Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 number plates to be changed to avoid ‘unlucky 13’

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Don't they have something similar in the UK where in September they change from 08 to 58? In 2008 for example.

It's half way through the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

ncmc wrote: »
    I work in the motor industry and I confirm that a lot of people have said they won’t be buying a ‘13’ car. It seems crazy, but people are very superstitious about things like this. Unless there is some kind of change, it is going to depress even further a market that is totally in the gutter. Also, anything that helps prevent car sales falling off a cliff come May/June can only be a good thing.

People who give out about the SIMI need to realise how much VRT used to contribute to the government coffers, not to mention the VAT on vehicles. And it really doesn’t harm anyone to make a simple change to the licence plates. There is talk that VRT and tax are due to rise next year, this will be a further death knell in the motor industry.

Or they could save everyone the hassle and grow a pair of balls.... seriously people have more important things to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

You wouldn't believe the amount of grief I get over registration numbers(I'm a VRT admin)

"I don't want that number,its too high"

Super excited about next year :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How stupid are people?

I would love to have a 13 plate car, but won't be able to afford one. If superstition is the only thing stopping you buying a car you need to get your head looked at. Do these people think that everyone in a '13' car is going to crash at some stage?

Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I think it would be great to have a 13 reg just to piss off all those superstitious fools :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

this is Ireland, not Japan
    Are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Don't they have something similar in the UK where in September they change from 08 to 58? In 2008 for example.
    Yeah they do. Personally I think the American plates are the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I don't see what splitting the year will do for sales. You will just have say for example 100 the first 6 months and 50 the second 6 months rather than 150 at the start of the year. And owners knowing the car was made that year is just a pile of crap. It's clearly marked on most cars when it was built. And if you care that much I'm sure you can find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Kenno90 wrote: »
    2013 number plates to be changed to avoid ‘unlucky 13’

And this idea is brought to you by the Healy-Rea dynasty from the arsehole of the corrupt backward hole that is Kerry (Anybody see the Healy-Rea expenses? Or John O'Donoghue's expenses? Or the popular support in Kerry for both people?), promoted by the rag of all rags in Dublin, Independent Newspapers, and embraced by the Irish state.

What a bunch of clowns! They might as well ban green cars and the 13th of each month. Ridiculous idea - even for the media's silly season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    I don't see what splitting the year will do for sales. You will just have say for example 100 the first 6 months and 50 the second 6 months rather than 150 at the start of the year. And owners knowing the car was made that year is just a pile of crap. It's clearly marked on most cars when it was built. And if you care that much I'm sure you can find out.

I dunno why the dealers and the SIMI crowd dont just take most the year off. Need a new car? Buy before march or youll be waiting till next year. If your car packs up just get a cheap run around.

The car dealership industry does just about fcukall for us and only makes the germans/japs and GM a bit richer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

NIMAN wrote: »
    How stupid are people?

I would love to have a 13 plate car, but won't be able to afford one. If superstition is the only thing stopping you buying a car you need to get your head looked at. Do these people think that everyone in a '13' car is going to crash at some stage?

Idiots.
    Oh, the ironing.

Every so often I begin to think that I'm no longer living in the real world, but instead living in some parody world controlled by the likes of The Onion, a world that would be better described as a bad Bill Murray film than real life.

I mean, you know things are getting bad when it becomes hard to differentiate between parody articles The Onion publish and real news. Today it's "Ireland will not issue 13 reg number plates for fear of bad luck." Earlier this week it was "Women who are legitimately raped cannot get pregnant." What will it be next week? I really can't wait to see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Splitting the year in two won't affect overall car sales per year.

Current numbers are fine, it's going to be a while before new car registrations match the peak of the boom.

Perhaps based on numbers of cars registered we could use Dublin and Cork postal codes ? But a D4 would likely get keyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think maybe the ongoing recession and the next Budget might have more effect on 2013 car sales than any aul nonsense about being being worried about driving a 13 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Whatever about 2013, I think the plates should be changed to the UK style.
    Its ridiculous that the plate identifies the age of the vehicle, Puts pressure on people to buy newer car's...
    Its all about tax..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

You should all think of the poor kids that will be born on the 13th of Smarch next year, 13/13/13 will be their birth date, lousy Smarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Why not just skip the year 2013 all together and jump to 2014 same as the hotel floor idea? What is time anyway?

It will show the world ireland is more advanced being one year ahead of everyone else.

Also it will shorten the recession by a year. 9 year decades will mean people will retire earlier as well. Tax wise this will be offset by time travelling tourists to futuristic Ireland ahead of its time.

Some slight problems I can see but this will be popular with people serving sentences getting out a year early. Some 4 year olds starting schools. People having 21st when they are really 19 this will benefit the hotel industry. Aside from that there will be no issues.

I also propose we loose 13:00 from the 24:00 clock and have a 25:00 clock. No more unlucky lunchtimes people.

Let's take 13 from tape measures as well. Shoe size is another, loose 13, who wants unlucky sized feet?

Who is with me on this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

gvn wrote: »
    Every so often I begin to think that I'm no longer living in the real world, but instead living in some parody world controlled by the likes of The Onion, a world that would be better described as a bad Bill Murray film than real life.

I mean, you know things are getting bad when it becomes hard to differentiate between parody articles The Onion publish and real news. Today it's "Ireland will not issue 13 reg number plates for fear of bad luck." Earlier this week it was "Women who are legitimately raped cannot get pregnant." What will it be next week? I really can't wait to see.

I blame the Murdoch/ News International story. Every daily development of that was so hilariously, mind bogglingly mental - pies! ninjawife! Rebecca Brooks! handing a bag of evidence to the police by accident! Hugh Grant kicking ass! - it broke reality, and now anything goes.

Also what about loosing the 13th minute of each hour and we have a 61 minute hour?

• Advertisement

In before page 13 of this thread. Who is going to be the unlucky poster who starts that page?

Mods can we skip page 13s on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I have just shed a tear for the fools of this nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Bull****. They want the rich pricks to change their cars every 6 months instead of every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Does the governement think that the crazies who would be worried by having the '13' in '2013' wont spot that there is still a '13' in '20131' ?

(BTW, of course the smart people are the ones who have a phobia about buying a car whose number plate year is the same as the current year - and so paying extortionate VRT and VAT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

folan wrote: »
    ive heard of people refusing to stay in room 13 in a hotel. Ive seen people buying house number 13 at a cut down price after the original buyers pulled out because of the number.

people are wierd and mad and daft. half of them cant even tell me why 13 is unlucky.

There's a house near me changed its number to 11A rather than 13.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    13-DL-666. Id ferking love that rego.

Imagine the looks you'd get.

A Donegal car in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

folan wrote: »
    ive heard of people refusing to stay in room 13 in a hotel. Ive seen people buying house number 13 at a cut down price after the original buyers pulled out because of the number.

people are wierd and mad and daft. half of them cant even tell me why 13 is unlucky.

Weird and daft? Fukking morons more like.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Its ridiculous that the plate identifies the age of the vehicle, Puts pressure on people to buy newer car's...
    Its all about tax..

Pressure from who? Themselves. This proposal is moronic.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Its all about tax..

But the UK system does (at least the GB system does; the NI system doesn't)

This year, Jan-Feb were 61, March-August are 12 and Sept-Dec will be 62. Jan-Feb of next year will be 62 as well, and then it'll be 13. So there's a similar problem there, just not for as long.

• Advertisement

Pressure from who? Themselves. This proposal is moronic.
    Peer pressure, if you're within certain social groups where to be seen with "that old thing", marks you down as not being worthy.

More often some people (or their wives) insist on having a car newer that "the Jones" next door.

It all just proves that the brainwashing by marketeers in the consumer dream machine have been successful.

No one needs a new(er) can until the old one is no longer fit for purpose!

Richard wrote: »
    But the UK system does (at least the GB system does; the NI system doesn't)

This year, Jan-Feb were 61, March-August are 12 and Sept-Dec will be 62. Jan-Feb of next year will be 62 as well, and then it'll be 13. So there's a similar problem there, just not for as long.

The GB(excluding NI) system used to identical to the old Irish system, but in 1963 they started using a letter for the year NCF 234 A for example.
    In 1967 they changed the date of the letter change to August, in 1995 they changed the letter twice a year to keep up with demand for numbers & spread the sales of new cars.

In 2001 they started the current format.

It should be noted that all of these changes were sponsored by the motor trade, with the aim of "encouraging" people to buy newer cars in August instead of January as that was a quiet period.

It would be interesting to compare NI car sales with the rest of GB and also with Ireland to see if the year plates really make much of a difference.

Peer pressure, if you're within certain social groups where to be seen with "that old thing", marks you down as not being worthy.

More often some people (or their wives) insist on having a car newer that "the Jones" next door.

It all just proves that the brainwashing by marketeers in the consumer dream machine have been successful.

No one needs a new(er) can until the old one is no longer fit for purpose!

Is there a shop somewhere where anyone who falls for that rubbish can buy some balls? This is proof that vested interests (SIMI) can yank the chain of Government without any public consultation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

They are worried about sales yet they didn't think that people would naturally want the 13-2 instead of the 13-1 if they were buying in the middle of the year :confused:So they'll actually manage to feck up sales more this way. Gobshites

Is there a shop somewhere where anyone who falls for that rubbish can buy some balls? This is proof that vested interests (SIMI) can yank the chain of Government without any public consultation.
    Having less money is quite effective. :o
    The issue is, the fact that VI's can call the shots on things like this, just imagine if the ESB for example issued a new serial number for their meters each year to encourage people to change them for newer ones. There would be an outcry, stupid example I know, but that's how people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

This is pathetic, the SIMI carry a lot of clout with the ministers in the Dail, i wonder would they listen and act as quickly for parents of special needs kids when they want some changes? much more likely they would cut some of the services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i would buy a car with the number 13 on it,
    i think 13 is a lucky number in some country, am i right

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I get the feeling alot of the plate conscious brigade were using 13 as an excuse for not being able to afford upgrading while saving face, hence the anecdotal evidance.

SIMI must have some serious pull with the new government though, first imported cars starting to get crazy high regs > 120000 and then convincing the government to give away the 2-200 2012 plate numbers for free instead of selling them for €1000 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

SIMI must have some serious pull with the new government though, first imported cars starting to get crazy high regs > 120000 and then convincing the government to give away the 2-200 2012 plate numbers for free instead of selling them for €1000 each.

What sort of people honestly give a **** about the number on the back of their car, whether its 2 or 120000 it still does the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

SIMI have been pushing for this for awhile, its nothing to do with unlucky 13

Car sales peak in January and fall off through out the rest of the year. Simi want to spread the sales more evenly through out the year so that dealers can spread the work load through out the year. Makes sense from their perspective, and doesn't cost money to implement

Who cares really. Also, anyone put off by a 13-D reg is an idiot

LiamoSail wrote: »

Car sales peak in January and fall off through out the rest of the year. Simi want to spread the sales more evenly through out the year so that dealers can spread the work load through out the year. Makes sense from their perspective, and doesn't cost money to implement

If that's their claim, why do they not press for a neutral plate, one that does not display the year of first registration! They have already succeeded in getting imports highlighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Bolitar

I would not consider myselft superstitious as such but no, I would not purchase a 13 reg car. I drive a 96 reg not able to buy a brand new car but no way would I buy a secondhand 13 reg. Cant explain why though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd actually be embarrassed explaining this to someone from a different country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am indifferent to this, I couldn't give a toss,

With rising fuel prices, rising food prices and the worsening of this poxy recession could we just skip next year and go straight to 2014.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I am indifferent to this, I couldn't give a toss,

With rising fuel prices, rising food prices and the worsening of this poxy recession could we just skip next year and go straight to 2014.

yea.as if tweaking the car registration plate system is going to get us to buy new cars while we're skint and looking at the property tax and other new bills and extra costs next year!

By the way, this isn't a recession we're in, it's the new normal, get used to it! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

yea.as if tweaking the car registration plate system is going to get us to buy new cars while we're skint and looking at the property tax and other new bills and extra costs next year!

By the way, this isn't a recession we're in, it's the new normal, get used to it! :(

LOL LOL LOL

That really puts this trivia into perspective>:D

PS
    Don't forget the water rates/ meters, and the increase in duties we are promised if you just happen to be budgeting for a bran new car next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Goverment sponsored witchcraft. This whole idea stinks. System was easy to understand as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭lightspeed

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It is, but it's not such a dumb move - in the year 2012, people are still beyond superstitious. I know somebody that claimed her house to be ghost-infested because a couple of taps would start drawing water on their own accord (i.e. the taps are old and battered and the water pressure manages to push through).

Also, try to chek an umbrella inside and see if there isn't somebody screaming bloody murder just because it LOOKS like you're gonna open it indoors.

Last but not least, there's no car number 13 in Formula 1, reason: superstition. I can definitely see people deciding not to buy a car because they don't want the "13" on the plate.

On a funny note, registrations make of hilarious results sometimes; Years ago, in Italy, I saw a registration plate ending in "005EX" (and no, it was no vanity plate) :)

Just cause some people are stupid enough to believe in nonsense, does not mean there should be changes in policy or legislation to facilitate there nonsense. its not a matter of opinion, its a matter of logic.
    How does this help the motor insustry?
    Those it not mean that cars made within the first 6 months will lose their value quicker after 6 months into the year. So how will a further fall in price help sustain profit and jobs within the motor industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ted!

orlaxxx wrote: »
    what will happen in december will it be 1312??

Only if Santa brings you a DeLorean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't get this - nobody worries about the 13th of the month except if it's Friday the 13th - I didn't think there was issue with just the number 13. I can't believe the government are using this as a reason to change the system.

Anyd surely the people stupid enough to worry about this crap won't be buying new cars anyway, because sure isn't the world going to end in December 2012?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

LiamoSail wrote: »
    SIMI have been pushing for this for awhile, its nothing to do with unlucky 13

Who cares really. Also, anyone put off by a 13-D reg is an idiot

Yeah simi have been pushing for a second registration plate for a while now, the 13 plate issue was brought up by (i think) Michael Healy Rae, earlier this year.
    A 13 plate wouldn't bother me at all tbh. I'm just surprised out Govt doesn't go the whole hog and skip the year 2013 altogether and launch us straight into 2014 at 12.01 of the 1st of January - that will sort out that nonsense lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement