Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Class

• 24-08-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm in 6th year this year and I'm an Atheist. Religion class is such a waste of time for me. It has no benefit to me and I'd rather be studying or doing some work. There is a Muslim girl in my class and she does not have to participate in the class, she just does homework and studies, so I'm wondering if I am obligated to take part, or does my school have to recognise that I'm an Atheist and let me just do study during the religion class ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

are you actually aethist or simply a lapsed catholic?
    don't jump down my throat just asking ! :)
    i think it would depend on how you broach the subject with school management - be prepared for a no though unless you are well documented since your early days as being atheist - they wont' want to open the floodgates to every single student opting out of re perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Religion "class" (the non exam subject one) is a complete joke and waste of time. Tell them you won't be taking part in it. Whether you're Atheist or not is irrelevant, the class is a waste of valuable time that could be spent doing something useful rather than just watching movies which is usually what Religion class descends to.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

I'm sure a lot of people in your class are atheists too. Although some argue that the subject is taught through a certain perspective, it is meant to be multi-denominational. Therefore, your religious beliefs (or lack thereof) shouldn't be an argument towards individual treatment. Anybody can be expunged from religion class if their parents contact the school (which is what the parents of the Muslim girl in your class must have done). If it's really bothering you that much, ask your parents to call the school and they'll figure something out. Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm in 6th year this year and I'm an Atheist. Religion class is such a waste of time for me. It has no benefit to me and I'd rather be studying or doing some work. There is a Muslim girl in my class and she does not have to participate in the class, she just does homework and studies, so I'm wondering if I am obligated to take part, or does my school have to recognise that I'm an Atheist and let me just do study during the religion class ?:confused:
    What kind of school is it?

If it's one with a religious ethos, and you / your parents accepted that by enrolling you there, no, they don't have to recognise that you're an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UpAllNight_00

Yes I'm a real atheist, both my parents are Atheists. My school is a catholic school but other religions are allowed and they do not have to take part in the religion class. I think it's unfair that my lack of a religion isn't recognised. It's a waste of my time. Thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If you're solely learning about Christianity, then I wouldn't bother with it. Get out. If you're learning about other religions as well as Christianity, it's a useful class. If you're arsing around watching movies and/or studying/doing homework, just stick it out.

If they're teaching you about the Bible, point out the various hilarities that lie within it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

But if you and your parents are atheists (and I am myself an atheist before you respond), why is it only becoming an issue now rather than when you started in the school? Because what the school will probably say is why did you parents not ask for you to be excluded from religion in first year instead of in sixth year, and they won't want a wave of Leaving Cert students proclaiming they're atheists and coming and going from classes as they please. Schools have to be accountable for your whereabouts at all times.

Younger students never post about this on the forum, not even fifth years, it's exclusively Leaving Certs which points more to wanting the classes for study rather than an innate need to express their lack of belief.

Also having a couple of classes a week where you are not buried in exam subject work is good for you. It's a break if anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

But if you and your parents are atheists (and I am myself an atheist before you respond), why is it only becoming an issue now rather than when you started in the school? Because what the school will probably say is why did you parents not ask for you to be excluded from religion in first year instead of in sixth year, and they won't want a wave of Leaving Cert students proclaiming they're atheists and coming and going from classes as they please. Schools have to be accountable for your whereabouts at all times.

Younger students never post about this on the forum, not even fifth years, it's exclusively Leaving Certs which points more to wanting the classes for study rather than an innate need to express their lack of belief.

Also having a couple of classes a week where you are not buried in exam subject work is good for you. It's a break if anything else.
    I agree, as long as it's not a class of indoctrination, lies and/or forced morals.

Advertisement