Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 number plates to be changed to avoid ‘unlucky 13’

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Why is it seen as a bad thing that less cars might be sold in 2013?

So what if the government gets less tax. Boo hoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

28064212 wrote: »
    But any system that needs to filter by year will have to parse the validation-free field to extract it and store it in another column. Which means the parsing code will have to be rewritten

Struggling to see why any system would ever need to filter/sort by the year part of the registration to be honest.

I'm sure theres many date other fields on the database for each car record (date of import, date of registration, date of sale, date of tax paid) which would be more likely used for filtering purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Struggling to see why any system would ever need to filter/sort by the year part of the registration to be honest.

I'm sure theres many date other fields on the database for each car record (date of import, date of registration, date of sale, date of tax paid) which would be more likely used for filtering purposes.
    Any car-sales website for a start. There are lots of systems where the only input is the registration number. Unless it's solely used for unique key queries, parsing of some kind will happen

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Anyone who wants a new car and can afford one would buy one anyone.

For the rest of us who are hit by the recession, we wouldn't be buying one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

There should be a choice which you would want, the 13 or 131, then just from a glance everyone will be able to tell who is a superstitious idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Being superstitious doesn't make someone a idiot. You will find most people are a least a bit superstitious. Someone saying "touch wood" being a very common one.

Being slightly superstitious is one thing.

But if someone doesn't want to buy a car because the number 13 is on the reg plate then they're an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

ncmc wrote: »
    I think it's the combination of the number 13 attached to something that you could very easily die in!

Our garage once had a new car that had the digits 666 in the reg number. The revenue changed it without any hassle, the lady I dealt with said it's one of the very few situations in which revenue will change a reg number!

I remember getting a loan car, a Ford Fiesta, and the reg was **D-6666. I called it the devils Fiesta, had a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Archeron wrote: »
    I remember getting a loan car, a Ford Fiesta, and the reg was **D-6666. I called it the devils Fiesta, had a nice ring to it.

See to me that's just an easy to remember reg, If it had a reg of 666 , was coloured red and was fuelled by blood THEN I'd call it the devils Fiesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

A slap to the face for people who consider it lucky 13.

I'm genuinely surprised this is happening here in Ireland. Isn't it time to cut out superstitious bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Hang on a second, the article in the Indo says "A government spokesman confirmed that the Department of Finance was actively considering the proposed change as part of a consultation process with the motor industry"

"Actively considering" doesn't mean it's going to happen... I would hope that the DoF and the DoEnvt between them realise this is a stupid idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

If anyone says we don't live in a nanny state - you're wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Smcgie wrote: »

More to do with Motor Industry lobbying than nanny state-ism I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Would this not be the responsibility of the department of transport not the department of finance.

Will the still have it in 2014 eg 141/142 to keep the sales stable through out that year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

13-DL-666. Id ferking love that rego.

People are gobsheens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

This doesn't have as much to do with superstition as much as it has to do with boosting new car sales around the middle of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Its more simi want to bring in another new reg for all those reg concious Celtic tiger housewives .Bet you if this came in next it might work so well we can keep it for 2014 and so on. Nothing really to do with what people want since when does the government gives us what we want? I'd prefer the uk system where you have the choice of a custom reg. Oh what would simi do then when keeping your car looks in good order instead of some nr on the reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

This:

was anecdotal.

Fair enough, my example was anecdotal. Maybe I am being naive, but I presume the SIMI are going off more than a few anecdotes!

What? So SIMI claim to have evidence that changing the system will be a good thing, but won't release that evidence until the changes are made? That's nonsense.

Sorry, I worded that badly, SIMI are not commenting on the proposed changes and the ongoing discussions until some changes are confirmed.

You missed my point. SIMI announcing "less people are going to buy next year" does not mean we should invest in changing the licence plate system, unless they've established that changing the system will actually make a difference
    [I]
    Again, maybe I am being naive, but I presume if they have managed to convince the government, then they must be pretty confident that their changes will have some positive impact [/I]

http://images.gemsites.com/skupeuser/images/5/file/SIMI%20Budget%20Proposals%202012%20Summary.pdf

So maybe it is naivety on my part, but why would the SIMI spend so much time and effort lobbying for this if they didn't think it would prevent car sales falling. I know research isn't guaranteed, and no one can say with absolute certainty that it will work. But they must think that there's a strong case for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

To avoid confusion & a lifeime of bad luck, I wonder will children born next year be registered as born in 20131/32 :eek:

What will happen when the real 20131 arrives - can vintage cars avoid the NCT?

hahah! But that would be car-azy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Smcgie wrote: »

This is nothing to do with being a nanny state.

This is just f*cking stupid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Being superstitious doesn't make someone a idiot. [...]

Why yes. Yes it does. Thanks for asking.
    [...] You will find most people are a least a bit superstitious [...]

You are right. Everybody is a little dumb in their own way.

I, for one, accept that inherent dumbness. But I don't publicize the fact (except right now. dadgummit. oh the irony).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

useless wrote: »
    Hang on a second, the article in the Indo says "A government spokesman confirmed that the Department of Finance was actively considering the proposed change as part of a consultation process with the motor industry"

"Actively considering" doesn't mean it's going to happen... I would hope that the DoF and the DoEnvt between them realise this is a stupid idea.

My reading of that is that the Government are considering doing this every year; but that next year 13 will be avoided like the colour green, or driving without a Padre Pio medal.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    This is nothing to do with being a nanny state.

This is just f*cking stupid.
    I certainly don’t argue with you that superstition over the number 13 is daft, but lets say for arguments sake, the SIMI questioned 1000 people who would be due to change their cars next year (a lot of people change their cars every 2 years) and 250 of those people said they would seriously re-consider buying a car with the reg 13-D-XXXX or whatever, wouldn’t the SIMI be seriously negligent if they didn’t try and do something about it?

And stupid or not, I have come across more people than you would believe who have said they won’t or would have serious second thoughts about buying a car next year (I know, I know, 28064212, that is only anecdotal, but I do come into contact every day with people who are looking to buy new cars so I reckon my anecdotes are worth more than most :D)

Also you have to remember, that a fall in new cars, causes a reduction in good used cars too, so all in all, it’s a total balls! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The last four years haven't exactly been lucky and there isn't a 13 in any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

13 is unlucky--2013 is'nt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I certainly don’t argue with you that superstition over the number 13 is daft, but lets say for arguments sake, the SIMI questioned 1000 people who would be due to change their cars next year (a lot of people change their cars every 2 years) and 250 of those people said they would seriously re-consider buying a car with the reg 13-D-XXXX or whatever, wouldn’t the SIMI be seriously negligent if they didn’t try and do something about it?
    They would be seriously negligent if they didn't follow it up by asking them would the reg 131-D-XXXX change their mind.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

This doesn't have as much to do with superstition as much as it has to do with boosting new car sales around the middle of the year.

how will this happen? seen a few people mention it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Penn wrote: »
    "My hotel doesn't have a 13th floor because of superstition, but people on the 14th floor, you know what floor you're really on!" - Mitch Hedberg

All Hail Penn's avatar!

Best news story this year.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Being slightly superstitious is one thing.

But if someone doesn't want to buy a car because the number 13 is on the reg plate then they're an idiot.

To be honest in thinking about it a bit more I more or less agree with you on taking it to that extreme.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    If you feel like buying a car in the second half of the year, you're not discouraged by doing so just because your car will be considered a year old in a few months.

By doubling the registration interval, the idea is that you increase sales.

I'm a little skeptical about that.

Say for example, buying a car becomes unattractive in the 2nd half of the year because of the year's impending expiry. There are six months in which buying a car is an attractive proposition. (Jan-Jun)

Say now we make the registration period biannual; 2 x 6 monthly.

What happens here is that buying a new car becomes potentially unattractive in the second half of each six month period, due to the impending expiry of the new registration period.

So you still only end up with about 6 months of the year where buying a car is an attractive propositon: (Jan-Mar; Jul-Sept)

2 x 3 months = 6 months of concentrated car sales.

Or at least, that could be one theory.

They would be seriously negligent if they didn't follow it up by asking them would the reg 131-D-XXXX change their mind.

Well, I presume they did ;).

Again, anecdotely :p people don't seem to mind the numbers 1 and 3 in their reg, it's just the number 13 on it's own.

I know, I know, people be crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

batistuta9 wrote: »

Means there is a newer reg for another chunk of the year. Say you buy a car now it is new but in a january it will be considered a year old ad it has a 12-D reg. I'm I wrong in saying SIMI lobbied for the current system to make people conscious of the age of their car. Backfired now because less people care (06 golf is still a golf ect) and now when people buy a car it's at the start of the year as for resale it's considered as new as a car bought at any other month so car dealers are making a loss during the last half of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

What a joke, As if we weren't a laughing stock as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This country just went full retard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wait it till the worlds media get their hands on this

Fcuking laughing stock as usual:mad:

charlemont wrote: »
    What a joke, As if we weren't a laughing stock as it is.
    Wait it till the worlds media get their hands on this

Fcuking laughing stock as usual:mad:
    Why are people so paranoid about being a "laughing stock"?

Lots of countries do things which, on the face of it, appear daft.

I doubt you guys take much time out of your day to gather around and chortle loudly with work colleagues or passers-by at silly old Greece, or Uzbekistan, or Alabania?

I don't think really think that Ireland occupies most people's attention to quite that degree.

If this story is true (and I'd be skeptical of the Indo's stated reason for the change, but you do have to take odd irrational behaviour into account) then it's just a bit of a light, fun story about human idiosyncrasies. Relax. I don't think it actually matters a great deal, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

why not scrap the whole visible reg year thing, cut out all the 'keeping up with the Jones's' crap, stop the jealousy and just get on with it like other civilised countries do?

I never understood the reasoning behind having the date of registration on display in the first place...Just use random numbers, and your problems are solved. Then it also won't matter which half of the year you buy your car in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

galah wrote: »
    why not scrap the whole visible reg year thing, cut out all the 'keeping up with the Jones's' crap, stop the jealousy and just get on with it like other civilised countries do?

I never understood the reasoning behind having the date of registration on display in the first place...Just use random numbers, and your problems are solved.

Was just about to post that... Huzzah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just thinking, this is a real boost for criminals.

Imagine turning up in a getaway car 132-LK-14251. Not a hope of the auld wan in the Post Office taking all that down before you were gone

Potentially 10 characters in a reg is nonsense. Other countries have rationalised their systems to a maximum of 7 characters for recognition purposes

And yes I did use LK on purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

And to think we all laughed when Michael Healy-Rae suggested it... Hell, if we're taking suggestions from him now, the country's fecked!

I understand that people are superstitious. But how many of those people who said that they wouldn't buy a 13-reg car were actually planning on buying a new car anyway? I hope the first question on the survey asked "Are you currently planning on buying a new car?". I mean, I could answer saying "No, no, I'd never buy a car with a 13 on the reg!" but in reality, I don't actually have a driving license and I couldn't afford a new car if I did. I think if you were or weren't planning on buying a car next year, this won't affect your opinion in the slightest.

Also, how much money will this change cost? Don't tell me it's only a small change, because in Ireland, paperwork alone seems to cost millions...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

blastman wrote: »
    In principle, it's a good idea in that all your sales aren't concentrated into the first couple of months of the year. That's why the Britain introduced a two-plates-a-year system a while back. People here are (or were) too obsessed with the reg plate anyway.

Regarding superstitions, a lot of buildings have no 13th floor, and there is no row 13 in most aeroplanes, so we're still a pretty superstitious bunch!
    There are. They're just not callled 13. If I were superstitious I wouldn't be banking on Death or the Fates to be dumb enough to fall for the old switcheroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I don't understand why people believe that those who are superstitious are stupid. There are people in this world and country who believe that there was a guy who was a son of God, walked on water, changed water to wine and that his mum regularly appears to teenagers all over the world to talk to them about how to make the world a better place and can even heal. The same fella apparently died a very painful death he actually had known about in advance and then got up and walked around like nothing happened several days afterwards. And how many parents make their kids believe that there is Santa just to have their believes shattered when they are older? Where's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If they do stick to 13, you can bet your bottom dollar that every single incident involving one of those cars will be reported in the news, and put down to bad luck, even if it's only a bird sh1tting on one. They won't mention any other cars at all. After that coverage people will be stuck with the cars for twenty years and they won't even be able to give them away.

galah wrote: »
    Perhaps having a salient car-ageing system like ours actually encourages sales?

Lots of people might be more encouraged to change their cars when its age is on public display, as opposed to having something a little more obscure system whereby a 3 year old motor can be made to look new.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

how stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

ManMade wrote: »
    Its more simi want to bring in another new reg for all those reg concious Celtic tiger housewives
    But, sure, they're all driving around looking mortified in 07 regs.
    http://images.gemsites.com/skupeuser/images/5/file/SIMI%20Budget%20Proposals%202012%20Summary.pdf

So maybe it is naivety on my part, but why would the SIMI spend so much time and effort lobbying for this if they didn't think it would prevent car sales falling. I know research isn't guaranteed, and no one can say with absolute certainty that it will work. But they must think that there's a strong case for change.
    I think I missed the bit where it explained why supporting imports of new cars is a vital national priority.

I know SIMI try to finesse this point by talking about tax receipts, but that smacks of despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Didn't see this mentioned upthread, but don't they have a system in the UK that has 2 new reg codes per year? In and of itself it's not so outrageous, although I don't think it will do much for flagging car sales. I'm going out on a limb here, but I think poor car sales might be more to do with lack of money.

If it really is an "unlucky 13" thing, then that's just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And yes I did use LK on purpose

Then all you did was display your ignorance because L is Limerick city, not LK. Good going!:pac:

But, sure, they're all driving around looking mortified in 07 regs.I think I missed the bit where it explained why supporting imports of new cars is a vital national priority.

I know SIMI try to finesse this point by talking about tax receipts, but that smacks of despair.

I don't quite understand, are you asking why the government should be concerned about falling car sales?

Well VRT levels fell from 1.4 billion in 2007 to 375 million in 2009, so you could see why it's in the governments interests avoid any further falls in car sales.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2012/0104/1224309776150.html

I think the real problem isn't the number '13' in reg numbers, it's the fact that the government are planning to increase the VRT and road tax on the fuel efficient vehicles that the VRT system was previously changed to encourage in 2008. So not only did that cause a fall in sales in 2008, it will now cause a massive fall in sales in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Wow, I wonder will the birth rate also plummet, there will be no Damiens or Carries or Regans anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

give people the option of paying extra for a plate that replaces "13" with "SAP"

• Advertisement
Advertisement