Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone live or lived in...

Options
  • 24-08-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking at some houses/apartments to rent in Dublin and a few places have caught my eye - hoping to arrange viewings early next week but if anyone has experience/thoughts on:

The Lighthouse, East Wall
    Mountjoy Sq
    Stoneybatter
    Bakers Yard, North Portland Street
    Castleforbes Rd IFSC
    The Atrium, Island St

and

Distillery House, Drumcondra?

Any feedback welcome,

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

If I had a choice of any of those, I would take Mountjoy Square. I think it is an up-and-coming neighbourhood and excellently placed for the City Centre, airport, etc. Dorset St nearby has plenty of cheap shops and eateries.

Stoneybatter was trendy some years ago, but there are some very rough areas in that part of D7.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Thanks Boulevardier, think in terms of location it's ideal and I like the idea of living in that kind of neighbourhood but will need to make sure the building has been refurbished to a high standard, isnt exceptionally noisy etc.

Thanks for that on D7, good and not so good seem to be very cheek by jowl even by city standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If I had a choice of any of those, I would take Mountjoy Square. I think it is an up-and-coming neighbourhood and excellently placed for the City Centre, airport, etc. Dorset St nearby has plenty of cheap shops and eateries.

Stoneybatter was trendy some years ago, but there are some very rough areas in that part of D7.
    Having lived in D7 most of my life , its a great area.
    Granted it has some rough spots but everywhere does.

Its close to town, phoenix park. M50. Has numerous busses .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mountjoy Sq is right beside Croke Park. Road closures, large crowds, anti social behaviour, hassle with parking etc etc will be an issue on big match and concert days. If you have a car, look into the parking situ before you sign a lease. There isn't a lot of it in that neck of the woods. In fact, I'd say that about all of your choices. Don't presume that a parking space is included in your lease. Very often it will not be, but the estate agents don't tell you that. Don't presume that that there will be spaces for visitors. Very often there will not be any at all, especially the closer to the city centre that you get.

Re Castleforbes Sq, there isn't all that much down there in terms of facilities, ammenities, shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs etc etc within a reasonable and safe walkable distance. You'd have to get the Luas everywhere. There is a lot more stuff within a safe walking distance closer to the Connolly Station end of the IFSC. Caslteforbes area is also quite rough. I looked at apts there last year. Decided against it as the walk from the Luas stop after dark creeped me out and its was only a couple of blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I've lived in Stoneybatter for the past 3/4 years.

Great place to live. Nice local pubs. Lighthouse cinema right there. Bus into town in a few minutes. Walk to town in about 25 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Glendambo

My sister lives in The Lighthouse. She loves it. Quiet area and she works from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

ive seen a lot of appartments on actual mountjoy square and some are decent but alot are done to terrible standard -area is fine enough though -the modern appartments beside teh bus depot tend to have parking included

Stoneybatter is a nice area in general -more than likely will have on street parking -chances of the car having a wing mirror kicked off or more is quite high but then again most on street places have that risk.

Distillery appartments are very nice, 15 min walk from town, plenty of amenities etc, near to croke park for match days but you will be surprised how quick the are is vacated after a game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I live around the corner from Stoneybatter and have done for about six years. It's not dangerous or anything but it can be pretty noisy near Dorset Street.

Mountjoy Square is fine, I've had a few friends live around there in the last year. Never really complaints. I'd say it's better to be Irish than non-Irish around the area.

TBH, once you keep to yourself you'd be fine in either of those two places. Though I'd recommend Stoneybatter first from the both of them.

Not trying to pick an argument but why do you think it is better to be irish than non irish in that area? I think there are more non-irish in the area than irish and havent seem much hassle at all in over 14 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Not trying to pick an argument but why do you think it is better to be irish than non irish in that area? I think there are more non-irish in the area than irish and havent seem much hassle at all in over 14 years

Oh just experience. A few non Irish people I know said they had some things said to them, etc. It's safe enough but I suppose it's just based on how you carry yourself really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yeah never mind Summer Hill, Sean O'Casey Ave, they're so up and coming the apartments are shít and have no parking either, terrible choice imo. I'm not saying the area is rough but just as "rough" if not worse than D7 :rolleyes: But the majority of apts are so crap they're not even worth viewing.

Personally out of that bunch I'd go with the IFSC, just for location and the fact I work there, Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Lived in Clonliffe Square next to Distillery so can only really comment on area. I know though that Distillery are nicer apartments than Clonliffe Square. Overall its a grand area. Close to the IFSC when you walk through a few estates. Bit of a pain to get to a supermarket, only Centra within walking distance or Tesco about a 15-20 min walk away on Drumcondra Road.Wasn't really into Ballybough Road but each to their own. What I liked most was the buzz on match/concert days. I did however get my bike robbed from the bike shed but that can happen anywhere. Still though shouldn't happen in the first place. I probably wouldn't live there again though tbh but its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I live on Mountjoy Square, great place, park, close to city centre, close to stadium. Buses nearby and luas just down the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Ive lived on dorset st but now live in stoneybatter and i rather have the latter. Great pubs, places to eat, good take-aways, two tescos a mcdonalds on the navan rd, nice bakery....has most things you need and is close to town.

Granted there is a lot of rough around, particularl around drumalee, but 18months on ive had no issue. So id recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

Looking at some houses/apartments to rent in Dublin and a few places have caught my eye - hoping to arrange viewings early next week but if anyone has experience/thoughts on:

The Lighthouse, East Wall
    Mountjoy Sq
    Stoneybatter
    Bakers Yard, North Portland Street
    Castleforbes Rd IFSC
    The Atrium, Island St

and

Distillery House, Drumcondra?

Any feedback welcome,

S

Mountjoy square is a hidden gem and brilliant value for money. close to o connell street and shops.

IFSC is a bit poncey and dead after 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Mountjoy Square is fine, I've had a few friends live around there in the last year. Never really complaints. I'd say it's better to be Irish than non-Irish around the area.

.[/QUOTE]

non nationals there tend to have jobs, while the nationals just off the square do not and live in Calcutta like poverty.

BTW the 16 goes through the square enroute to the airport.

I never felt unsafe in the square and my non national friends ever said anything about racial abuse.

thanks everyone, to update - really like 2 places in Stoneybatter just off Arbour Hill - I haven't seen much online about the prison, it doesn't impact on the safety or anything of the area does it?

This is a more general question but going by daft.ie 1,200 a month for a (decently enough specced, large enough) 2 bed house in the area is more or less the going rate isn't it? seems like a lot, though we can afford it, its about 200 more than i'd anticipated, unfortunately would i be right in saying there won't be much around that mark?

I saw quite a lot when I was looking last month for around the 800-900 mark some were 2 bed appartments and some were 2 bed houses

As for the prison- no impact at all -never see anything outside but prison staff walking to and fro from work, its a nonce prison mainly

Canon Hall on upper sheriff st seems to be the front runner, hope we're not making a mistake! Thanks for all the feedback!

Advertisement