denials, Lance Armstrong will confess that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his cycling career when he is interviewed by Oprah Winfrey, two people with knowledge of the situation said.

What? When was this announced? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

There was an interesting documentary on ESPN Classic recently called something like "The world according to Lance" where they talk to people about his cycling and drug use etc. I think it's been repeated a few times over the last week or two, so it may be on again.

Advertisement