Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Mine i'm contracted to is downsizing its staff

Options
  • 24-08-2012 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

A mine I will not name, which is only going into production now as its an extension to an old mine, which is owned by one of the big international mining companies out in Australia is downsizing its staff by 30% over the next few weeks... Got word today on site. It is confirmed to be part of cost cutting plans.

Seems like this is coming more common across the board? Worried!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/mining-energy/australias-resources-boom-is-over-says-martin-ferguson-after-bhp-shelves-mine-expansion/story-e6frg9df-1226456301996

Gillard and the gang are gone into damage control over Ferguson's comment.
    I like the line that the boom is "moderating" and the other one "it's just different"
    Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Ha, I got laid of today 2 days into a 4:1.

I was only on a short term contract this was my last swing anyway but still came 4 weeks to early.

Feel sorry for anyone on a 457 visa who may of been laid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sorry to hear that guys.

Lets hope this leads to better things?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Zambia wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that guys.

Lets hope this leads to better things?

I'm not unemployed! Don't expect to be any time soon as what I do is unique and required by each mine to continue operating. I don't just work on the one mine. I work on currently 4 mines at the moment. Unless they can get it done cheaper I expect I'll be ok for a while! I hope...

Sorry to hear that aswell though rightyabe... What area do you work in?

I didn't believe there was anything major going on with mining out here but once it hit the doorstep I realized now that maybe the future may not be so bright...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm not unemployed! Don't expect to be any time soon as what I do is unique and required by each mine to continue operating. I don't just work on the one mine. I work on currently 4 mines at the moment. Unless they can get it done cheaper I expect I'll be ok for a while! I hope...

Sorry to hear that aswell though rightyabe... What area do you work in?

I didn't believe there was anything major going on with mining out here but once it hit the doorstep I realized now that maybe the future may not be so bright...

I worked as a Concreter Finisher, was only a 6 month contract, so i'm not bothered really. I'm a Quantity Surveyor by trade so I'll turn my attention to this now, after all Australia has a skills shortage, not a skilled labour shortage as there is no trade of Concreter in WA so concrete workers are called skilled labourers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

It was always going to happen. Just a bit faster than I had expected to be honest. It has always been like this in mining in WA, a knock of confidence and things shut down overnight.

Like the GFC, everything basically shut overnight in late November, people were laid off with no idea what was happening and by late January when confidence was restored nearly everyone was back in work.

My husband's company have been letting people go for a couple of months now, global economising. My friend started a new job this week to discover no-one has been paid for a few weeks there.

Look at Olympic Dam this week. All that talk of how big the project was and how many workers they were going to employ and now people are losing their jobs. This is one of the reasons I dislike stories about worker shortages. WA only really needs the crazy number of workers predicted if all these projects go ahead and realistically every project won't make it.

Hopefully things won't get too bad. I am sure it is just a blip for now. But I have no idea how these companies are going to handle cut backs with people on 457s.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Hmmmm
    I just got a job today and I will be heading to a mine site............ somewhere on thursday:confused: just not sure exactly where yet.

Advertisement