Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/advice with a particular lick

Options
  • 24-08-2012 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've hit an impass with a certain technique I've been trying to improve on. Technically it's quite a simple lick, & I can play it slowly no problems. The problem is when I try to put speed into it. I feel like my technique is wrong, I don't know if there should be pull off's/hammer ons, & I also don't know if I should be sweeping it or playing every note. My approach to it now has all fogged up & I need help if anyone can maybe advise on the best way to improve on it :(

Here's the lick itself:

Here's another vid, this guy seems to sweep it...but again, it's far from a tutorial. The lick begins around the 0:50 mark:

And finally here it is in action at about 0.08 or so:

I can't get anything near the clarity those guys are getting as I'm messing/mushing it up. Has anyone any tips, again I can play it slowly, the problem lies when I put speed into it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

EnterNow wrote: »
    I can play it slowly, the problem lies when I put speed into it

Play it at a comfortable speed first, then gradually up the tempo until you have it at the correct speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Rigsby wrote: »
    Play it at a comfortable speed first, then gradually up the tempo until you have it at the correct speed.

I've been trying that cheers, but the problem is at speed the technique isn't the same as playing it slower. Do you know this particular lick? If so, can you advise on the technique you use on both hands when played at full speed i.e sweeping/picking/hammer ons/pull offs etc etc?

Cheers

Advertisement