Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we trend towards unfurnished rentals?

Options
  • 24-08-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭

Would people prefer to use/keep their own furniture and rent bare spaces, as is the norm here in Germany?

People would perhaps feel more at home on their own sofa/bed and there'd be less to "go wrong" for both parties: ie, no damage to be deducted from deposits.Tenants could buy decent furniture and not have to endure rubbish from the stingier landlords.

Typically in Germany you rent a bare property, painted brilliant white throughout, often not including so much as the light fittings (never mind a kitchen). Bathrooms come fully equipped with all sanitary fittings. Kitchens are usually tiled out to take a kitchen, but have no actual kitchen installed.

It's easy for both sides to see what, if any damage has been done to the bare walls and floor. The furniture has nothing to do with the landlord.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

murphaph wrote: »
    Would people prefer to use/keep their own furniture and rent bare spaces, as is the norm here in Germany?

People would perhaps feel more at home on their own sofa/bed and there'd be less to "go wrong" for both parties: ie, no damage to be deducted from deposits.Tenants could buy decent furniture and not have to endure rubbish from the stingier landlords.

Typically in Germany you rent a bare property, painted brilliant white throughout, often not including so much as the light fittings (never mind a kitchen). Bathrooms come fully equipped with all sanitary fittings. Kitchens are usually tiled out to take a kitchen, but have no actual kitchen installed.

It's easy for both sides to see what, if any damage has been done to the bare walls and floor. The furniture has nothing to do with the landlord.

that's fine is you plan on a long term rental 5+ years but it's not suitable for most tenants who stay for 12 or 24 months. No tenant wants the extra cost of buying your own furniture and then the hassle of having to move it around with you from place to place.

Also why would you want to rent somwhere with no kitchen? Are you expected to buy your own cooker, fridge etc... If so you'd want a small morgage just to rent some place.

Bacially it's a great deal for the landlord and a rubbish deal for the tenant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sounds good.. if we have the same german rental laws and rental regulations..and if the irish mindset changes in terms of "the family home"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Isn't renting in Germany a long term arrangement; ie 10+ years? If so then that is where it makes more sense, and is more desirable, for the tenant to have their own furnishings. A lot of things that renters do abroad are not as applicable to Ireland as our culture of renting is quite different to the likes of Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

When we rented our house we offered it unfurnished, but lights, kitchen etc. all present of course. Most prospective tenants told us that they only wanted unfurnished but that these were hard to find. For a family home this could be the way to go in future, many people changing location have their own stuff and want to use it.

I'd only ever rent a place unfurnished as I don't want to use someone else's furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

German rentals aren't all 10+ years nor anything like it. I know loads of (German) people who've rented a place for 12/24 months, like in Ireland.

Tenants in Ireland have most of the rights (but fewer responsibilities) than their German counterparts. The German landlord can ultimately seek possession of his property if he needs it for his own use (same in Ireland). I think the only way an Irish landlord can seek possession under a Part IV tenancy is if he needs the place himself (and can prove it) or if he intends to sell up completely (that's different in Germany-a landlord has to sell with the tenant in situ but the new owner can seek possession for his own use).

I think the main difference has nothing to do with the law and a lot more to do with an apparent stigma about renting and other assorted bullsh!t.

There are certainly areas where the law could be tightened up and sped up so it protects good landlords and tenants alike and punishes the bad ones, but are we even ready to accept long term family home rental, as is the norm in many countries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I would love to find an unfurnished place to rent! I moved over with a houseful of stuff, all of which I use. We also have a FF (as the one supplied was too small, and mine was bigger), microwave, and a bed.

There seems to be a school of thought here that furnished is better, and that the landlord should supply EVERYTHING. I've seen threads on here which ask whether the LL should supply dishes and sheets. Why on earth renters can't bring their own dishes, cutlery and bedding, and would want to use someone else's I can't imagine.

Besides - if you have your own stuff there, then you're more inclined to look after it as well as the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would love to find an unfurnished place to rent! I moved over with a houseful of stuff, all of which I use. We also have a FF (as the one supplied was too small, and mine was bigger), microwave, and a bed.
    I'm a landlord but will also be a tenant in the coming couple of years as our child outgrows the flat we're in now. We'll rent a small house/large flat in/around Berlin and like you, I can't imagine using landlord supplied crockery etc. Just doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

In England its more common to rent unfurnished.
    The houses I have lived in in the past had fitted kitchen and bathroom. Some had fitted wardrobes but not all.

Before moving over to Ireland 4 years ago we sold loads of large stuff such as sofa, fridge freezer, washing machine and wardrobes / bedside tables. Kept my bed though and my sons bunkbeds - I have a thing about my own bed.

It is easier to move from place to place when furnished apart from the beds everything fits in the car so only a couple of trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

Because people dont treat things that arent their own very well, the result is that furnished properties tend to end up with mistreated furniture.
    So landlords learn there lesson with the result that when you rent furnished, you get furniture which is cheap and crap. Disposable if you like.

On the other hand so few people want unfurnished that landlords trying to let unfurnished have a diminished supply of prospective tenants, so why let unfurnished at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

murphaph wrote: »
    German rentals aren't all 10+ years nor anything like it. I know loads of (German) people who've rented a place for 12/24 months, like in Ireland.

Tenants in Ireland have most of the rights (but fewer responsibilities) than their German counterparts. The German landlord can ultimately seek possession of his property if he needs it for his own use (same in Ireland). I think the only way an Irish landlord can seek possession under a Part IV tenancy is if he needs the place himself (and can prove it) or if he intends to sell up completely (that's different in Germany-a landlord has to sell with the tenant in situ but the new owner can seek possession for his own use).

I think the main difference has nothing to do with the law and a lot more to do with an apparent stigma about renting and other assorted bullsh!t.

There are certainly areas where the law could be tightened up and sped up so it protects good landlords and tenants alike and punishes the bad ones, but are we even ready to accept long term family home rental, as is the norm in many countries?

I know a different story, and it always depends, from where you are renting. Of course, there are private landlords, who offer more short term leases like in Ireland. But you also have apartments and houses, most likely looked after by the city council, where you have no problem, finding a long term lease.

Anyway, you are right in saying, that renting in Germany has not such a negative label at all. This has to do with the fact, that you are able to get a long term contract, but there is also another point: Many Germans say, you have to move with your job, and leaving a rented property is always easier than selling a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm from Australia where the overwhelming majority of rentals are unfurnished. While in college i was in the same place for two years and we started out with blow up furniture which was great craic and then just added to it as we were given stuff. Then when starting work i was in one place for 12mnths and the other place for 4yrs. It can be expensive starting out (fridge, washing machine, tv) etc but at least you have your own stuff. However i was very greatful when moving to ireland that rentals were furnished...made life much easier :) i've been in the same place here now for almost 5yrs, so not everyone moves (or has to move) every 12-24months. I would like my own couch though and ended up buying myself a new mattress earlier this year rather than ask the landlord as now it can come with me when i buy a house.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I couldn't bear to live in a furnished place again. We're currently looking for an unfurnished place in Dublin and it's a rather frustrating experience.

I'd say that it's a rather Irish problem. For some reason lots of people don't believe that they've moved out from under mammies apron strings. When they rent somewhere it's not their home and simply somewhere to stay until the weekend so they can head back home again.

My OH is German, she's completely bemused by the state of Irish rentals. While the laws there are very supportive for long term tenants there is also a completely different mindset to renting. I know plenty of people there who have moved regularly, bringing everything with them. Many people even bring their own kitchens with them!

I would imagine renting unfurnished should be a win-win for everyone. It's lower maintenance and hassle for a landlord and Ikea makes it ridiculously easy to furnish a place for next to nothing.

Advertisement