Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G Shock dive watch

• 24-08-2012 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a G Shock as a dive computer? I've been looking on Amazon, but they can be a bit sparing with details...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

OP I suggest buying a proper Dive Computer that will calculate;

Current Depth
    Dive Time
    NDL at current Depth
    Safety Stop Timer
    Calculation of Deco Stops
    Ascent Rate(with Alarm)
    Repetitive Dive Penalty as per Algorithm
    Etc Etc

I suspect that the G Shock does not have all of the above, most of Divers I have dived with over the years have either Suunto or Alladin brands (there are plenty more).

A good Dive Watch is only a back-up if the Computer fails-your training agency will have a procedure for this eventuality.

Hope this helps.

Benny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Benny-c wrote: »
    OP I suggest buying a proper Dive Computer that will calculate;

Current Depth
    Dive Time
    NDL at current Depth
    Safety Stop Timer
    Calculation of Deco Stops
    Ascent Rate(with Alarm)
    Repetitive Dive Penalty as per Algorithm
    Etc Etc

I suspect that the G Shock does not have all of the above, most of Divers I have dived with over the years have either Suunto or Alladin brands (there are plenty more).

A good Dive Watch is a back-up if the Computer fails-your training agency will have a procedure for this eventuality.

Hope this helps.

Benny
    I was under the impression that some gshock models had these functions. I am interested in a rugged watch that can be used as a dive computer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

First of all, a watch is not a dive computer.
    It may be a dive timer, but not a computer.

To be used as a dive timer, a watch should have the following 2 features as an absolute minimum:
    1. Rated to 200m, even though you're not going anywhere near that far.
    2. A timing system that, if it fails, will fail safe. That is, while it might show you a longer-than-actual elapsed time, it cannot show you a shorter-than-actual elapsed time. The easiest way to get that feature is to buy a watch with a unidirectional rotating bezel.

A Casio G Shock (unless they've brought out new, diving-specific models that I'm unaware of) is NOT a suitable watch to be used as a dive timer. It is not safe to use an ordinary Start/Stop stopwatch feature as a dive timer. One might accidentally hit the button and stop the watch, or, even worse, stop it and start it again accidentally 10 minutes later. If that happens, your timer is showing you a potentially bend-inducing 10 minute shorter-than-actual dive time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I was under the impression that some gshock models had these functions. I am interested in a rugged watch that can be used as a dive computer...

If a GShock has those features, then great, but I don't think any do.

If you want a dive computer that can be worn as a watch, then you probably can't go wrong with a Suunto D9.

If you want a watch that will double up as a dive timer (as a backup for your computer or on its own for 'diving on tables'), then you probably won't find better than a Citizen Promaster or Aqualand, but any watch with the undirectional bezel and 200m rating will do the job.

ps there's one on the gear for sale thread today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Which gshock are you looking at? Frogman ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement