Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fish n Chips in town

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

North Dublin but Beshoff's in howth. Tastiest and most expensive fish & chips around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    North Dublin but Bishops in howth. Tastiest and most expensive fish & chips around :P

How much for F+C in Millionares row ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

anto9 wrote: »
    How much for F+C in Millionares row ?

spelling error - its actually Beshoff's :o

Not to sure on prices haven't been there in a while

http://www.facebook.com/beshoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Tried the Fryer on the quays this evening and it was top notch. Chips were lovely as was the cod. My brother who's a chef had a taste and assured me it was proper cod and not hoki or pollock.
    Haven't tried Burdock's in Christchurch in years but have sampled from Phibsboro and the Epicurean food hall and both were overpriced crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Tried the Fryer on the quays this evening and it was top notch. Chips were lovely as was the cod. My brother who's a chef had a taste and assured me it was proper cod and not hoki or pollock.
    Haven't tried Burdock's in Christchurch in years but have sampled from Phibsboro and the Epicurean food hall and both were overpriced crap.

it can be coley as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I ordered a delivery from there and there was a mobile phone in my chips. In the same bag touching the chips. I rang up to complain I was expecting replacement chips, the guy had a bottle of coke for my troubles. No chips that night for me and I haven't eaten there since.

Were they silicone chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

"The Fish Bar" New Cabra Road, Dublin 7

Tasty fish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 youguessedit

Burdocks are over-rated, I'm afraid. A shadow of their former selves. Back in the days before the Celtic Tiger, when jobs were as scarce as they are now and tourists were even scarcer, Burdocks was a well-kept secret and very, very definitely the best chipper in town. I used to look forward to nipping across the road to spend a couple of quid of my dole money on cod and chips - refries of course. But after the fire in the late 80's (or was it early 90's?) the wonderful old gas-fired fryers were replaced with electric and nothing was ever the same again. Out went the refries and in came the Celtic Tiger, the hoards of tourists and the anaemic-looking, barely-cooked chips. [Sigh]

Oh, but the refries! The refries! Crispy bits can't hold a candle to 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

New chipper called The Fryer beside the petrol station on the quays is the nicest I have tasted in a long time. They freshly batter the fish in front of you which I think adds to the taste as a lot of places half cook the fish and they finish it off when you order. Their chips are gorgeous as well and their portions are big and prices lower than city centre. Hungry now and it's only 11am!!

I work there, not here to advertise it, just wanted to say thanks for the lovely review, and that it's called the Fryery, not the Fryer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I work there, not here to advertise it, just wanted to say thanks for the lovely review, and that it's called the Fryery, not the Fryer :P

Nice 1 have ya a website ?

Edit - I found this - http://www.facebook.com/TheFryeryTraditionalFishAndChips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Burdocks chips have always been mushy, overly greasy and anaemic looking every time I've had them from Christchurch.

Tales of their awesomeness are possibly Dublin's greatest culinary urban myth.

Do yis fresh batter the fish to order?

Deadly if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

vicwatson wrote: »
    Do yis fresh batter the fish to order?

Deadly if you do.

Yeah we do :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Got lunch from The Fryery based on this thread. Lovely moist flaky fish in soft fluffy batter. Thanks for the recommendations, all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Burdocks are over-rated, I'm afraid. A shadow of their former selves. Back in the days before the Celtic Tiger, when jobs were as scarce as they are now and tourists were even scarcer, Burdocks was a well-kept secret and very, very definitely the best chipper in town. I used to look forward to nipping across the road to spend a couple of quid of my dole money on cod and chips - refries of course. But after the fire in the late 80's (or was it early 90's?) the wonderful old gas-fired fryers were replaced with electric and nothing was ever the same again. Out went the refries and in came the Celtic Tiger, the hoards of tourists and the anaemic-looking, barely-cooked chips. [Sigh]

Oh, but the refries! The refries! Crispy bits can't hold a candle to 'em.

+1

The old Burdocks (Christchurch) was better. +1 for the old fryers. Current one is just ok. The other Burdocks around town seem quite poor though. Beshofs on mespil is ok. Otherwise I'm usually disappointed with chippers so I usually avoid them these days. Seems to be a queue outside that one on the queues regularly though I've not been in there.

lb1981 wrote: »
    So are you the dirt bag who seved me last week with dirt under your finger nails, the chips were blanched and hard and the fish was nothing special.. not a patch on the real burdocks or beshoffs

Why is there a fake Burdocks somewhere?:rolleyes:

Beshoff's on O'Connell Street is the best.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Beshoff,+O'Connell+Street+Upper,+Dublin,+Ireland&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.59616,79.013672&oq=beshoff+o&t=h&hq=Beshoff,&hnear=O'Connell+Street+Upper,+Dublin,+Ireland&z=16

You get served the food on a proper plate too!
    The fish, chips and coleslaw are top notch.

Not to be confused with Beshoff Bros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Why is there a fake Burdocks somewhere?:rolleyes:
    Yes the original in christchurch, the rest are just franchise , some of the burdock family still work in christchurch were the other ones are burdocks in name only , totally different quality of food.
    I like my chipers and as i have worked all over dublin i have been in quite a few ..for normal chipers macaris in blanch village or aldos in foxrock are top notch.

Where is aldos in Foxrock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Where is aldos in Foxrock?
    If you come in from the n11 turn right at cornalscourt go by dunnes and keep going it is just before the petrol station, not as far as pizza hut. out of all the chippers around there you never get a bad one and that could be 30 lads ordering food on a night shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bikestar

Eat in the fryery to day at lunch with a friend had chicken meal deal by two
    it was really nice as was the irish girl who looked after us:)

bikestar wrote: »
    Eat in the fryery to day at lunch with a friend had chicken meal deal by two
    it was really nice as was the irish girl who looked after us:)

What? You went to one of the last Chippers in Ireland that batters it's own fresh fish in front of you and you had a chicken meal - Philistine !!!:rolleyes:

Welcome to boards by the way !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

you really havent tried the others if you think burdocks is the best

Oh dear. I'd like to revise my opinion. Burdocks WAS the best but not any more. I went there on Friday for the first time in 2-3 years. Used to be by a mile the best, imo, but on Friday the chips were dry and tasteless and really not nice. Fish was ok but nothing special. I was bitterly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 billya

best chipper was in sth william st the del rio long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

billya wrote: »
    best chipper was in sth william st the del rio long gone
    Yeah, remember them well. If you were in there on Fridays and you ordered sausage and chips the server would "remind you" what day of the week it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Just ate in the fryery, nice shop, nice presentation, nice staff but battered sausage and chips 6/10. Maybe their fish is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

What do ye make of Malones on Dame St? Ate there last week couldn't complain. A bit tasteless maybe.

drove by fuscardi on capel street last saturday, its open again

drove by fuscardi on capel street last saturday, its open again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

sticksman wrote: »
    What do ye make of Malones on Dame St? Ate there last week couldn't complain. A bit tasteless maybe.

Aye, seems decent as a destination post pub for some soakage. Chips are crispy and dry and fish and sausages are battered per order which is rather refreshing.

Advertisement