Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity in the city...

Options
  • 24-08-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

Just a quick question...I was sitting outside a city centre pub at about 9pm last night when a man approached our group selling €2 scratch cards for the Irish Wheelchair association - It seemed a bit odd to me that we were approached at 9pm at night while out...I watched him for a while after he came up to us and he seemed to be targeting tourists...Does anyone know if these people genuine or are they up to some sort of scam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could mail/ring the www.iwa.ie and ask if they even have scratch card sellers.
    But yeah I've been approached by seller for charities at most times of the day in the city, just never bought anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask to see his collection permit. Then watch him disappear very quickly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 M_Endo

Hi, Thanks for the posts - I took your advice and contacted the charity directly and they confirmed that they do not sell scratch cards to raise funds for their organisation, which means that this person was fraudulently posing as a volunteer for the charity. He had an ID card on him which he was showing...Are they collection permits JustMary or are they something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

We have a situation where we see those guys standing outside HMV and supermarkets where they are supposed to sell scratch cards for various
    charities ( they are legal ) , however people give them money and not buy cards. They only have to pay a certain amount back to the charities depending on cards sold. They pocket the loose money .they should not be allowed to collect money unless they sell a card , the charities dont care as long as they get paid. They are collecting under false notice. Also they can be very intimating . Do you have any comment !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

JJpedro wrote: »
    Do you have any comment !!!!!
    Yes, you are libelling these people. Unless you have proof (news articles or similar) this discussion stops here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JJpedro wrote: »
    We have a situation where we see those guys standing outside HMV and supermarkets where they are supposed to sell scratch cards for various
    charities ( they are legal ) , however people give them money and not buy cards. They only have to pay a certain amount back to the charities depending on cards sold. They pocket the loose money .they should not be allowed to collect money unless they sell a card , the charities dont care as long as they get paid. They are collecting under false notice. Also they can be very intimating . Do you have any comment !!!!!
    Do they put their hand in your pocket? Ignore them like most other people do.

Advertisement