Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fish n Chips in town

Options
  • 24-08-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hiya lads,

Been living here now for almost a year and never had me some Fish n Chips.
    What's the best place to get one in D1 or D2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

leo burdocks on werburgh street..with crispy bits....case closed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Burdocks up near Christchurch. Not the other branches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

alastair wrote: »
    Burdocks up near Christchurch. Not the other branches though.

yes was just about to edit my post to add that. the other branches are NOT the same at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Burdocks is only for tourists. Morellis Thomas st or Fuscos Meath st....best of all is original borza , crumlin cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Burdocks are average. The italians chippers are better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Dont know why people always recommend Burdocks ?? Is it sheep mentality or what ? Never had great food from there. Plus 1 for Fusco's. !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So, while there are opinions that Burdocks ain't great... nobody has suggested anywhere else? I'm not fond of Fish so I don't feel qualified to give much of an opinion. I did get Fish and Chips from Burdocks in Christchurch a few years back. The lasting impression was that their customer service was good.

I read (on boards.ie I think) that the Kingfisher on Parnell St is supposed to be good for fish and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

New chipper called The Fryer beside the petrol station on the quays is the nicest I have tasted in a long time. They freshly batter the fish in front of you which I think adds to the taste as a lot of places half cook the fish and they finish it off when you order. Their chips are gorgeous as well and their portions are big and prices lower than city centre. Hungry now and it's only 11am!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Little bit further a field but Beshoff Bros on Haddington Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

New chipper called The Fryer beside the petrol station on the quays is the nicest I have tasted in a long time. They freshly batter the fish in front of you which I think adds to the taste as a lot of places half cook the fish and they finish it off when you order. Their chips are gorgeous as well and their portions are big and prices lower than city centre. Hungry now and it's only 11am!!

Is that beside the TOP station on Ushers Quay

Been looking for a place that batters and cooks the fish fresh instead of par cooked and reheated later. Like it fresh.

Was the fish good?

vicwatson wrote: »

Is that beside the TOP station on Ushers Quay

Been looking for a place that batters and cooks the fish fresh instead of par cooked and reheated later. Like it fresh.

Was the fish good?

Yeah just beside the TOP garage parking is on the TOP forecourt think the same people own both. fish was gorgeous. There is a big foreign guy who seems to be the manager when he is there it is perfect, sometimes when he is off the oil can be dirty or you get small scrappy chips but never happened when he was there. It is open about 3/4 months now since the garage reopened. I live close by so it's a little to easy on my way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ciaran_h wrote: »
    Burdocks is only for tourists. Morellis Thomas st or Fuscos Meath st....best of all is original borza , crumlin cross

I'm no tourist. I'd rate Burdocks as the best in the city. It's a subjective thing, and wouldn't expect everyone to agree, but it's a perfectly valid opinion nonetheless. I'd never opt for Morellis over Burdocks. Kingfisher is grand, but not in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Leo Burdocks was such a disappointment tbh. Too pricey as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

I've eaten in the Kingfisher on Parnell St a few times and have yet to be disappointed though it is pricey for what you get. Never had a takeaway from there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sticksman wrote: »
    I've eaten in the Kingfisher on Parnell St a few times and have yet to be disappointed though it is pricey for what you get. Never had a takeaway from there though.

i came here to say the kingfisher. it is, imo head and shoulders above burdocks. i honestly dont know wht so many people seem to think that burdocks is good. its average and the branch in rathmines is terrible whereas the kingfisher is lovely
    fuscardi on capel street is great but i think its closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Kingfisher has to be the best in town, have tried the Fryer too and was very impressed. Most of the Italians are ok. Never rated Burducks or Beshoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Little bit further a field but Beshoff Bros on Haddington Road.

Mespil Road isn't it? Either way imo it's way to greasy! Bistro at Leonards Corner or Macaris in Inchicore would be my picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Kingfisher has to be the best in town, have tried the Fryer too and was very impressed. Most of the Italians are ok. Never rated Burducks or Beshoffs.

Most Italian chippers are crap imho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Had 'em all over and Burdock's Christchurch is my number 1. Very fond of Beshoffs in Howth and Mespil Road too. Plenty of really good chippers around but Burdock's is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Had 'em all over and Burdock's Christchurch is my number 1. Very fond of Beshoffs in Howth and Mespil Road too. Plenty of really good chippers around but Burdock's is the best.

you really havent tried the others if you think burdocks is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Burdocks Phibsborough Shopping Center is the best that i have had . ( that was 3 years ago and i hope that they are still open ?as i am back in Dublin next month) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

anto9 wrote: »
    Burdocks Phibsborough Shopping Center is the best that i have had . ( that was 3 years ago and i hope that they are still open ?as i am back in Dublin next month) .

It's open but is gone to the dogs. It might be in a different location to three years ago, it was on the NCR, it's now at the shopping centre.

anto9 wrote: »
    I ordered a delivery from there and there was a mobile phone in my chips. In the same bag touching the chips. I rang up to complain I was expecting replacement chips, the guy had a bottle of coke for my troubles. No chips that night for me and I haven't eaten there since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

where was burdocks when it was on the ncr? I cant remember at the moment

thanks

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

fuscardi on capel street is great but i think its closed

But there is also Fusciardi's on Marlborough Street, which is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

where was burdocks when it was on the ncr? I cant remember at the moment

thanks

It was opposite Kelly Carpets ,which used to be the State Cinema years ago .They were just before Phibsborough Library as you walk East .They moved to Phibsborough Shopping Centre about 8 years ago now .
    There used to be a slightly fat Chinese guy in charge ,but maybe he has since gone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

yeah, remember it now -thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

In my days as a student in the lat 80s early 90s, the fryer in Burdock's was coal fired.... there was something truly special about their chips back then - especially if you could not afford fish and you got a big scoop of the crispy bits....

I'm not sure when they replaced the coal fryer, but was back down there a while back and they were not the same at all....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

for me anyway you have to look outside the chippers now for something daycent.

the chippers are all basically using the same processed shiote.

L . Mulligan Grocer on manor st normally have some form of fish n chip on with beer mayo. unbeatable imo. The crap that passes for fish in chippers is outrageous.

Advertisement