Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for inspiration ... ideas welcome

Options
  • 24-08-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I currently have a 16ft by 24ft slab of 9-12 inch thick concrete in my garden. I inherited it from the previous owner.

I also have 6 bales of bricks (approx 2400) and loads of timber (4x4 square fence posts, 6x2s and 7x1s).

The concrete slab has a fall of about 2 inches and sits proud of the surrounding ground.

Im thinking of building a bbq area on it, possibly with a covered seating/shelter etc.

Does anyone have anything similar or know of anything like it. Pics would be brilliant. Or even other ideas for it.

Cheers,

Catastrophy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hard to say, it could be made to look amazing, or it might be in completely the wrong place, in shade, too near/far from the house, etc. As ponddigger says, a photo would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

What did the previous owner use it for or did they have a plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

bbq, water feature and seating area would be what i would go for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Use the blocks and timber to create raised beds down either side,plant some nice plants,incorperate a small water feature and then add some nice benches along with a BBQ.

Job done.:)

• Advertisement

nice job paddy...

nice job paddy...

Nice job "my girlfriend"...she did it all.;):D

fair play to her,suppose you were supporting from the sidelines with a nice cold beer in your hand....where did ya get them sleepers?? how much were they

fair play to her,suppose you were supporting from the sidelines with a nice cold beer in your hand....where did ya get them sleepers?? how much were they

The reclaimed sleepers came from Wicklow,but the chap who sold them to us is gone bust unfortunately now.:(

At the time,we got them for 25 euro a sleeper,plus 50 euro for the delievery truck from Wicklow to North Dublin.

We got 25 sleepers in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

Hi guys,

I currently have a 16ft by 24ft slab of 9-12 inch thick concrete in my garden. I inherited it from the previous owner.

I also have 6 bales of bricks (approx 2400) and loads of timber (4x4 square fence posts, 6x2s and 7x1s).

The concrete slab has a fall of about 2 inches and sits proud of the surrounding ground.

Im thinking of building a bbq area on it, possibly with a covered seating/shelter etc.

Does anyone have anything similar or know of anything like it. Pics would be brilliant. Or even other ideas for it.

Cheers,

Catastrophy.

Hi Catastrophy How did ou get on ?

Yes I agree with above mentioned posters that its advisable to have seating ares around the BBQ and even a raised bed or two to make it more sheltered and what better to have a few veg nxt to your BBQ. But I would plant veg into raised beds made from sleepers.

Having a nice slab of concrete is half the battle won and bales of bricks lying about is brilliant so are you fin and do you have some pics?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How about some built in seating, and a fire pit that can become a bbq with a rack on top.

See here for what I mean.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/551028/Outside-rooms-contemporary-exterior-austin

If you look up outdoor rooms on houzz there is loads of inspiration. Built in outdoor fridges... Linking indoor to outdoor. Think big. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Thanks for all the responses, I totally forgot about this thread. As a bit of an update I've decided to put a timber storage shed on the slab. I've three mature beech trees to fell and need somewhere to dry the timber.

Advertisement