Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employment Law

• 24-08-2012 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Currently working with no electricity, no running water and no toilet facilities.. Completed two 12 hours shifts yesterday...

Also one month worked a whole week on a building site fit for a dog, we had a generator for the light bulb, again no toilet, no running water and no heat during night shifts...

Can this be right and just in todays age???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No its not legal. Contact nera.
    I once worked security on a site and we got a visit from the I.S.P.C.A who were checking all sites in the area for guard dogs and if there was a guard dog was it being kept properly. The guy informed me that if we kept a dog in the conditions that people were expected to work in we would have been all prosecuted(right up to the m.d.) for animal cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

Thats the problem with site security, no one sees you so no one cares...

I worked in a security job where we could end up sitting on the top of a mountian watching a truck, I often had to stand around sallys gap with no where to shelter and only myself for company....

I let them do it to me so its my fault, but if I was smarter then I would have jacked in the job and headed home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Currently working with no electricity, no running water and no toilet facilities.. Completed two 12 hours shifts yesterday...

Also one month worked a whole week on a building site fit for a dog, we had a generator for the light bulb, again no toilet, no running water and no heat during night shifts...

Can this be right and just in todays age???

Two twelve hour shifts in less than 46 hours is also an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

ken wrote: »
    No its not legal. Contact nera.
    I once worked security on a site and we got a visit from the I.S.P.C.A who were checking all sites in the area for guard dogs and if there was a guard dog was it being kept properly. The guy informed me that if we kept a dog in the conditions that people were expected to work in we would have been all prosecuted(right up to the m.d.) for animal cruelty.

Thats interesting the dog had to be kept in the same condition as the employee??
    oldat31 wrote: »
    Thats the problem with site security, no one sees you so no one cares...

I worked in a security job where we could end up sitting on the top of a mountian watching a truck, I often had to stand around sallys gap with no where to shelter and only myself for company....

I let them do it to me so its my fault, but if I was smarter then I would have jacked in the job and headed home.

Smarter we have unions for this stuff???
    Two twelve hour shifts in less than 46 hours is also an issue.

i have often done 36 hours in less the 72 hours... and make it worse they would be nights...

My point is this i don't think its acceptable and its been going on now for a while and i am sick to the teeth of it... should i contact union or solicitor???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Thats interesting the dog had to be kept in the same condition as the employee??
    No,the dog gets better treatment. I was in a 6 foot square hut with no running water. A guard dog has to have a 6*10 house with a 20*60 run with fresh water available 24*7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

No,the dog gets better treatment. I was in a 6 foot square hut with no running water. A guard dog has to have a 6*10 house with a 20*60 run with fresh water available 24*7.

A dog also licks it's own arse and ****es in the street, what's your point?

Did you get tricked into the job? Did you not know what you'd be doing?

Do you expect your employers to arrange running water and heating at every site they are contracted for? Should they pass this cost onto the customer or take it directly from your wages? I doubt they'd be in business for long either way.

Wise up, if it's that bad quit. If not, pipe down.

Thats funny cause the hut we had was tiny... absolutely tiny.. you wouldn't believe, you can almost fit a chair in there.... 12 hours in your car is not nice!!!

bigneacy wrote: »
    A dog also licks it's own arse and ****es in the street, what's your point?

Did you get tricked into the job? Did you not know what you'd be doing?

Do you expect your employers to arrange running water and heating at every site they are contracted for? Should they pass this cost onto the customer or take it directly from your wages? I doubt they'd be in business for long either way.

Wise up, if it's that bad quit. If not, pipe down.

come ere dick head, who do you think you are... i have worked for 8 years in the same industry and feel compelled to work as i have mortgage and kids to fed... never before have i seen it this bad and i work for a international company...

So what your saying to me is when a company is offered a job even though the conditions don't fit normal health and safety requirements they should take it on and not give a **** about the employee...

Thats what happened for ten years in this last decade that crippled the irish republic for ever more, stupid, greedy thinking that i believe would make the likes of micheal collins would turn in there grave...

People like you destroy the boards.ie website honestly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Well that escalated quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

bigneacy wrote: »

Actually, yes. Employers are responsible for creating a safe working environment - under statute and Common Law.

If you if are not aware of even basic legal principles, perhaps you should keep your ignorant commentary to yourself and stop antagonizing a hard working man trying to support his family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement