Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    I feel the thing to remember about this interview/confession is that it will be on LA's terms.
    He'll only give as much information as he wants or to or is legally advised to.
    I'm not expecting any shame, apology or humility.
    Even after all that's come out he's still much too arrogant for that.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DeadMan1

No
    Was wondering, is Lance not open to a charge of perjury already?
    Some media opinion seems to suggest he may not give a full confession because it opens him up to a charge of perjury, but has he not already been proven to have lied under oath?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

DeadMan1 wrote: »
    Was wondering, is Lance not open to a charge of perjury already?
    Some media opinion seems to suggest he may not give a full confession because it opens him up to a charge of perjury, but has he not already been proven to have lied under oath?

I would imagine his lawyers have deals in place.

Lance is not going into this blind thats for sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think the best we'll get is something along the lines of:

Oprah: "so Lance, did you take banned substances during your career?"

Lance: "I beat a lot a guys who were on a lot of banned substances, you can take what you want from that, I'm not going to deny it, I'm tired of running but remember, I never failed any of the 600 or more drug tests I took. Those people who've been following this case in an intelligent way know who the bad guys are"

Oprah swiftly moves onto cancer awareness or other subject she's been told to.

To be fair to Hermy's comment earlier, I don't think it's beyond him to come out with a comment or announcement like that, he has a huge ego and wants the people onside. I don't think anyone really wants him to have cancer.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

furiousox wrote: »
    I feel the thing to remember about this interview/confession is that it will be on LA's terms.
    He'll only give as much information as he wants or to or is legally advised to.
    I'm not expecting any shame, apology or humility.
    Even after all that's come out he's still much too arrogant for that.

I can only see very vague, candyflossed admissions of guilt. It wont be a tell all for a number of reasons, not least his lack of remorse or arrogance. if he starts naming names and throwing accusations around he'll leave himself open lawsuits and a legal minefield to ensure he'll be in and out of court for the next 20 years, if he wont be already.

Its a fine mess he's in, not that ive much sympathy but the only thing he can do here realistically to have any chance of saving himself is play the emotions game and be political i.e admit guilt and sorrow but not say very much at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    G-Money wrote: »
    There was an interesting documentary on ESPN Classic recently called something like "The world according to Lance" where they talk to people about his cycling and drug use etc. I think it's been repeated a few times over the last week or two, so it may be on again.

Watching it now. Basically like a documentary version of Walshe's new book.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/10/11/3608613.htm

SCA deposition footage is very interesting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

fat bloke wrote: »
    Perhaps we should move the discussion on now.

Assuming he confesses, should he get what he wants? -His lifetime competition ban lifted?

I'd be inclined toward a "no".

The Guardian were reporting that he has been meeting with USADA officials to trash out a "path to redemption". Maybe this is part of it.

It will be interesting to see what the pace and format of the interview will be. Will Oprah come out with guns blazing and attack Lance from the start or will it be a slow build up like ''lance, tell me about your life growing up'' . I hope Oprah will have her homework done and have the ''balls' to really grill Lance. I wouldnt say she is a shrinking violet herself but I dont think she will have enough for someone as brazen and manipulative as Armstrong is. I fear he will have her eating out of his hand. Its going to be compelling viewing in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

No
    WumBuster wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what the pace and format of the interview will be. Will Oprah come out with guns blazing and attack Lance from the start or will it be a slow build up like ''lance, tell me about your life growing up'' . I hope Oprah will have her homework done and have the ''balls' to really grill Lance. I wouldnt say she is a shrinking violet herself but I dont think she will have enough for someone as brazen and manipulative as Armstrong is. I fear he will have her eating out of his hand. Its going to be compelling viewing in any case.

With this much hype and time to prep she'll defo know the full story. Her researchers will make sure she's not caught out. What she chooses to do with the info however, God only knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

No
    Here sre a few questions david Walsh wants oprah to ask

https://twitter.com/lioneljbirnie/status/290156457746395137/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Yes, but he's still great
    Oprah " So Lance, did you ever think of stopping taking the drugs? I smoked crack but I quit..."

Lance "“Once I was thinkin’ about quitting, when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer – all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I’m sure you had a good reason to quit. So what were you dying of?”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    I hope the reports are true and he does admit doping. Fairly sure it'll be qualified by "everyone else was doing it", "it was a level playing field" "the other riders know who won those races" which is b*llocks IMO.
    That said the truth tends to come out in the end and for him to even partially acknowlege it is a move in the right direction.
    His actions have to be viewed in perspective though. He was a cheat and a bully who almost ruined our sport (certainly ruined the TDF during in his pomp) but thats it. He's got his punishment and I'm very uncomfortable with the desire to humiliate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

He's got his punishment and I'm very uncomfortable with the desire to humiliate him.[/QUOTE]

Although witchhunts can be entertaining too.

I feel a need for some sort of punishment, contrition doubt the latter and who knows what will happen with the former

He's not only a cheater in sport but also in his personal life. He's ripped off countless business associates, friends, his current and previous marriages are just sham marriages as he has always had multiple mistresses and girlfriends. And not to mention lying to cancer victims for personal gain.A classic case of a sociopath. I almost feel bad for him at this stage as he is obviously got a mental disorder and can't help himself. It's just pathetic. shame on the cycling hierarchy for allowing this situation to develop and to enable him.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

No
    I think the best we'll get is something along the lines of:

Oprah: "so Lance, did you take banned substances during your career?"

Lance: "I beat a lot a guys who were on a lot of banned substances, you can take what you want from that, I'm not going to deny it, I'm tired of running but remember, I never failed any of the 600 or more drug tests I took. Those people who've been following this case in an intelligent way know who the bad guys are"

Oprah swiftly moves onto cancer awareness or other subject she's been told to.

To be fair to Hermy's comment earlier, I don't think it's beyond him to come out with a comment or announcement like that, he has a huge ego and wants the people onside. I don't think anyone really wants him to have cancer.

I think this will be incredibly close to what Armstrong actually says.

The only question will be if Oprah is well enough informed or willing to follow up and ask if it was normal for riders to make donations to the governing body or have private meetings with the doping labs.

The close relationship between the UCI and Armstrong should definitely be highlighted and queried, also the story of Armstrong advising the UCI to watch some of his rivals whilst he was blatantly doping himself. After all Armstrong and the UCI were talking about buying the Tour as partners at one point.

She also needs to be smart enough to know that if Armstrong pulls out the "10 billion passed tests" line, she should be able to point to his rivals like Zulle, Pantani, Ullrich, Virenque, Basso, Valverde, Rasmussen, his team-mates and highlight the fact that they never failed any tests either but all served suspensions for doping and had their reputations damaged badly as a result.

The more you look at it though, the more obvious it becomes that Oprah will simply not be up the job and this will be a pure PR exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

No
    Im no so sure i want him to confess ... I dont quite know why but i'll be dissapointed if he does a 'mea culpa' and the world moves on.

A lot of the people he 'affected' should feel even more agrieved imo if the confesion to oprah is how it plays out.

Id much rather he got dragged through the courts for the foreseable and shown up for the manipulative bullying fraud he is! I want the lies to be unravled in court and each lie to bring another legal charge, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    This is typical of modern society. If a sportsmen decides to take drugs and the consequences turn out to be fatal, Well I'm afraid that is on their head.

We are all responsible for our own actions.

On the same note, we should leave heroin dealers alone too... If kids want to take it they should know better...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    On the same note, we should leave heroin dealers alone too... If kids want to take it they should know better...

Sportsmen. Kids. Not the same, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No
    Lumen wrote: »

Obviously... all professional cyclists find drug culture by themselves and know what to take and how to take it... They also have prior knowledge of injecting themselves through the veins in their penis... Honestly, there is no one coaxing them into it, its all just them and their own personal greed... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Lumen wrote: »

of course not!! Simply -

Sportsmen - are paid to dope
    Kids - pay to dope

If only it was that simple!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Obviously... all professional cyclists find drug culture by themselves and know what to take and how to take it... They also have prior knowledge of injecting themselves through the veins in their penis... Honestly, there is no one coaxing them into it, its all just them and their own personal greed... :rolleyes:

You implied some sort of moral equivalence between helping a professional sportsperson to cheat and pushing heroin on children.

Really, that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    WumBuster wrote: »
    He's not only a cheater in sport but also in his personal life....His current and previous marriages are just sham marriages as he has always had multiple mistresses and girlfriends..

Have you proof of this?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    It's a bummer it's gonna be recorded at Armstrong's house. I think that after availing of his hospitality Oprah isn't going to give him a hiding. It's a platform for Armstrong to get his redemption. I think these days you can be redeemed for anything, except maybe kiddy fiddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

No
    el tel wrote: »
    It's a bummer it's gonna be recorded at Armstrong's house. I think that after availing of his hospitality Oprah isn't going to give him a hiding. It's a platform for Armstrong to get his redemption. I think these days you can be redeemed for anything, except maybe kiddy fiddling.

If we were going to get a hard hitting interview it wouldn't be with Oprah it would be with a panel of cycling experts. We want to see him break down amidst a series of hard hitting questions that showcase the extent of what he did over the course of his career. Oprah won't be capable of giving that kind of interview because, presumably, she isnt a closet fan of the sport looking for Lance to be fully unmasked. Instead it's one American icon sitting down with another. I hope that I'm wrong and that Oprah is ultra professional and interviews him with the intention of getting to the bottom of the story but I wouldn't be holding my breath on it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

el tel wrote: »

3/1 on being interviewed in a room with the framed yellow jerseys looks more interesting now. Just dawmned on me, it was probably always on for his gaff, hence the wording, toolbox, sharp etc...

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Don't understand why anybody is even bothered about this interview. Do you really expect LA to come out with a grovelling apology and hand himself top the mercy of the world?

Not a chance. I think he will confess (well not really confess since he has already been found out!) but as was guessed by Captain Havoc, I don't think he'll say he did, and if he does he will warp it into something like he only did it to ensure he got a high enough profile to ensure he fight cancer. He will admit to mistakes, but the overall good he did for millions of cancer suffers was worth it.

So what does that achieve? Nothing. We already know about LA and what he did. What we really need to ensure that cycling actually benefits from this whole sorry situation is to know how he got away with it for so long, how he got the UCI etc to bend the rules.

Yet again, the world waits for LA, he had his chance to talk to Tygart and didn't take it. Best thing to do is to avoid it. It's like a spolit child, ignore them and they will go away. (or at least shut up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone know if this will be shown on TV here in Ireland? Live or delayed even? I don't see it listed on Discovery on Thursday night/Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

No
    I won't be watching this for fear of destroying a perfectly good TV after pelting the remote at it. But i am interested in the legal implications if he does indeed admit to using illegal performance enhancers. Doesn't matter how detailed it is; an admission is still an admission.

Any legal experts out there care to speculate? Is he likely to face criminal charges? He was under oath at the deposition in 2005 and clearly denied ever using performance enhancers... Surely that should come back to bite him in the ass? Could Nowicky relaunch the FDA case? Walsh, Kimmage and about a dozen others must be waiting to launch legal proceedings after their careers were significantly damaged by him. SCA are owed something like $15 million in bonuses.

I hate to say it, but maintaining the denial might be a better option for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

No
    leftism wrote: »
    Any legal experts out there care to speculate? Is he likely to face criminal charges? He was under oath at the deposition in 2005 and clearly denied ever using performance enhancers... Surely that should come back to bite him in the ass?

I read somewhere that the 2005 perjury is statute barred. Not sure if it's true but it makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

No
    I think the Guardian mentioned 5 years statute of limitations on perjury. In any case, I'm sure Lance won't say a single word with lots of highly paid lawyers analyzing every single word beforehand.

Advertisement