Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router Linksys Wag200

• 24-08-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope this is in the right forum/thread; if not Mod can you please relocate.

Anyway, I want to set-up a Linksys 200g Router as a Relay Router and would like some advise on how to do this please?

I have a Cisco router provided by UPC as main router downstairs in the sitting room and I want to have the Linksys one upstairs and for it to be able to pick up the signal from the main router downstairs (the UPC one)

So what settings/how do I go about doing this please and thank you
    Thanks

Iba

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

iba wrote: »
    I have a Cisco router provided by UPC as main router downstairs in the sitting room and I want to have the Linksys one upstairs and for it to be able to pick up the signal from the main router downstairs (the UPC one)

The WAG200G is a DSL router, if you want to use it as a repeater/access point, you'll need to run an ethernet cable from any of the Cisco's LAN ports to LAN port 1 of the Linksys. Instructions here.

And no, it won't "pick up the signal from the main router downstairs", for this you would need a wireless repeater/range extender, different ballgame altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Torqay wrote: »
    The WAG200G is a DSL router, if you want to use it as a repeater/access point, you'll need to run an ethernet cable from any of the Cisco's LAN ports to LAN port 1 of the Linksys. Instructions here.

And no, it won't "pick up the signal from the main router downstairs", for this you would need a wireless repeater/range extender, different ballgame altogether.

Torqay,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Sad though that I cant do what I wantd to do :(

Do you know if there is any router out there (Amazon) than can do what I want?

Thanks

Iba

As I said, a wireless range extender is one option. If you need wired network upstairs as well, you can use power line adapters (some PLCs also have a WLAN build in).

However, these are "makeshift" solutions. Can't beat a proper Ethernet connection. If you have the option to run a network cable (it can be up to 100m) upstairs and extend your network with a normal router, then do it. ;)

As I said, a wireless range extender is one option. If you need wired network upstairs as well, you can use power line adapters (some PLCs also have a WLAN build in).

However, these are "makeshift" solutions. Can't beat a proper Ethernet connection. If you have the option to run a network cable (it can be up to 100m) upstairs and extend your network with a normal router, then do it. ;)

Thanks Torqay,

Never knew 100m Ethernet cables were available but wouldnt be able to get one to run upstairs anyway.

Regards

Iba

Never knew 100m Ethernet cables were available

Well, shops usually stock up to 15 or 20m of ready-made cable, if you need more, they'll make one for you.

Anyway, what are your requirements? Do you need wired network upstairs or are you OK with wireless?

• Advertisement

Well, shops usually stock up to 15 or 20m of ready-made cable, if you need more, they'll make one for you.

Anyway, what are your requirements? Do you need wired network upstairs or are you OK with wireless?

Hi again,

No, I need the router upstairs to connect wirelessly to the router downstairs.

Regards

Iba

You need a router upstairs so you can connect a computer with a network cable?

Can you be a bit more specific? ;)

You need a router upstairs so you can connect a computer with a network cable?

Can you be a bit more specific? ;)

Hi

Actually I need the router upstairs in order to connect my Ariva 120 Set Top Box (satelite receiver) with an Network Cable, (same difference I suppose).

Regards

Iba

If you really do not want to run a direct cable, get a pair of power line network adapters. Something like this.

If you really do not want to run a direct cable, get a pair of power line network adapters. Something like this.

Torquay,

Is there any router that could do this job rather than a power line network adapter please & thank you?

Regards

Iba

• Advertisement

Torquay,

Is there any router that could do this job rather than a power line network adapter please & thank you?

Regards

Iba

Nope, your options have not changed since. ;)

1. run a cable.

2. use the AC power lines with a set of PLC adapters

Since your set top box requires a wired connection, a WLAN repeater is out of the question, unless you're using another PC/Laptop with LAN and WLAN nearby so you can share the wireless internet connection of the computer with the set top box.

Nope, your options have not changed since. ;)

1. run a cable.

2. use the AC power lines with a set of PLC adapters

Since your set top box requires a wired connection, a WLAN repeater is out of the question, unless you're using another PC/Laptop with LAN and WLAN nearby so you can share the wireless internet connection of the computer with the set top box.

Thanks Torquay,

I cant use Homeplugs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347539860&sr=8-1

if thats what you mean because my downstairs sockets run on a different circuit to my upstairs sockets.

And I cant use a able caue its too hard and messy.

I dont really understand your last para. why would I need another laptop/pc nearby?

Thanks Iba

If you get the wireless signal with a laptop upstairs, then you can share the internet connection of the laptop and run a cable connection from the laptop to the set top box.

P.S.: I don't see what's so hard and messy about running a network cable upstairs. They can be up to 100m long, plenty length to "hide" the cable.

If you get the wireless signal with a laptop upstairs, then you can share the internet connection of the laptop and run a cable connection from the laptop to the set top box.

P.S.: I don't see what's so hard and messy about running a network cable upstairs. They can be up to 100m long, plenty length to "hide" the cable.

Thanks Torquay.

Advertisement