Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance Armstrong being stripped of all titles.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

It's funny. I was just sayng to my father today that there will be many, many people who will continue to support Lance Armstrong because they just don't want to believe that he's guilty. My father laughed, and pointed out the damning evidence against him. To which I replied along the lines of there's none so deaf as those who don't want to hear. And I think this thread kinda proves it.

I've no ax to grind in any of this. I'm not a cycling fan. I'm neither a fan nor a hater with regards Armstrong. I'm a neutral who is interested in this story. Having read numerous reports on the matter though, I'm convinced that Armstrong cheated, and cheated on a grand scale. I think its fairly clear to a non-partisan observed, that the only reason he won't contest the charges is because he fears having all the damning evidence rehearsed in an open forum. This way, while he loses his titles and many fans, he will still retain the support of many who just can't stomach facing what appears to many as reality.

Just to add: illegal drugs and supplements have always been one step ahead of the detection mechanisms. As soon as the authorities come up with a means to detect one drug, another, better one is synthesised or developed. The idea therefore, that passing drugs' tests is conclusive proof that one is entirely free of drugs is laughable, and so laughable indeed as to be entirely disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Einhard wrote: »
    It's funny. I was just sayng to my father today that there will be many, many people who will continue to support Lance Armstrong because they just don't want to believe that he's guilty. My father laughed, and pointed out the damning evidence against him. To which I replied along the lines of there's none so deaf as those who don't want to hear. And I think this thread kinda proves it.

I've no ax to grind in any of this. I'm not a cycling fan. I'm neither a fan nor a hater with regards Armstrong. I'm a neutral who is interested in this story. Having read numerous reports on the matter though, I'm convinced that Armstrong cheated, and cheated on a grand scale. I think its fairly clear to a non-partisan observed, that the only reason he won't contest the charges is because he fears having all the damning evidence rehearsed in an open forum. This way, while he loses his titles and many fans, he will still retain the support of many who just can't stomach facing what appears to many as reality.

Then there's the people who actually have a clue, and realise that LA competed on a level playing field where everyone used something...
    The guy has been a role model professional. He's done so much good in his life, it's saddening to see his name dragged through the mud like this when his only REAL crime is being the best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Kev M wrote: »
    Then there's the people who actually have a clue, and realise that LA competed on a level playing field where everyone used something...

Ummm, if he competed on a level playing field wwhere everyone used something, that would mean that he also used something. You're agreeing with me... :confused:

The guy has been a role model professional. He's done so much good in his life,
    it's saddening to see his name dragged through the mud like this when his only
    REAL crime is being the best...

Ah now, here's the nub. If Armstrong was a complete douchebag, who hadn't survived cancer, and wasn't a genial, likeable guy, then people like you wouldn't be defending him. You're letting your emotions cloud your objectivity. I have read fairly extensively on this over the past while because it's an interesting case and, well, I like to read! It's pretty clear, IMO, that there is a huge amount of evidence against Armstrong.

Just answer me this: if Armstrong had nothing to hide, why not contest the charges? I know that if I was wrongly accused of something I would fight it like mad. More specifically, why doesn't he allow his samples taken prior to 1999 to be tested using the latest methods? Why...because he has something to hide.

Ummm, if he competed on a level playing field wwhere everyone used something, that would mean that he also used something. You're agreeing with me... :confused:

Ah now, here's the nub. If Armstrong was a complete douchebag, who hadn't survived cancer, and wasn't a genial, likeable guy, then people like you wouldn't be defending him. You're letting your emotions cloud your objectivity. I have read fairly extensively on this over the past while because it's an interesting case and, well, I like to read! It's pretty clear, IMO, that there is a huge amount of evidence against Armstrong.

Just answer me this: if Armstrong had nothing to hide, why not contest the charges? I know that if I was wrongly accused of something I would fight it like mad. More specifically, why doesn't he allow his samples taken prior to 1999 to be tested using the latest methods? Why...because he has something to hide.

Refer back to my first sentence, you're not one of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

g1345859880270131608.jpg

My view would be the same no matter who it was regarding what he's being punished for. His story just adds to the disappointment in the whole situation.

I never said I thought he was clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My view would be the same no matter who it was regarding what he's being punished for. His story just adds to the disappointment in the whole situation.

I never said I thought he was clean.

Most of his peers have already been caught, why should he be let off?

He's also made a point of attacking and shaming anyone who accused him for years.

I can't imagine any new winners will be appointed retrospectively as in most cases second and third are already tainted, in 2005 you'd have to go back to 8th place to find a clean winner.

Lance didn't just "level the playing field" he distributed drugs to his team-mates, encouraged their use and ran one of the most professional doping rings in the peleton. He had more money than anyone else to pump into medicine.

His team director Johan Bruyneel is still working and is on the USADA's list. We see further detail when they go after him.

The UCI have been despicable in how they've handled this, hopefully Pat McQuaid won't last long in his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Still people believe Armstrong. There is some right plonkers on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

if he really wants t o clear his name, he should leave them retest these samples, if he does not want retesting done, then that makes it questionable to me,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The guy has been a role model professional. He's done so much good in his life, it's saddening to see his name dragged through the mud like this when his only REAL crime is being the best...
    What a stupid post. It's entirely possible that the guy who should have won those races is some extremely talented but honest pro who, because he's clean, has trailed in behind 30 or 40 or 50 dopers. The fact that Armstrong was the best of the cheats does not mean that he deserves the titles. Can you imagine how good any of the clean riders have to be to compete against the dopers - to even be in the same race? And I'm afraid if you expect us to believe that every single professional rider in the world is cheating, then you are going to have to present some proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What a stupid post. It's entirely possible that the guy who should have won those races is some extremely talented but honest pro who, because he's clean, has trailed in behind 30 or 40 or 50 dopers. The fact that Armstrong was the best of the cheats does not mean that he deserves the titles. Can you imagine how good any of the clean riders have to be to compete against the dopers - to even be in the same race? And I'm afraid if you expect us to believe that every single professional rider in the world is cheating, then you are going to have to present some proof.

Sarcasm can be pretty sarcastic sometimes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Just an FYI for so many posters highlighting the lack of proof " beyond a reasonable doubt", that burden of proof is only required in criminal law.
    In this instance, the burden of proof is "the balance of probabilities" as 1 poster has said.

The fact that Armstrong was the best of the cheats does not mean that he deserves the titles.

Yes it does, or at the very least i believe it should now be accepted for what it was. That's the disagreement. Don't think it's really that 'stupid'.

Yes it does, or at the very least i believe it should now be accepted for what it was. That's the disagreement. Don't think it's really that 'stupid'.
    And what about the poor idealistic clowns who were trying to race him without the drugs? Guys who may well have been faster than him if he weren't cheating? Guys that the likes of Armstrong drove out of the sport as they learned they couldn't beat the cheats?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

So you think that would send out a good message? It's basically something like this - "Ah sure there was so many at it. He was obviously best at EPO-aided cycling compared to the others who were also EPO-aided. It was what it was and he's still the champ (of EPO-aided cycling). Forget about the few fools who didn't want it enough to pump roids in to themselves or have blood transfusions, sure they were never going to get near him anyway."

• Advertisement

And what about the poor idealistic clowns who were trying to race him without the drugs? Guys who may well have been faster than him if he weren't cheating? Guys that the likes of Armstrong drove out of the sport as they learned they couldn't beat the cheats?

That's the reality of the top level, in a lot of sports. And to be honest I would struggle to believe anyone in the tdf (especially in lance's prime) is clean, they just wouldn't keep up, in my opinion of course :) .. And to suggest that a lifetime natural rider could get to tdf level without ever having to overcome juiced competition only to then be driven out by big bad lance armstrong is also kind of unrealistic...

So you think that would send out a good message? It's basically something like this - "Ah sure there was so many at it. He was obviously best at EPO-aided cycling compared to the others who were also EPO-aided. It was what it was and he's still the champ (of EPO-aided cycling). Forget about the few fools who didn't want it enough to pump roids in to themselves or have blood transfusions, sure they were never going to get near him anyway."

Yess! Exactly. :) Good message though? Probably not. But then again gatlin and blake medaled in the 100m and nobody batted an eyelid so who knows...

The fact that Armstrong was the best of the cheats does not mean that he deserves the titles.

He wasn't the best _of the cheats_, he was the best _at cheating_.

He never was and never will be the best cyclist in the world, he just had access to more drugs.

That's the reality of the top level, in a lot of sports.
    What is the reality?
    And to be honest I would struggle to believe anyone in the tdf (especially in lance's prime) is clean, they just wouldn't keep up, in my opinion of course :) ..
    Which suggests that if there was a single clean athlete there he probably would have kicked everyone else's ass if it weren't for doping. But let's be sure the fastest doper keeps the title, huh?
    And to suggest that a lifetime natural rider could get to tdf level without ever having to overcome juiced competition only to then be driven out by big bad lance armstrong is also kind of unrealistic...
    It's not unrealistic, it has happened loads of times - to two Irish riders I can think of alone. God knows how many riders from the other 99.8% of the world's population were driven out.

hardCopy wrote: »

He never was and never will be the best cyclist in the world, he just had access to more drugs.

Really? What drugs specifically did he have that others didn't?

• Advertisement

When he comes out an admits it, we will know. Or perhaps the same drugs had the most marked effect on his body. Either way, he 'won' with drugs. Which is cheating. Which means he didn't win.

Meanwhile, I notice you ignored my post.

That's the reality of the top level, in a lot of sports.
    What is the reality?
    And to be honest I would struggle to believe anyone in the tdf (especially in lance's prime) is clean, they just wouldn't keep up, in my opinion of course :) ..
    Which suggests that if there was a single clean athlete there he probably would have kicked everyone else's ass if it weren't for doping. But let's be sure the fastest doper keeps the title, huh?
    And to suggest that a lifetime natural rider could get to tdf level without ever having to overcome juiced competition only to then be driven out by big bad lance armstrong is also kind of unrealistic...
    It's not unrealistic, it has happened loads of times - to two Irish riders I can think of alone. God knows how many riders from the other 99.8% of the world's population were driven out.

1. PEDs
    2. No it doesn't. The best guys would for the most part still be the best guys.
    3. Driven out by Lance in the tdf? Don't think so.

What? :confused: The drug cheats would still be faster, you mean? That's kind of my point. The fastest honest athlete in history couldn't beat them - so in all likelihood there were some clean riders who finished in the bottom half of the field who were actually the fastest non-cheats in the race - ergo the winner.
    You don't think the culture of doping, as perfected by Armstrong, drove honest riders out of the sport? Then you are lying to yourself or very naive. Or can't read. Try "Rough Ride", or ask Mark Scanlon.

By the way, do you think that Ben Johnson was the real winner of the Olympic hundred metres in 1988?

What? :confused: The drug cheats would still be faster, you mean? That's kind of my point. The fastest honest athlete in history couldn't beat them - so in all likelihood there were some clean riders who finished in the bottom half of the field who were actually the fastest non-cheats in the race - ergo the winner.
    You don't think the culture of doping, as perfected by Armstrong, drove honest riders out of the sport? Then you are lying to yourself or very naive. Or can't read. Try "Rough Ride", or ask Mark Scanlon.

By the way, do you think that Ben Johnson was the real winner of the Olympic hundred metres in 1988?

With or without all the drugs in the world, i dont think a kimmage or scanlon are the same calibre athlete as LA. But hey, speculate all day.
    Perfecting drug culture? How exactly?
    I've already read that, thanks though.
    I think ben johnson was the one unfortunate enough to be caught. Also being canadian may not have helped at the time given the actions and decisions that followed.
    Do you know anything about drugs? And regarding sprinting how do you feel about blake and gatlins recent medals and performances in general? Should they even be allowed compete?

With or without all the drugs in the world, i dont think a kimmage or scanlon are the same calibre athlete as LA. But hey, speculate all day.
    Based on what, his TDF wins? Wasn't there something fishy about them...oh yes, all the blood doping he was doing. So based on something else?
    By winning a record series of TDF without getting caught until he was finished? By 'encouraging' his team mates to join in his doping? By making it impossible for non-cheats to compete?
    I think ben johnson was the one unfortunate enough to be caught. Also being canadian may not have helped at the time given the actions and decisions that followed.
    Is that a yes or a no? :confused:
    Do you know anything about drugs? And regarding sprinting how do you feel about blake and gatlins recent medals and performances in general? Should they even be allowed compete?
    Yes, I know something about drugs. Re. Blake and Gatlin, it may well later transpire that they are doping - at which point I will say strip them of their medals, and you will presumably say 'yerra let them keep them'. And what chance does an honest athlete have then?

hardCopy wrote: »

USADA have described this as the most sophisticated doping ring every known. Nobody else could touch his levels of doping.

Doping at those levels turns it from a race into a war of money.

Not all dopers have access to the same drugs or doctors, nor they all see the same benefits.

The attitude that all racers doping ensures a level playing field shows a complete lack of understanding of how the doping game works.

Based on what, his TDF wins? Wasn't there something fishy about them...oh yes, all the blood doping he was doing. So based on something else?
    By winning a record series of TDF without getting caught until he was finished? By 'encouraging' his team mates to join in his doping? By making it impossible for non-cheats to compete?
    Is that a yes or a no? :confused:
    Yes, I know something about drugs. Re. Blake and Gatlin, it may well later transpire that they are doping - at which point I will say strip them of their medals, and you will presumably say 'yerra let them keep them'. And what chance does an honest athlete have then?

This will just keep going round in circles so i'll probably leave it with this post.
    I agree 100% with your morality on the matter and i wish cheating didn't exist. However it does, on a grand scale where far more get away with it than are caught. I just accept it and hate to see great athletes dragged through the mud over it, for doing whatever it takes to be competitive and win, whereas you and alot of people don't accept it. It's a loaded topic thats going nowhere soon.

This will just keep going round in circles so i'll probably leave it with this post.
    I agree 100% with your morality on the matter and i wish cheating didn't exist. However it does, on a grand scale where far more get away with it than are caught. I just accept it and hate to see great athletes dragged through the mud over it, for doing whatever it takes to be competitive and win, whereas you and alot of people don't accept it. It's a loaded topic thats going nowhere soon.
    Agreed - but to be consistent you need to either condemn all cheating or accept all cheating. I find it easier to do the former. The notion of any type of cheating being acceptable as long as you win is a bit repugnant to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Jesus lads. I'm as big an admirer of Armstrong as there is but I never doubted he doped and knew eventually the chickens would come home to roost. Now they have so there's no point in spitting out the soother over it.

I don't care that he's a d1ck, most elite individual athletes probably are fairly narcissistic. He's an outstanding physical specimen and to achieve what he achieved took some fairly unique characteristics and serious work. But he cheated.

If cycling wants to get it's name out of the gutter they HAVE to come after Armstrong. They can't let the guy who won an unprecedented 7 tours slip by into the history books when they were so sure there was evidence there to be found.

The non contest thing is a strategy from Armstrong. It means that despite all the evidence and stripping of the titles he can still claim there was never a fair trial. No mistake that trial would end one way and a lot of little yellow wristbands would end up in the bin but he can always claim he could have been aquitted.

He'll paint this as witch hunt but remember the lack of due process is HIS doing here, he was offered his day on court and refused.

I still think his books, his approach and his mental fortitude are admiral. I'm not surprised by any of this and it doesn't cange any of my views on elite sport and the athletes therein.

I can see a day like this in the not too distant future for Bolt. If anyone has the nuts to take that bandwagon on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

kevpants wrote: »

I can see a day like this in the not too distant future for Bolt. If anyone has the nuts to take that bandwagon on.

They'll never take him alive.......

characters_bolt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

what I just cannot understand is how come he was not caught:confused:. how can he win so much over so many years and the suspicion have been there but no actual proof........and by proof I mean a positive test resulting in a ban not witness accounts from others who have been caught.
    Also how did his teammates get caught and he didn't?:confused:

Are they saying his samples were actually positive but he had bribed the UCI to make them negative?

ppink wrote: »
    Are they saying his samples were actually positive but he had bribed the UCI to make them negative?
    The cheats have always been one step ahead of the testers. This is why Armstrong is opposed to having his old samples retested - he knows that they would be able to find traces of doping in them today. In addition, the few times he did actually get caught, the UCI were only too happy to accept back-dated medical prescriptions explaining away whatever they had found.

By coincidence, as a very wealthy man, he was a big donor to the cash-strapped UCI - the body that was supposed to be regulating his sport.

On a more amusing note:
    Lance Armstrong Lets Down Single Person Who Still Believed Him

AUSTIN, TX—Following cyclist Lance Armstrong’s announcement last night that he was dropping his opposition to charges that he used performance-enhancing drugs, a sense of profound disappointment reportedly settled over the single individual left on Earth who still believed he was innocent.

Gary Osgood, a 32-year-old sales account executive, and the only person in the world who did not react to the news that Armstrong would be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles with a shrug of his shoulders and a knowing nod, told reporters he was devastated by the story.

Saying he felt “truly let down” by Armstrong, Osgood expressed a sense of anger and frustration that more than 300 million U.S. residents had already experienced and come to terms with at least three years ago.

“I still can’t believe it,” said Osgood, displaying a profound bewilderment and shock that was felt by no one else in the world. “You really stand behind an athlete and then something like this happens. Honestly, I don’t even know what to say.”

“How could he disappoint us like this?” added a visibly stunned Osgood, the only human being in existence who was not completely expecting this exact news item to come out at some point.

Osgood—the lone individual who didn’t lose faith in the cyclist after numerous questionable blood tests and multiple claims by fellow cyclists that Armstrong was doping—reportedly experienced actual distress upon hearing the news, as well as a feeling of “sharp sadness” that was shared by an estimated 0 percent of his fellow Americans.

Though reports indicate the rest of humanity has gone about its day as if nothing shocking or surprising had happened, Osgood said he remained motionless on his couch for nearly 20 minutes this morning as he processed the news. In addition, unlike everyone else who is even vaguely aware of Lance Armstrong, at no point did he sarcastically say to a coworker or friend, “Didn’t see that one coming.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ppink wrote: »
    what I just cannot understand is how come he was not caught:confused:. how can he win so much over so many years and the suspicion have been there but no actual proof........and by proof I mean a positive test resulting in a ban not witness accounts from others who have been caught.
    Also how did his teammates get caught and he didn't?:confused:

Victor Conte said to fail a dope test is failing an IQ test. It's impossible to be caught unless you do something stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I just saw this in today's Irish Times:

Pat McQuaid say's UCI has nothing to apologize for, it is not responsible for the culture of doping in cycling when asked by David Millar if it should apologize for the doping scandal in cycling.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0922/1224324288708.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I thought I'd drag this back up from the depths as he's finally admitted it and the interview will be aired later this week.

Apparently he's also going to testify against UCI officials that may have helped conceal drug use within cycling. Sh1tstorm to come me thinks.

I couldn't care less about Armstrong at this point but I wonder will this have an effect on other sports and PED use within those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    I thought I'd drag this back up from the depths as he's finally admitted it and the interview will be aired later this week.

Apparently he's also going to testify against UCI officials that may have helped conceal drug use within cycling. Sh1tstorm to come me thinks.

I couldn't care less about Armstrong at this point but I wonder will this have an effect on other sports and PED use within those.

This is all getting very interesting. Can't wait for it all to be over so someone can write a book on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Hanley wrote: »
    This is all getting very interesting. Can't wait for it all to be over so someone can write a book on it!

Which bit? There are already quite a few books out there about doping in cycling. Tyler Hamilton has one which directly relates to this.

• Advertisement

Can't wait for it all to be over so someone can write a book on it!

'How I saved sport from itself by Lance Armstrong'.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Which bit? There are already quite a few books out there about doping in cycling. Tyler Hamilton has one which directly relates to this.

So does David Millar, an excellent book. I mean this specific case.
    'How I saved sport from itself by Lance Armstrong'.

Something like that alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyup

Hahahaha that's hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Usain Bolt & the Jamaican sprinters will be next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

The UCI seem like one of the dodgiest crowds out there from everything that has come out over the last few years. If LA does come out properly against them it will be interesting as AFAIK he has "donated" a nice bit of money to them over the years.

Didnt some of the lads who were involved in the WADA case against LA approach UCI a number of years ago but were ignored by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

I am not interested in this story tbh, but if this is such big news, then why are people not gunning down everyone else who is doping in sports? It's pretty rampant now. I don't really care about people taking drugs personally. If you're going to take them that's your own choice. But it's a different story when it comes to been an athlete and taking drugs in sports.

Drugs ruin the spirit of what sports is all about. If some are cheating and others are not, then it's not a game anymore it's a fraud.
    I really get annoyed when people lie about taking drugs and claim to take such titles as if they worked they way up natural . It's like, if you're doping and you go around claiming that you are naturally good at whatever competitive sport, it just makes you look weaker than you really are.

Sports is about pushing you to the test and setting your goals to win to the finish line. That's accomplishment. If you win a title and you're doping. Well it proves you didn't win the drugs won. You haven't accomplished your goals by yourself.

So the reality is, we either all dope in sports or none of us do. The sport industry today is ruined by the drug scene. It's time to be upfront about this issue. It's so ridiculous at this point that athletes will admit to almost anything and even admitting to taking other illegal substances before they'd ever admit to taking sport enhancing drugs. You can't clam to be natural if you take drugs, it's as simple as that. If you want to take drugs, play in sports where all competitors are on drugs. Let all the drugs users battle it out to be the biggest drug lord of the dopies!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Genuine question, how do you feel with regards to this case? I mean everything you said five months ago have been proven to absolutely and categorically wrong.

You don't seem to have reappraised what you said previously, or made any attempt to say, I might have been wrong their or that your opinion has changed.

What I want to know is has it changed, or are the Frenchies, the US courts, Kimmage, Walsh, Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreu and cancer haters still out to get Lance?
    Dont get me started. It's a ****ing disgrace.

USADA have no authority to tell UCI what to do anyway.
    He's fought it 3 times. The French went on a witch hunt 2x, THE US FEDERAL COURT F*CKING TOOK HIM ON AND LOST, there is nothing left to prove. He's beaten cancer, the world's best athletes, and the US and French justice system. The only thing that's "beaten" him is a committee which has decided to convict him with no evidence. You can't prove a negative. Complete bullsh*t.
    No. I'm a spam bot. would you like to buy some cheese.

If there was evidence, it would be EVERYWHERE by now. And by "evidence", I mean actual hard test results. A and B samples testing negative. But there isn't. Why is that...? The silence is deafening.

Do I believe he's fully clean? Probably. Has he operated in line with the system of detection and the rules at hand? 100%.
    As far as I'm aware the UCI are considering a legal challenge against the USADA on it?! I'd expect to see it go thru WADA and CAS for sure.
    If someone beats the system, then the system is f*cked. Superior performance and enemies with an axe to grind shouldn't be grounds for the presumption of guilt. I'd have been screwed in PL if that was the case considering how many times I was tested.

The amount of tests and processes LA underwent were rigourous. He's either the smartest and most careful man alive with the best lab techs in the world, the system is brutal, or he is clean. Any way, he hasn't tested positive.
    If he was such a good doper and forcing it on his teammates, why did they test positive/get caught?

It's funny that athletes who have been caught are now trying to wash their hands of it and blame Armstrong for "making" them do it.

As for Emma O'Reilly, I could be REALLY cynical and say her "nice quiet life" has become boring and she wants some publicity.

Aren't a lot of his blood tests still held? Now that they apparently know what they're looking for can they not test retrospectively?

How many times has he been tested over his career and not provided positive As and Bs?

I don't want to put my fingers in my ears and go "la-la-la", but why is there no evidence. If I committed a murder, but a body, weapons or footage was never found, could I be convicted based off what people were saying?!

Ares wrote: »
    Genuine question, how do you feel with regards to this case? I mean everything you said five months ago have been proven to absolutely and categorically wrong.

You don't seem to have reappraised what you said previously, or made any attempt to say, I might have been wrong their or that your opinion has changed.

What I want to know is has it changed, or are the Frenchies, the US courts, Kimmage, Walsh, Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreu and cancer haters still out to get Lance?

Read what I actually said, not what you think I said. And read it in context. It all still applies. There's nothing "wrong" there.

Find a post where I believed Armstrong was drug free (don't bother wasting your time - there is none). All my posts are in relation to how the case was conducted. And as someone who's had similar accusations thrown at them, I still think it was a bull**** investigation carried out as a witch hunt.

Armstrong's "actual" doping status is not something I've ever questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Here you go:

Do I believe he's fully clean? Probably.

onlyup wrote: »
    Hahahaha that's hilarious :pac:
    I know right. I don't get it :(
    Aquarius34 wrote: »

Drugs ruin the spirit of what sports is all about. If some are cheating and others are not, then it's not a game anymore it's a fraud.
    I really get annoyed when people lie about taking drugs and claim to take such titles as if they worked they way up natural . It's like, if you're doping and you go around claiming that you are naturally good at whatever competitive sport, it just makes you look weaker than you really are.

Well your assuming some are not. There's a certain amount of naivety in that as well as the assumption that an athlete on PED's isn't working very hard to be the best. I'd be almost certain the LA trained as bloody hard as any athlete to get where he did. You can't win the TdF by sitting on the couch eating corn flakes sprinkled with EPO. Not to mention all his competitors have been caught using too. None of that takes away from the fact he was cheating and should suffer the same consequences as others that have been caught but pro sports are knee deep in PED use as far I'm concerned. Also I kind of disagree apologists that say everyone is using so it's equal anyway. It's not. LA had resources not available to everyone and I'd imagine that put him ahead of most. I don't particularly like PED use but I don't see a way around it other than actions like this and hopefully improved testing in the future (now who's naive).
    Hanley wrote:
    I still think it was a bull**** investigation carried out as a witch hunt.

Was it really? He was using. He was one of the most successful athletes ever. Could the ADA's really let that go? You could argue the ends justify the means. Armstrong probably did.

A P wrote: »
    Here you go:

That should say "probably not". It's a typo. Move on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement