Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill Cullen finally loses Renault franchise...

• 24-08-2012 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/end-of-road-for-bill-cullens-lucrative-renault-tieup-3208975.html

BILL CULLEN'S lucrative association with car manufacturer Renault has ended after the last of his garages lost the right to sell the cars.
    The former star of reality television show 'The Apprentice' made his fortune as Ireland's main Renault dealer over the past 24 years.
    However, from the end of this month, he will lose his exclusive rights to sell Renault-brand cars and parts from his massive Dublin car showrooms at Airside in Swords and Liffey Valley.
    The motor industry veteran was forced to close down his dealerships in Ennis and Galway earlier this summer, with the loss of 29 jobs.
    However, Mr Cullen last night insisted it was not the end for his car-selling business.
    "I'm pleased to announce that my dealerships are still firmly in the motor business, in my 56th year of giving the Irish motorist the best sales and service experience in the industry," he said.
    Mr Cullen (70) has been back on the sales room floor this year, helping to shift cars in a tough market that has seen the sale of new cars slump.
    At one stage, Mr Cullen presided over a national car sales and distribution business, but has been forced to downsize as the financial crisis swept through the sector.
    The 'Penny Apples' author held exclusive rights to import Renault cars into Ireland from 1986 until 2007 when the French company took back control of the distribution end of the business.
    Close
    That still left him with a chain of four Renault garages until this summer when his company was forced to close the dealerships in Ennis and Galway, reducing the chain to two.
    Citygate Motors on the Tuam Road in Galway, and Citygate Motors on the Galway Road in Ennis, Co Clare, closed their doors last month.
    There are 60 staff members employed in the Dublin operations.
    A spokesman for Mr Cullen said last night that the agreement with Renault had been terminated by "mutual agreement".
    Renault was looking for new garages to carry the brand, while Mr Cullen was on the trail of new brands to sign up for his garages, he said.
    Earlier this month, Mr Cullen's main company, known as the Glencullen Group, told staff it was no longer going to pay into the company's defined benefits pension scheme.
    Company accounts show that Glencullen suffered a loss of €1.4m in 2010, a big improvement on the previous year when pre-tax losses hit €10.4m.
    A luxury hotel in Kerry owned by Mr Cullen and partner Jackie Lavin is also being hit with losses.
    The glamorous couple have pumped almost €10m into their five-star Muckross Park Hotel to support the loss-making business, according to company accounts.
    The entrepreneur has been involved with 'The Apprentice' for four series, but TV3 announced earlier this year that it was axing the show.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Have been hearing rumours to this effect for a while. Renault better open some new showrooms soon as it is becoming less and less convenient to buy and service their cars.

Wonder what marques Bill will be getting into bed with? If he has any sense it will be Korean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Have been hearing rumours to this effect for a while. Renault better open some new showrooms soon as it is becoming less and less convenient to buy and service their cars.

Wonder what marques Bill will be getting into bed with? If he has any sense it will be Korean.

Heard rumours circulating last week, didn't want to start a thread until it had been confirmed. Apparently he is intending to run with Hyundai/Kia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

He didn't even drive one himself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I might buy a Renault now.

Great move by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Where does that leave Renault for dealers in Dublin area then?

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Where does that leave Renault for dealers in Dublin area then?

Renault Ireland the distributor), now own the dealership on the Belgard Road, the strategy seems to be, to divide the dealership network into A or B type dealerships, an A type dealership being a type of "Super-dealership" and a B type dealer being something along the lines of a "Sub-Dealership".

So basically instead of having a big distributor type organisation that manages stock, the ordering/stocking activities that the distributor would have previously overseen, will now get done by the A type "Super-Dealerships", as far as I understand it anyway from a source within Renault,and a B-Type dealership will have to go through an A-Type Dealership to get new vehicle stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe I'm taking it up wrong but the first few lines of that kind of make out like Cullen had the sole rights to Renaukt dealerships here for the last couple of decades, which he didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If Cullen has any sense he'll try go with Dacia.

Since their cars are based on Renault engines it shouldn't take much to get his servicing teams up to speed on them and, to me at least, their small engine / low spec range looks almost custom built for the average Irish motorist.

Sleepy wrote: »

Since their cars are based on Renault engines it shouldn't take much to get his servicing teams up to speed on them and, to me at least, their small engine / low spec range looks almost custom built for the average Irish motorist.

Well he's back to square one there because Renault have the rights to sell Dacia in Ireland so he'd have to go through Renault to sell new Dacia here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

as it is becoming less and less convenient to buy and service their cars.

Absolutely. I've already moved from Blanchardstown Renault when that closed to Airside, the only other Renault place now is Tallaght isn't it ?

I wonder will they continue with the servicing and will Renault the provide back up for this, s/w updates etc as I always found the guys in Airside quite good and helpful.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »

Also, these "main dealers" are losing money in servicing and maintenance because they are pricing themselves completely out of the market. The day where people can afford to be fussy about who services or does work on their car is long gone. On some big jobs, (say a clutch replacement), you can save hundreds of Euro between a main dealer job and a good independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe I'm taking it up wrong but the first few lines of that kind of make out like Cullen had the sole rights to Renaukt dealerships here for the last couple of decades, which he didnt.

He did have the distribution rights though. Which he lost a few years back. Renault took direct ownership of distribution back. Distribution was his for decades run from their central offices in Kylemore.

Cullen is moving into Kia and Huyndai from next month.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Absolutely. I've already moved from Blanchardstown Renault when that closed to Airside, the only other Renault place now is Tallaght isn't it ?

When they go it'll only be Tallaght but I cant imagine them only having one in Dublin, especially with it not being any way central.

Its a bit further out but Joe Norris is out near Navan.

listermint wrote: »
    He did have the distribution rights though. Which he lost a few years back. Renault took direct ownership of distribution back. Distribution was his for decades run from their central offices in Kylemore.

Yeah , I knew that but it was mostly this line.

"he will lose his exclusive rights to sell Renault-brand cars and parts from his massive Dublin car showrooms at Airside in Swords and Liffey Valley"

Its just the word exclusive in there kind of changes it a bit. Without that it works fine. Possibly a mistake but could be that they were a bit misinformed. Wouldnt be the first time a journalist didnt do their research 100% :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair kia and Hyundai are no the up. I know what id rather be selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Thought it was odd when I went by Liffey Valley last Saturday that they basically had **** all stock.

I think it's a shame really. I know people bash Renaults a fair bit on here, but my old man has been buying them from new for over 10 years now without issue from Liffey Valley. Bill himself personally did the pitch with my old man when he was buying his Fluence. A decent guy in person (don't rate him on TV) and to be fair to him, he had in depth product knowledge and had an answer for everything we asked.

We've always found them very decent sorts in the garage. I hope they do well with Hyundai/Kia. Would be a shame to see more jobs go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I wonder how 2 Kia dealerships in Airside Motor Park, within a literal stones throw, is going to work? Michael Barrable already has Kia??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Kia and Hyandai is a good move long term, but will still undersell Renault for some time, last year Renault shifted around 8000 cars, Kia and Hyundai were a small fraction of that.

Renault also have some promising new product on the way, the new Clio looks great. Personally I can't see him keeping those glass palaces going with the Koreans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Maybe the Dacia brand might suit him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Wouldnt I great satisfaction in telling him he is FIRED...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Must admit , I wondered last night , went past Liffey Valley and the lot was empty , I was wondering if it was going like the Peugeot dealer 2 doors down.

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bill.... You're fired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

furtzy wrote: »
    Maybe the Dacia brand might suit him :D

Arent Dacia Renault ? As in the x4 brand new Dacia Dusters that are sitting outside Belgard Renault Centre right now.....

joke fail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

listermint wrote: »
    Arent Dacia Renault ? As in the x4 brand new Dacia Dusters that are sitting outside Belgard Renault Centre right now.....

joke fail...

And for not for the first time in the thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Although its been on the cards for a while, it still is kinda sad to hear of things like this.

I've heard a few other rumours through the grapevine, but I won't say anything more, cos I've no links to anything.

Kia and Hyandai is a good move long term, but will still undersell Renault for some time, last year Renault shifted around 8000 cars, Kia and Hyundai were a small fraction of that.

Renault also have some promising new product on the way, the new Clio looks great. Personally I can't see him keeping those glass palaces going with the Koreans.

Volume doesn't pay the bills though. He'd have had more margin in his penny apples than on a megane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

After them stupid ads they commissioned I'm glad they took it outta his hands.

"A Renault Megane for how much?" in the thick dub accent.

**** OFF!

Keith186 wrote: »

**** OFF!

I love that ad!

Those ads are nothing to do with doctor bill though

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

1st HB Dennis, now Bill Cullen? Airside isn't a good place for car dealerships then heh heh

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »

**** OFF!

For those ads alone he should be shot with balls of his own shyte, they were ridiclous and highly annoying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Airsoft lady

Renault Ireland are opening its service department very soon in Tallagh, been renault ireland it is due to have a high standard.

Its sad so many people were left in the dark in the company considering the rumours that were about for quiet some time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

One word for Bill Cullen............

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jdmauto

I believe that HB Dennis will be reopening early September under new management.

For those ads alone he should be shot with balls of his own shyte, they were ridiclous and highly annoying...

:rolleyes:
    colm_mcm wrote: »

Those ads are nothing to do with doctor bill though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

jdmauto wrote: »
    I believe that HB Dennis will be reopening early September under new management.

Would a clue to the new management be in your user name !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I would like to take this opportunity of wishing Bill Cullen well in the future.
    Over the years Bill Cullen has created employment for many people, through good times and bad. His enthusiasm for the Motor trade has served the Irish car buying public well over the years.
    Very good wishes Bill

.... might be better to pop off an email to one of his garages marked for his attention, doubt he's reading here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... might be better to pop off an email to one of his garages marked for his attention, doubt he's reading here :)

Good thinking Rover James,
    However you never know who may be reading this?
    Best regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Bill's 70, there's a new generation of Bills coming along and anyway, it's a good time to be downsizing. Can't see a big rush to buy new cars in the next few years, can't see much money to be made in the new car trade for the next 5 or 6 years, so maybe Bill sees the writing on the wall and is circling the wagons. Anyway, he has his fingers in enough pies, I doubt he will starve. Sorry for the staff, but that's the risk when you take a job, it's just that, a job, and it might end whenever. The years of big glass palaces are going to become harder and harder to sustain without a direct link to a manufacturer anyway, so the pain will be great for a few years till things settle down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 adrianfl1

Hey, correct me if I'm wrong but after Bill cullen lost the exclusive renault Ireland deal did he not have 5 dealerships not 4[as it said in the article]?The one they left out being the one he had in Portlaoise.
    If so, what exactly was the deal he made when giving the Portlaoise garage to some one else.? Was he able to sell it?Does anyone in the motor trade know how that deal works?

Again, I could be totally wrong!!!.[think there was an article on it on boards though]

adrianfl1 wrote: »
    Hey, correct me if I'm wrong but after Bill cullen lost the exclusive renault Ireland deal did he not have 5 dealerships not 4[as it said in the article]?The one they left out being the one he had in Portlaoise.
    If so, what exactly was the deal he made when giving the Portlaoise garage to some one else.? Was he able to sell it?Does anyone in the motor trade know how that deal works?

Again, I could be totally wrong!!!.[think there was an article on it on boards though]

He sold the Portlaoise dealership to another Renault dealer in the Leinster area about a year ago... Galway & Clare outlets closed last month, leaving him with Airside & Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 adrianfl1

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThUgN_5W91AtitlKg3suNZ0TQfJ9uRLkz04w58MHoOr00Qjt_g

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peterkear

I started work for Airside last January, I left after a month when I got a feel to how shaky it all was, they were convinced selling Motrio products to the trade would make lots of money... good move by me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 brencog

Best wishes to anyone trying to get a Renault serviced or repaired in the North West...Renault don't exist in this area...getting rid of my Renault ASAP, before I get stranded. First and last Renault for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

brencog wrote: »
    Best wishes to anyone trying to get a Renault serviced or repaired in the North West...Renault don't exist in this area...getting rid of my Renault ASAP, before I get stranded. First and last Renault for me...

In fairness unless you have an electric Renault pretty much 95% plus of jobs on them can be done by any decent mechanic, no need for main dealer support with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

In fairness unless you have an electric Renault pretty much 95% plus of jobs on them can be done by any decent mechanic, no need for main dealer support with them.

............or unless you need some work done under that 5 year warranty of yours!

If I had a year or two old Renault I'd be seriously considering getting rid of it on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bicsoi

brencog wrote: »

http://www.mayotoday.ie/index.php/browse-mayo-news-by-category/motoring-in-mayo/item/5728-jj-burke-ballinrobe-is-new-renault-dealer-in-west-of-ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I heard rumour that Joe Duffy bought Renault premises in AIRSIDE ? Dont know how true but they bought almost everywhere else so maybe ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement