Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Penny Apples Cullen going down the swanney

• 24-08-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

heard something on radio this morning that he lost his exclusive "renault" Contract. Is that true?

Maybe if he tells them he will work for nothing, they might give it back to him. ;)

Are you a WARRIOUOR
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Does he still drape the dealerships in unauthorised (no planning permission) tatty fabric banners and then lecture people about hin-tegritty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There aren't many cars being sold anyway, so it probably won't make much difference.
    BUSINESSMAN BILL Cullen will no longer be a Renault dealer from the end of this month.
    In a statement yesterday, he confirmed the ending of his long association with the brand.
    Mr Cullen previously held the national franchise for the car brand but this was taken back under the control of the French firm in 2007. While he remained as a Renault dealer, that relationship is now about to end.
    Renault Ireland and the Bill Cullen Motor Group declined to comment on the reasons behind the decision, aside from stating that both parties “have terminated the relationship by mutual agreement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0824/1224322861631.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

if that was one of his apprentices could you imagine what he would be saying to them.

"use your common sense - I sent you out with a contract and you blew it - you lost it" I need WARRIOURS in here. YOU'RE FIRED. :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I really dislike Bill Cullen but take no pleasure in seeing another business suffering.

Lumbo wrote: »
    I really dislike Bill Cullen but take no pleasure in seeing another business suffering.

usually I don't either but his smug-ster is telling people to work for nothing. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a comeuppance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Hope he bounces back from this, maybe he's not too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

He probably needs the time to focus on his upcoming trip into space.

sounds like he's up the wazoo as old mother goose would say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

We need more people like Bill in this country. He pays his taxes here when he could be dodging legitimately like some other business men. I am sure he will come up with a fresh business plan and reinvent himself. Does this mean Renault cars will get cheaper I doubt it so more money going out foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

bamboozle wrote: »
    He probably needs the time to focus on his upcoming trip into space

Jesus, please stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I never minded Bill,He was successful in what he did for years and you cant take that away from him. Sure isn't in his 70,s ???? he needs to chill out now with Jackie ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

While I have great admiration for anyone who sets up & runs a sucessful business, I have no time for smug ****ers like Bill Cullen.

Now, with his hotel losing millions, he's been axed by TV3, his dealership is no longer getting handouts from the government & Renault have pulled the plug on his exclusive car sales rights, he might not be such a smart-arsed cunt.

I hate to gloat, but in fairness, any bollox who has made a career of loarding his smugness over everyone else for the last 40 years really can't expect a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Poor old Billy, always did have a big mouth let's see how quiet he is now!

but sure, he can always work for nothing - he promotes that, doesn't he. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

it was easy to be successful in a closed shop, while at the same time being a poster boy for most that is wrong in irish buisness.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

He pays his taxes here when he could be dodging legitimately like some other business men.

How could anybody other than Bill Cullen or his accountant possibly know this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

An import car brand franchise in the 70s 80s and 90s in Ireland was a licience to print money.you could not fail on it.There are a few very very wealthy familys in Ireland from it that keep a low profile.Sad to see him losing this but always thought he was a one trick pony and thought they should have had someone with a track record of turning around failed companies who was wealthier and more diverse on the apprentice,as for Jackie I dont knnow what she had achieved to have her position on the show bar running a hotel that has lost money year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

What I didnt like was his attitude to young adults. Just because he "made it" he thought he was on a high enough horse to criticise young people who hadnt made it, inferring they don't work hard enough. While that's true in some cases it's certainly not true in the majority of cases. I really take issue with how some of these people have god complexes when they wouldnt have got anywhere near where they got without people helping them out along the way, opportunities presenting themselves, good health and a fit state of mind. Not everyone has the luxury of that so there's no need to criticise them, perhaps encouraging them would be more fruitful.

tipptom wrote: »
    An import car brand franchise in the 70s 80s and 90s in Ireland was a licience to print money.you could not fail on it.There are a few very very wealthy familys in Ireland from it that keep a low profile.Sad to see him losing this but always thought he was a one trick pony and thought they should have had someone with a track record of turning around failed companies who was wealthier and more diverse on the apprentice,as for Jackie I dont knnow what she had achieved to have her position on the show bar running a hotel that has lost money year on year.

her style and model looks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Will he go back selling penny apples or maybe he could try selling some salt of the earth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

her style and model looks??

anyone have any young pics of jackie;)?

"prepares for fap sessioun":o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Boombastic wrote: »
    Will he go back selling penny apples or maybe he could try selling some salt of the earth?
    Kia and Hyundi by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

tipptom wrote: »
    Kia and Hyundi by the sounds of things.

He better not fcuk with the warranty:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Delighted for the smug, gerbil-headed cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Bill Cullens attempt to sell cars before the Euros was "buy a car and if Ireland win the Euros, we'll give you your money back"
    Seriously, that isn't going to persuade you to buy a car. You'd have a better chance of winning the lotto twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Man works hard, makes money when there's money to be made, then see's his life's work collapse around him.

After hours rides in with usual begrudging celebration

... anyway, who the feck wants to own a Renault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I'm going to print out this thread and keep it on my desk and show it to people who ask me why I moved to Canada.
    Here people are genuinely happy to see people get ahead and be a success.

Not like Ireland it is all fcuk him who does he think he is building up a business empire and how happy people are to see him fail. Or I'm glad he failed because he was on a stupid TV show

Fran1985 wrote: »

After hours rides in with usual begrudging celebration

That's untrue. I think of it more as enjoyably cruel mirth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Unfortunately people like Bill will always be alright. There's a bit of a millionaires club in Ireland I feel and they all look after each other.

Bill is a bit of a gob****e but he's nowhere near as deluded as Crosby. Telling people that he was being the worst affected in the recession and that all the best people were in NAMA. **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bill's 70 odd at this stage. If I were him I'd start winding down, go sit on a yacht in Puerto Banus drink pina coladas all day and maybe write some self improvement books on the side.

red menace wrote: »
    I'm going to print out this thread and keep it on my desk and show it to people who ask me why I moved to Canada

That glazed look in their eyes: it's not avid interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Boombastic wrote: »

Probably cost 50 cent now, and in fairness he's not the only one suggesting people work for free, are Government have actually set it up. I also would like to say, if someone is gaining valuable experience, I'm not fully against that idea. (I have no problem in doing it myself, and have so for the last 3 years)

As for Bill, yep he was a bit of a mouth, and extremely cocky, but as someone else pointed out, I still wouldn't wise this on my worse enemy, and it's sad news.

If his dealership closes down, he probably be fine, but his empolyees won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

While I have great admiration for anyone who sets up & runs a sucessful business, I have no time for smug ****ers like Bill Cullen.

Now, with his hotel losing millions, he's been axed by TV3, his dealership is no longer getting handouts from the government & Renault have pulled the plug on his exclusive car sales rights, he might not be such a smart-arsed cunt.

I hate to gloat, but in fairness, any bollox who has made a career of loarding his smugness over everyone else for the last 40 years really can't expect a lot more.

Couldn't agree more. At the same time as he was lecturing people to work for free he was also intensively lobbying the government to bring in a scrapage scheme which was like his own personal bailout. So he used his influence to ensure taxes on cars were cut so he could make more money and profits under the guise of 'saving jobs' while at the same time telling people to work for nothing. If a business needs people to work for free then it is not a viable business full stop.

He's a pure hypocrite in my books for doing that.

The only good thing you could say about him is at least he didn't get involved with the property madness in any big way, like I know he has the hotel and apartments in Killarney but on the other hand he was wealthy before the boom kicked off so would have been a prime candidate for landing an Anglo mega loan of €300-400m, just like Sean Dunne, Liam Carroll, etc. He would have had those opportunities at a time when all around him were making hay in property but in general he stuck to selling cars. The hotel and apartments are more of a Jackie Lavin vanity project than any serious property development. So at least he doesn't owe the taxpayer millions that can't be repaid unlike some of our other so called entrepreneurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Sure poor bill is havin no luck at all
    Sure dident he puts the bins out yesterday and greenstar went bust !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

RATM wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. At the same time as he was lecturing people to <a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="#">work</a> for free he was also intensively lobbying the government to bring in a scrapage scheme which was like his own personal bailout. So he used his influence to ensure taxes on cars were cut so he could make more money and profits under the guise of 'saving <a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="#">jobs</a>' while at the same time telling people to work for nothing. If a business needs people to work for free then it is not a viable business full stop.

The b@st@rd, using his influence to make car's cheaper for people to buy. Once again using anything we can to begrudge the man. Yeah he made money (he owned a business, not a charity), but he also made cars more affordable for EVERYONE else. Do you think he should have used his influence to make things cheaper and LOSE money? That is not a "viable business" plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If the business fails he can always go slave for free for somebody else

He reckons its good enough for young people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Did he not lose his exclusive contract to be a main dealer a few years back. I know he did great things for renault in the past, but they took him off being the main Irish dealer a while ago, and now it seems they have no further use for his role as the spokesperson or biggest dealer in the country.

Sure he owns the Muckross in Kilkenny, he will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Something tells me he'll not have to resort to a diet of koka noodles and dry bread regardless.

Man works hard like everyone else, makes money when there's money to be made, puts down everyone else after they lose their jobs, tells them to work for nothing while he sits atop his high horse, then see's imaginary loftiness collapse around him when he too might have to "work for nothing"

After hours rides in with usual "good enough for you, you smug git" celebration

FYP.

• Advertisement

I'm going to print out this thread and keep it on my desk and show it to people who ask me why I moved to Canada.

Not like Ireland it is all fcuk him who does he think he is building up a business empire and how happy people are to see him fail. Or I'm glad he failed because he was on a stupid TV show

while you're at it, ask your people in Canada would they work for nothing. So why did you move to Canada - are you working for nothing over there? or did you leave this place because there was no work and you had some git telling you to work for nothing. Why didn't you take up the offer LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great news, hope he goes bankurpt.

The b@st@rd, using his influence to make car's cheaper for people to buy. Once again using anything we can to begrudge the man. Yeah he made money (he owned a business, not a charity), but he also made cars more affordable for EVERYONE else. Do you think he should have used his influence to make things cheaper and LOSE money? That is not a "viable business" plan.

if he is promoting work for nothing, how can you afford a car?? :rolleyes:

Great news, hope he goes bankurpt.

He could always go on the Dragons' Den, pitch a new business idea, and hope they go for it.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He could always go on the Dragons' Den, pitch a new business idea, and hope they go for it.

you mean take seaneeeen's place. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i didnt' agree with a lot of what bill said and did, didnt' really know much about him until the apprentice show started in 2008. i wouldnt be trampling on this grave so to speak or taking any pleasure in his current difficulty, he tried , he was a success and now on the way down. at least he tried regardless of what he is like as a person. we need more bill cullens in this country, people who are willing to go with a business plan and follow it to as far as it can go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I don't like him because he feels that growing up in a slum has given him an inbuilt moral superiority over everyone else. He made his money from his monopolistic control over the Renault brand in Ireland, not some kind of mystical rare oul times, coddle for breakfast, Moore St school of business. Once his monopoly was taken off him he was shown up as the chancer he really is.

you mean take seaneeeen's place. :D:D

No, because he'd be a candidate not a Dragon.:P

i didnt' agree with a lot of what bill said and did, didnt' really know much about him until the apprentice show started in 2008. i wouldnt be trampling on this grave so to speak or taking any pleasure in his current difficulty, he tried , he was a success and now on the way down. at least he tried regardless of what he is like as a person. we need more bill cullens in this country, people who are willing to go with a business plan and follow it to as far as it can go

so did lots of others - but lots of others didn't put down people who had some hard luck in their lives, by losing their jobs through no fault of their own.

If he was a bit more humble with his fellow human beings people would have a bit more respect for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

while you're at it, ask your people in Canada would they work for nothing. So why did you move to Canada - are you working for nothing over there? or did you leave this place because there was no work and you had some git telling you to work for nothing. Why didn't you take up the offer LOL

well Fishy Fishy. I actually had a job and so had my wife. We were just getting pissed off with Ireland and the negative news and people so we moved to Canada. Been here two years and have no ontention of going back.

and for what it's worth I would work for nothing if I had no job. Would rather put my energy into something productive that do nothing if it came to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement